Re: [bolger] Digest Number 1084 . . . the $5.oo 'OOPS'

  • Ron Magen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2002
      The next time you're there, look at the 'color additive turntable'. You
      should see one or two 'tubes' marked 'OOPS'.

      What happens is that they ADD some of this material/color/whatever to
      any returned containers BEFORE it's put on the cart. [the reason for
      this is so no unscrupulous person can buy a can, use a bit, return it,
      then RE-BUY it for .52 cents a quart !! ].

      I usually look at the cart every time I go in, and have a LOT of quarts.
      If I later want to duplicate the color, they can typically duplicate it
      from the reflectance of a sample. Not everytime, though. I got a quart
      the 'Designer Brand' "Ballroom Gold". It was just right for simulating
      burnished bronze on some wood items I was making for Joanne.
      Anticipating further use, I asked about more; it didn't look like it had
      been changed. We took a fresh can off the shelf, put both on the shaker,
      and compared them. There DEFINITELY was a difference, something had been
      added, AND you could see that 'something' wasn't really going into
      solution with the 'original' paint in the 'oops' can. It does seem to
      'go on' better with un-painted wood.

      My experience, anyway.

      Ron Magen
      Backyard Boatshop