Re: [bolger] Why no pontoons?

  • Richard Spelling
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 1, 2002
      I'd be interested in hearing what was in that letter...

      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 1, 2002
        Could be building shed or storage limitations.
        Mark

        jmbell1 wrote:

        I'm not sure why
        > you'd want the bow to fold though. c
      • danbollinger
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 2, 2002
          > You might check out the Bantam 16/20.
          > Peter

          Hey, Let's build three hulls instead of two and make it just as ugly!

          ;)
        • pvanderwaart
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 2, 2002
            > Hey, Let's build three hulls instead of two and make it just as
            ugly!

            Granted the Bantam is "utilitarian" in appearance (at least without
            its glass house), it is hydrodynamically a pretty reasonable craft.
          • proaconstrictor
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 2, 2002
              There are some nice pontton boats, and I can't think of a reasonable
              reason against them. they can be designed as extreme low resistence
              boats. See my BassAckwards over at Duckworth, which is smaller than
              what you sound to be after, and have a look at Bolger Saint
              something, which is very simmilar, though mine was designed first.
              Also his is a sharpies type, so would plane a lower energy input than
              mine, which was designed as displacement only.

              I wish I had copied his motor mount, since mine turned out to be too
              high.
            • echo172@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 29, 2006
                Anyone know if Bantam has been built?

                It can be found in Bolger cartoons, FYI

              • Kristine Bennett
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 29, 2006
                  I've seen photos of two of them and one was built and
                  then pushed to 31 or 32 feet as I recall. The builder
                  didn't like the small aft deck. I think you will find
                  that one on Duckworks.

                  I think it's a great little boat.

                  Blessings Krissie

                  --- echo172@... wrote:

                  > Anyone know if Bantam has been built?
                  >
                  > It can be found in Bolger cartoons, FYI

                  > removed]

                • Bob Slimak
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 30, 2006
                    There are at least 4 Bantams done. The first one was built to the original plans in Nantucket and was written up in M.A.I.B., with a cover photo, a few back. He has since made considerable changes, including the double bottom update. The second one finished was the one Kristine mentions as having be stretched to 31 feet. That one is in Indian River Florida. He first built it the original size, but did not build the folding cabin, and built the cabin top in one layer of 3/8" ply instead of the foam ply laminate. He latter stretched it, but did not build the updated double bottom as he runs only in protected waters. The third one was built, also modified from the plans, and is somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. Bellingham seems to ring a bell in my memory :) I was last in contact with him Last fall when he had launched it without the cabin, anxious to try it out. I assume he finished the cabin during winter, spring?
                    The fourth one is mine, in Duluth, MN. It is the updated double bottom version, stretched to 22'. It does have the folding cabin, but I did not make the bow detachable as I never plan to be storing it in a garage. I have not been on the Bolger site since last Dec. when I went to Panama for the winter. When I got back I went right to work on the boat, launched in July and have been too busy boating and making some changes to report on it. I just folded the cabin this afternoon for the winter, which is coming tomorrow, according to the forecast. Anyway, now that boating here is done for the year I will try to figure out how to post some photos next week.
                    Bob

                  • Kristine Bennett
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 30, 2006
                      OK here is a question the group, how many diffrent
                      power catamarans and trimarans had PCB designed that
                      are under 30 feet?

                      I know of the Trashcat, the Fishcat and the Bantam.
                      Now many others are there?

                      Blessings to All
                      Kristine

                      (http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited)
                    • proaconstrictor
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 30, 2006

                        I didn't know about the Bantam or Trashcat. There is the trimaran
                        houseboat, and the Saint somethingorother small cat with the outboard.

                        ______________

                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 31, 2006
                          > > OK here is a question the group, how many diffrent
                          > > power catamarans and trimarans had PCB designed that
                          > > are under 30 feet?

                          Also, Singlehander Catamaran aka "A Fast and Light Singlehander",
                          SBJ#27(Cartoon 3) and BWAOM Chapter 52-pg269.

                          Also, the queen of them all, Double Eagle, longer at 42 ft.
                        • graeme19121984
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 1, 2006
                            > > > OK here is a question the group, how many diffrent
                            > > > power catamarans and trimarans had PCB designed that
                            > > > are under 30 feet?

                            4 or 5. How to count? Designed for straight power, or auxiliary
                            power? Those that reasonably could have auxiliary power, though not
                            shown as such?

                            The designs index lists about 9 to 10, or so, depending how you
                            count them. A few are studies/earlier plans that became somewhat
                            different plans.

                            There's Bolger indications there are more than have been published,
                            or are in the index, eg the Bolger vee-bottom, inboard, stay
                            sail "Cruising Cat(-amaran)" in Derek Harvey's "Multihulls for
                            Cruising and Racing". It had moderate beam as reportedly Bolger
                            reasoned that gave a less jagged stability curve and compact
                            berthing.

                            There used to be earlier this year, current photos of a Bolger 24'
                            aquaculture power catamaran built at the Old Wharf Dory yard that
                            was still a goer: http://www.oldwharf.com/history.html It had
                            moderate twin ob power, vee-bottoms deeper at the bow and flattening
                            astern, kinda beamy hulls with lowish freeboard, sheltered helm, and
                            good speed on the plane I would think. I think there's a pic in one
                            of the bolgergroups.

                            Seems to be only 5 straight power multis: Bantam, Fishcat, Trashcat;
                            and the two Power Cats, #480, and #598, the first of which the Old
                            Wharf Dory yard example is likely to be, and the second may be a PCB
                            supplied version of the CSD Fishcat #469... making it 4 in all that
                            are known.

                            Graeme
                          • proaconstrictor
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 2, 2006
                              Here is the little power cat St Jan:

                              http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/01/articles/champlain/index.htm

                              I'm partial to this design since I quite aside made a similar boat to
                              my own design, as a prototype for a charter cat, since kids have
                              enjoyed it. Bolger's was originally designed as a Yulloh testing
                              platform, if I remember correctly, so the hull shape may not be ideal
                              for power. Good concept though.
                            • Kristine Bennett
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 2, 2006
                                Yes I had seen that one but was not sure if it was
                                PCB&Fs design or an idea someone had and used ideas
                                of PCB. But it's along the idea I have for a powercat.

                                I should send Phil a letter and see what he has to
                                say.

                                Blessings All Kristine

                                --- proaconstrictor <proaconstrictor@...> wrote:

                                > Here is the little power cat St Jan:

                                http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/01/articles/champlain/index.htm

                                (http://voice.yahoo.com)
                              • proaconstrictor
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 2, 2006

                                  > Yes I had seen that one but was not sure if it was
                                  > PCB&Fs design or an idea someone had and used ideas
                                  > of PCB. But it's along the idea I have for a powercat.
                                  >

                                  > I should send Phil a letter and see what he has to
                                  > say.
                                  >
                                  > Blessings All Kristine

                                  Good idea, I recall the article in MAIB, and it was a Phil project but
                                  for Yulloh testing therefore displacement hull stuff. After that
                                  interest passed, it was used for the kind of thing in the picture, and
                                  then it was passed on, and then it rotted out.
                                • proaconstrictor
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 6, 2006
                                    Kristine,

                                    you have probably already seen this. But it comes as close to being
                                    economical, fast to build, resaleable, and seriously useful as one is
                                    likely to find, short of a personal design. One issue that I would ask
                                    about first is that amas are not necesarily good models for powercat
                                    hulls. The deal is for a few thou you buy pre-molded epoxy
                                    glass "pans" that are just glued to whatever square box superstructure
                                    you want to use. Or build the kit, or buy the boat.

                                    http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?
                                    &units=Feet&checked_boats=1547873&lang=en&slim=broker&&hosturl=multimari
                                    ne&&ywo=multimarine&