Re: Bantam

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 1, 2002
      > A reduction of 4' from the
      > trailering length doesn't seem to warrant the structrual trade-offs.

      I agree. The original was for a Dutch couple. I think I remember that
      they had a length limit based on either storage or trailering.
    • wmrpage@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 1, 2002
        richard@... writes:

        > Maybe they are to ugly for even Bolger to design!
        > (JUST KIDDING!)

        You may have hit the mark. I ordered plans for "Hawkeye" from Bolger last
        year, thinking that I could contrive a center-console deck-boat out of it
        that would perform the functions of a poontoon boat, desired by my mother,
        without the exciting my father's violent anti-pontoon attitude.

        I mentioned this in my order to Bolger and received a nice handwritten letter
        back from him which emphatically endorsed my father's anti-pontoon aesthetic.
        (Bolger did give qualified approval the notion of building "Hawkeye" as a
        deck-boat, with the proviso that seating be placed on the centerline.) (Mind
        you, I don't think that "Hawkeye" deserves many more points on aesthetics
        than a pontoon boat.)

        Apart from aesthetic issues, I can't imagine that there is much of an
        intellectual challenge in designing a pontoon floats. I believe Glen-L has
        plans for plywood pontoon floats, useful for someone who wished to have
        skin-thickness, plywood lay-out and scantlings prepared for them. As far as
        shape and dimensions are concerned, I think it would take a great deal of
        imagination to come up with a shape that wouldn't work.

        Ciao for Niao,
        Bill in MN

      • Richard Spelling
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 1, 2002
          I'd be interested in hearing what was in that letter...

          | In a message dated 7/1/02 9:55:09 AM Central Daylight Time,
          | richard@... writes:
          |

          | > Maybe they are to ugly for even Bolger to design!
          | > (JUST KIDDING!)
          | >

          | You may have hit the mark. I ordered plans for "Hawkeye" from Bolger last
          | year, thinking that I could contrive a center-console deck-boat out of it
          | that would perform the functions of a poontoon boat, desired by my mother,
          | without the exciting my father's violent anti-pontoon attitude.
          |
          | I mentioned this in my order to Bolger and received a nice handwritten
          letter
          | back from him which emphatically endorsed my father's anti-pontoon
          aesthetic.
          | (Bolger did give qualified approval the notion of building "Hawkeye" as a
          | deck-boat, with the proviso that seating be placed on the centerline.)
          (Mind
          | you, I don't think that "Hawkeye" deserves many more points on aesthetics
          | than a pontoon boat.)
          |
          | Apart from aesthetic issues, I can't imagine that there is much of an
          | intellectual challenge in designing a pontoon floats. I believe Glen-L has
          | plans for plywood pontoon floats, useful for someone who wished to have
          | skin-thickness, plywood lay-out and scantlings prepared for them. As far
          as
          | shape and dimensions are concerned, I think it would take a great deal of
          | imagination to come up with a shape that wouldn't work.
          |
          | Ciao for Niao,
          | Bill in MN
          |

          | [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          |

          | Bolger rules!!!
          | - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging dead horses
          | - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred' posts
          | - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts and <snip> away
          | - To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
          01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
          | - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          | - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        • Mark Albanese
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 1, 2002
            Could be building shed or storage limitations.
            Mark

            jmbell1 wrote:

            I'm not sure why
            > you'd want the bow to fold though. c
          • danbollinger
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 2, 2002
              > You might check out the Bantam 16/20.
              > Peter

              Hey, Let's build three hulls instead of two and make it just as ugly!

              ;)
            • pvanderwaart
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 2, 2002
                > Hey, Let's build three hulls instead of two and make it just as
                ugly!

                Granted the Bantam is "utilitarian" in appearance (at least without
                its glass house), it is hydrodynamically a pretty reasonable craft.
              • proaconstrictor
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 2, 2002
                  There are some nice pontton boats, and I can't think of a reasonable
                  reason against them. they can be designed as extreme low resistence
                  boats. See my BassAckwards over at Duckworth, which is smaller than
                  what you sound to be after, and have a look at Bolger Saint
                  something, which is very simmilar, though mine was designed first.
                  Also his is a sharpies type, so would plane a lower energy input than
                  mine, which was designed as displacement only.

                  I wish I had copied his motor mount, since mine turned out to be too
                  high.
                • echo172@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 29, 2006
                    Anyone know if Bantam has been built?

                    It can be found in Bolger cartoons, FYI

                  • Kristine Bennett
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 29, 2006
                      I've seen photos of two of them and one was built and
                      then pushed to 31 or 32 feet as I recall. The builder
                      didn't like the small aft deck. I think you will find
                      that one on Duckworks.

                      I think it's a great little boat.

                      Blessings Krissie

                      --- echo172@... wrote:

                      > Anyone know if Bantam has been built?
                      >
                      > It can be found in Bolger cartoons, FYI

                      > removed]

                    • Bob Slimak
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 30, 2006
                        There are at least 4 Bantams done. The first one was built to the original plans in Nantucket and was written up in M.A.I.B., with a cover photo, a few back. He has since made considerable changes, including the double bottom update. The second one finished was the one Kristine mentions as having be stretched to 31 feet. That one is in Indian River Florida. He first built it the original size, but did not build the folding cabin, and built the cabin top in one layer of 3/8" ply instead of the foam ply laminate. He latter stretched it, but did not build the updated double bottom as he runs only in protected waters. The third one was built, also modified from the plans, and is somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. Bellingham seems to ring a bell in my memory :) I was last in contact with him Last fall when he had launched it without the cabin, anxious to try it out. I assume he finished the cabin during winter, spring?
                        The fourth one is mine, in Duluth, MN. It is the updated double bottom version, stretched to 22'. It does have the folding cabin, but I did not make the bow detachable as I never plan to be storing it in a garage. I have not been on the Bolger site since last Dec. when I went to Panama for the winter. When I got back I went right to work on the boat, launched in July and have been too busy boating and making some changes to report on it. I just folded the cabin this afternoon for the winter, which is coming tomorrow, according to the forecast. Anyway, now that boating here is done for the year I will try to figure out how to post some photos next week.
                        Bob

                      • Kristine Bennett
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 30, 2006
                          OK here is a question the group, how many diffrent
                          power catamarans and trimarans had PCB designed that
                          are under 30 feet?

                          I know of the Trashcat, the Fishcat and the Bantam.
                          Now many others are there?

                          Blessings to All
                          Kristine

                          (http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited)
                        • proaconstrictor
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 30, 2006

                            I didn't know about the Bantam or Trashcat. There is the trimaran
                            houseboat, and the Saint somethingorother small cat with the outboard.

                            ______________

                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 31, 2006
                              > > OK here is a question the group, how many diffrent
                              > > power catamarans and trimarans had PCB designed that
                              > > are under 30 feet?

                              Also, Singlehander Catamaran aka "A Fast and Light Singlehander",
                              SBJ#27(Cartoon 3) and BWAOM Chapter 52-pg269.

                              Also, the queen of them all, Double Eagle, longer at 42 ft.
                            • graeme19121984
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 1, 2006
                                > > > OK here is a question the group, how many diffrent
                                > > > power catamarans and trimarans had PCB designed that
                                > > > are under 30 feet?

                                4 or 5. How to count? Designed for straight power, or auxiliary
                                power? Those that reasonably could have auxiliary power, though not
                                shown as such?

                                The designs index lists about 9 to 10, or so, depending how you
                                count them. A few are studies/earlier plans that became somewhat
                                different plans.

                                There's Bolger indications there are more than have been published,
                                or are in the index, eg the Bolger vee-bottom, inboard, stay
                                sail "Cruising Cat(-amaran)" in Derek Harvey's "Multihulls for
                                Cruising and Racing". It had moderate beam as reportedly Bolger
                                reasoned that gave a less jagged stability curve and compact
                                berthing.

                                There used to be earlier this year, current photos of a Bolger 24'
                                aquaculture power catamaran built at the Old Wharf Dory yard that
                                was still a goer: http://www.oldwharf.com/history.html It had
                                moderate twin ob power, vee-bottoms deeper at the bow and flattening
                                astern, kinda beamy hulls with lowish freeboard, sheltered helm, and
                                good speed on the plane I would think. I think there's a pic in one
                                of the bolgergroups.

                                Seems to be only 5 straight power multis: Bantam, Fishcat, Trashcat;
                                and the two Power Cats, #480, and #598, the first of which the Old
                                Wharf Dory yard example is likely to be, and the second may be a PCB
                                supplied version of the CSD Fishcat #469... making it 4 in all that
                                are known.

                                Graeme
                              • proaconstrictor
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 2, 2006
                                  Here is the little power cat St Jan:

                                  http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/01/articles/champlain/index.htm

                                  I'm partial to this design since I quite aside made a similar boat to
                                  my own design, as a prototype for a charter cat, since kids have
                                  enjoyed it. Bolger's was originally designed as a Yulloh testing
                                  platform, if I remember correctly, so the hull shape may not be ideal
                                  for power. Good concept though.
                                • Kristine Bennett
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 2, 2006
                                    Yes I had seen that one but was not sure if it was
                                    PCB&Fs design or an idea someone had and used ideas
                                    of PCB. But it's along the idea I have for a powercat.

                                    I should send Phil a letter and see what he has to
                                    say.

                                    Blessings All Kristine

                                    --- proaconstrictor <proaconstrictor@...> wrote:

                                    > Here is the little power cat St Jan:

                                    http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/01/articles/champlain/index.htm

                                    (http://voice.yahoo.com)
                                  • proaconstrictor
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 2, 2006

                                      > Yes I had seen that one but was not sure if it was
                                      > PCB&Fs design or an idea someone had and used ideas
                                      > of PCB. But it's along the idea I have for a powercat.
                                      >

                                      > I should send Phil a letter and see what he has to
                                      > say.
                                      >
                                      > Blessings All Kristine

                                      Good idea, I recall the article in MAIB, and it was a Phil project but
                                      for Yulloh testing therefore displacement hull stuff. After that
                                      interest passed, it was used for the kind of thing in the picture, and
                                      then it was passed on, and then it rotted out.
                                    • proaconstrictor
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 6, 2006
                                        Kristine,

                                        you have probably already seen this. But it comes as close to being
                                        economical, fast to build, resaleable, and seriously useful as one is
                                        likely to find, short of a personal design. One issue that I would ask
                                        about first is that amas are not necesarily good models for powercat
                                        hulls. The deal is for a few thou you buy pre-molded epoxy
                                        glass "pans" that are just glued to whatever square box superstructure
                                        you want to use. Or build the kit, or buy the boat.

                                        http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?
                                        &units=Feet&checked_boats=1547873&lang=en&slim=broker&&hosturl=multimari
                                        ne&&ywo=multimarine&