Re: [bolger] Bolger boats in fiberglass: Dovekie and [?]

  • Leoandsandy@Juno.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
      Welcome to what Phil and Suzanna (Bolger) call "the cult" (of Dovekie
      owners). I hope whoever you bought your Dovekie from gave you the info
      about our newsletter called The Shallow Water Sailor published by Kenneth
      Murphy (Kgmurphy@...). Also, see the site:
      http://www.trailersailor.com/sws/. We have a two week cruise in the
      North Channel of Georgean Bay coming up in a few weeks... There's quite
      a few Dovekies in your area, where many of us meet for an annual Spring
      Cruise. Let me know if you need anything. Leoandsandy@...

    • pvanderwaart
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
        > Ruben tells me that the 25' cat yawl mold was sold to
        > Nimble Boats and is laying in a field next to their plant.

        In his writeup on the boat in MAIB, Bolger says that everyone
        involved felt that, if not actually a technical failure, it was not
        an especially good or interesting boat, and the program died
        unlamented. I saw the boat at a Small Boat Show in Newport, RI. I
        thought the interior was very pleasant, and the looks interesting. I
        did wonder if she carried enough sail.

        Ruben worked hard to make his boats very easy to set up, and for this
        one, he worked out an elaborate metal mast tabernacle. At least, I
        assume he designed it because it wasn't shown on the Bolger drawings.
        But the cost, weight, and spatial intrusion of that alone was a
        certain detriment.

        Peter
      • David Romasco
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
          If I recall the conversation correctly, Ruben also felt that the boat
          needed to be wider. PCB disagreed, and that was apparently that.

          I was the happy owner of a customized Marsh Hen from Ruben's Florida Bay
          Boats company for many years, and still can't believe I was so
          unutterably stupid as to sell her.

          David Romasco

          > Ruben tells me that the 25' cat yawl mold was sold to
          > Nimble Boats and is laying in a field next to their plant.

          In his writeup on the boat in MAIB, Bolger says that everyone
          involved felt that, if not actually a technical failure, it was not
          an especially good or interesting boat, and the program died
          unlamented. I saw the boat at a Small Boat Show in Newport, RI. I
          thought the interior was very pleasant, and the looks interesting. I
          did wonder if she carried enough sail.

          Ruben worked hard to make his boats very easy to set up, and for this
          one, he worked out an elaborate metal mast tabernacle. At least, I
          assume he designed it because it wasn't shown on the Bolger drawings.
          But the cost, weight, and spatial intrusion of that alone was a
          certain detriment.

          Peter

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.2174088.3620944.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          065791:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

          Bolger rules!!!
          01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • stephensonhw@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
            In a message dated 01-07-02 12:45:19 PM E. Australia Standard Time,
            s_paskey@... writes:

            > Now I'm curious: are there any other Bolger designs that were
            > manufactured and sold in fiberglass? I've read Small Boats, the
            > Folding Schooner, and BWAOM, and nothing comes to mind.

            I've often thought that the designs we see in the various Bolger books are
            very likely unrepresentative of his output. With successful production
            designs, he would often have an obligation to the builder not to publish the
            plans.

            Howard

          • kayaker37
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
              This reminds me that if you notify Edey and Duff, they will put you
              on their owners list. They have an annual Summer Rendezvous, this
              year on July 27, with races starting at 1:00 p.m.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
                Forgot to mention that there will be a minimum of two Shearwaters and two
                Dovekies, and a Martha Jane on our "Magnum Opus" (Peter Duff's words for
                our two week summer cruise) in the North Channel in a few weeks... so if
                you can make it...
                Leo

                GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.