Re: [bolger] Why no pontoons?

  • wmrpage@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 1, 2002
      richard@... writes:

      > Maybe they are to ugly for even Bolger to design!
      > (JUST KIDDING!)

      You may have hit the mark. I ordered plans for "Hawkeye" from Bolger last
      year, thinking that I could contrive a center-console deck-boat out of it
      that would perform the functions of a poontoon boat, desired by my mother,
      without the exciting my father's violent anti-pontoon attitude.

      I mentioned this in my order to Bolger and received a nice handwritten letter
      back from him which emphatically endorsed my father's anti-pontoon aesthetic.
      (Bolger did give qualified approval the notion of building "Hawkeye" as a
      deck-boat, with the proviso that seating be placed on the centerline.) (Mind
      you, I don't think that "Hawkeye" deserves many more points on aesthetics
      than a pontoon boat.)

      Apart from aesthetic issues, I can't imagine that there is much of an
      intellectual challenge in designing a pontoon floats. I believe Glen-L has
      plans for plywood pontoon floats, useful for someone who wished to have
      skin-thickness, plywood lay-out and scantlings prepared for them. As far as
      shape and dimensions are concerned, I think it would take a great deal of
      imagination to come up with a shape that wouldn't work.

      Ciao for Niao,
      Bill in MN

    • Richard Spelling
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 1, 2002
        I'd be interested in hearing what was in that letter...

        | In a message dated 7/1/02 9:55:09 AM Central Daylight Time,
        | richard@... writes:
        |

        | > Maybe they are to ugly for even Bolger to design!
        | > (JUST KIDDING!)
        | >

        | You may have hit the mark. I ordered plans for "Hawkeye" from Bolger last
        | year, thinking that I could contrive a center-console deck-boat out of it
        | that would perform the functions of a poontoon boat, desired by my mother,
        | without the exciting my father's violent anti-pontoon attitude.
        |
        | I mentioned this in my order to Bolger and received a nice handwritten
        letter
        | back from him which emphatically endorsed my father's anti-pontoon
        aesthetic.
        | (Bolger did give qualified approval the notion of building "Hawkeye" as a
        | deck-boat, with the proviso that seating be placed on the centerline.)
        (Mind
        | you, I don't think that "Hawkeye" deserves many more points on aesthetics
        | than a pontoon boat.)
        |
        | Apart from aesthetic issues, I can't imagine that there is much of an
        | intellectual challenge in designing a pontoon floats. I believe Glen-L has
        | plans for plywood pontoon floats, useful for someone who wished to have
        | skin-thickness, plywood lay-out and scantlings prepared for them. As far
        as
        | shape and dimensions are concerned, I think it would take a great deal of
        | imagination to come up with a shape that wouldn't work.
        |
        | Ciao for Niao,
        | Bill in MN
        |

        | [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        |

        | Bolger rules!!!
        | - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging dead horses
        | - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred' posts
        | - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts and <snip> away
        | - To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
        01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
        | - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        | - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      • Mark Albanese
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 1, 2002
          Could be building shed or storage limitations.
          Mark

          jmbell1 wrote:

          I'm not sure why
          > you'd want the bow to fold though. c
        • danbollinger
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 2, 2002
            > You might check out the Bantam 16/20.
            > Peter

            Hey, Let's build three hulls instead of two and make it just as ugly!

            ;)
          • pvanderwaart
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 2, 2002
              > Hey, Let's build three hulls instead of two and make it just as
              ugly!

              Granted the Bantam is "utilitarian" in appearance (at least without
              its glass house), it is hydrodynamically a pretty reasonable craft.
            • proaconstrictor
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 2, 2002
                There are some nice pontton boats, and I can't think of a reasonable
                reason against them. they can be designed as extreme low resistence
                boats. See my BassAckwards over at Duckworth, which is smaller than
                what you sound to be after, and have a look at Bolger Saint
                something, which is very simmilar, though mine was designed first.
                Also his is a sharpies type, so would plane a lower energy input than
                mine, which was designed as displacement only.

                I wish I had copied his motor mount, since mine turned out to be too
                high.
              • echo172@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 29, 2006
                  Anyone know if Bantam has been built?

                  It can be found in Bolger cartoons, FYI

                • Kristine Bennett
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 29, 2006
                    I've seen photos of two of them and one was built and
                    then pushed to 31 or 32 feet as I recall. The builder
                    didn't like the small aft deck. I think you will find
                    that one on Duckworks.

                    I think it's a great little boat.

                    Blessings Krissie

                    --- echo172@... wrote:

                    > Anyone know if Bantam has been built?
                    >
                    > It can be found in Bolger cartoons, FYI

                    > removed]

                  • Bob Slimak
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 30, 2006
                      There are at least 4 Bantams done. The first one was built to the original plans in Nantucket and was written up in M.A.I.B., with a cover photo, a few back. He has since made considerable changes, including the double bottom update. The second one finished was the one Kristine mentions as having be stretched to 31 feet. That one is in Indian River Florida. He first built it the original size, but did not build the folding cabin, and built the cabin top in one layer of 3/8" ply instead of the foam ply laminate. He latter stretched it, but did not build the updated double bottom as he runs only in protected waters. The third one was built, also modified from the plans, and is somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. Bellingham seems to ring a bell in my memory :) I was last in contact with him Last fall when he had launched it without the cabin, anxious to try it out. I assume he finished the cabin during winter, spring?
                      The fourth one is mine, in Duluth, MN. It is the updated double bottom version, stretched to 22'. It does have the folding cabin, but I did not make the bow detachable as I never plan to be storing it in a garage. I have not been on the Bolger site since last Dec. when I went to Panama for the winter. When I got back I went right to work on the boat, launched in July and have been too busy boating and making some changes to report on it. I just folded the cabin this afternoon for the winter, which is coming tomorrow, according to the forecast. Anyway, now that boating here is done for the year I will try to figure out how to post some photos next week.
                      Bob

                    • Kristine Bennett
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 30, 2006
                        OK here is a question the group, how many diffrent
                        power catamarans and trimarans had PCB designed that
                        are under 30 feet?

                        I know of the Trashcat, the Fishcat and the Bantam.
                        Now many others are there?

                        Blessings to All
                        Kristine

                        (http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited)
                      • proaconstrictor
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 30, 2006

                          I didn't know about the Bantam or Trashcat. There is the trimaran
                          houseboat, and the Saint somethingorother small cat with the outboard.

                          ______________

                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 31, 2006
                            > > OK here is a question the group, how many diffrent
                            > > power catamarans and trimarans had PCB designed that
                            > > are under 30 feet?

                            Also, Singlehander Catamaran aka "A Fast and Light Singlehander",
                            SBJ#27(Cartoon 3) and BWAOM Chapter 52-pg269.

                            Also, the queen of them all, Double Eagle, longer at 42 ft.
                          • graeme19121984
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 1, 2006
                              > > > OK here is a question the group, how many diffrent
                              > > > power catamarans and trimarans had PCB designed that
                              > > > are under 30 feet?

                              4 or 5. How to count? Designed for straight power, or auxiliary
                              power? Those that reasonably could have auxiliary power, though not
                              shown as such?

                              The designs index lists about 9 to 10, or so, depending how you
                              count them. A few are studies/earlier plans that became somewhat
                              different plans.

                              There's Bolger indications there are more than have been published,
                              or are in the index, eg the Bolger vee-bottom, inboard, stay
                              sail "Cruising Cat(-amaran)" in Derek Harvey's "Multihulls for
                              Cruising and Racing". It had moderate beam as reportedly Bolger
                              reasoned that gave a less jagged stability curve and compact
                              berthing.

                              There used to be earlier this year, current photos of a Bolger 24'
                              aquaculture power catamaran built at the Old Wharf Dory yard that
                              was still a goer: http://www.oldwharf.com/history.html It had
                              moderate twin ob power, vee-bottoms deeper at the bow and flattening
                              astern, kinda beamy hulls with lowish freeboard, sheltered helm, and
                              good speed on the plane I would think. I think there's a pic in one
                              of the bolgergroups.

                              Seems to be only 5 straight power multis: Bantam, Fishcat, Trashcat;
                              and the two Power Cats, #480, and #598, the first of which the Old
                              Wharf Dory yard example is likely to be, and the second may be a PCB
                              supplied version of the CSD Fishcat #469... making it 4 in all that
                              are known.

                              Graeme
                            • proaconstrictor
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 2, 2006
                                Here is the little power cat St Jan:

                                http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/01/articles/champlain/index.htm

                                I'm partial to this design since I quite aside made a similar boat to
                                my own design, as a prototype for a charter cat, since kids have
                                enjoyed it. Bolger's was originally designed as a Yulloh testing
                                platform, if I remember correctly, so the hull shape may not be ideal
                                for power. Good concept though.
                              • Kristine Bennett
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 2, 2006
                                  Yes I had seen that one but was not sure if it was
                                  PCB&Fs design or an idea someone had and used ideas
                                  of PCB. But it's along the idea I have for a powercat.

                                  I should send Phil a letter and see what he has to
                                  say.

                                  Blessings All Kristine

                                  --- proaconstrictor <proaconstrictor@...> wrote:

                                  > Here is the little power cat St Jan:

                                  http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/01/articles/champlain/index.htm

                                  (http://voice.yahoo.com)
                                • proaconstrictor
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 2, 2006

                                    > Yes I had seen that one but was not sure if it was
                                    > PCB&Fs design or an idea someone had and used ideas
                                    > of PCB. But it's along the idea I have for a powercat.
                                    >

                                    > I should send Phil a letter and see what he has to
                                    > say.
                                    >
                                    > Blessings All Kristine

                                    Good idea, I recall the article in MAIB, and it was a Phil project but
                                    for Yulloh testing therefore displacement hull stuff. After that
                                    interest passed, it was used for the kind of thing in the picture, and
                                    then it was passed on, and then it rotted out.
                                  • proaconstrictor
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 6, 2006
                                      Kristine,

                                      you have probably already seen this. But it comes as close to being
                                      economical, fast to build, resaleable, and seriously useful as one is
                                      likely to find, short of a personal design. One issue that I would ask
                                      about first is that amas are not necesarily good models for powercat
                                      hulls. The deal is for a few thou you buy pre-molded epoxy
                                      glass "pans" that are just glued to whatever square box superstructure
                                      you want to use. Or build the kit, or buy the boat.

                                      http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?
                                      &units=Feet&checked_boats=1547873&lang=en&slim=broker&&hosturl=multimari
                                      ne&&ywo=multimarine&