Another Failure

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
      FBBB --

      As I have been more than happy to relate, Toby the Gull has been a
      source of tremendous satisfaction for the last three weeks. But after
      our last outing I got a little "feed back" from the boat regarding
      how lightly I put it together.

      The center seat was simply "buttered" in place, without tape our
      fasteners, and the joint between it and the topsides cracked on both
      the port and starboard side. One the starboard side the fillet
      cracked, on the port side the top layer of the luan plywood cracked.
      I think this happened when I was climbing in with my wife trying to
      counter-balance from inside the boat. There was a lot of shift and
      shaking and general chaos. The boat was never meant to be a family
      knock about, and I suppose this shows why.

      I think the fix will be to put a piece of fabric across the joint to
      try and spread out the load. The luan completely ripping apart has me
      thinking I may go ahead and tape the inside of the chines the next
      time I'm doing glass work. Can't hurt and it might help.

      Surfboards are build (compared to boats) very light. They are also
      given a *very* high degree of finish (think mirror polish.) None the
      less, they are considered more or less disposable, not usually
      lasting more than 5 years before being replaced if not discarded
      completely. This works out to about $100 - $200 per year. I don't
      think I'd mind having to build a Gull every few years in exchange for
      having a boat I can get on and off my car with one arm!

      YIBB,

      David

      C.E.P.
      415 W.46th Street
      New York, New York 10036
      http://www.crumblingempire.com
      (212) 247-0296
    • proaconstrictor
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2002
        It makes interesting reading to track down the section in the
        Gougeons on boat building that gives their test results for the size
        of plain fillet that is required to create full breaking strength in
        wood. it is reasonably prodigious. In a less structuraly competant
        epoxy the size would be larger still. nobody uses such huge
        fillets. But it does suggest everything should be glassed where
        elements are concerned. Panels are a lot more secure, which is why
        one can get away with so little on bulkheads. I guess.

        > The center seat was simply "buttered" in place, without tape our
        > fasteners, and the joint between it and the topsides cracked on
        both
        > the port and starboard side. One the starboard side the fillet
        > cracked, on the port side the top layer of the luan plywood
        cracked.
      • Harry W. James
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2002
          I have tried to get away with not taping joints, just filleting, on the
          light stitch and tape boats, and it hasn't worked 100% of the time. To
          much flex in the light hulls.

          HJ