Re: Bolger boats in fiberglass: Dovekie and [?]

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
      > Edey & Duff also promoted a 1400 pound, 5" draft 'Shearwater'.

      E&D also produced, in small numbers, Lady's Slipper (a very small
      catboat), a power launch, and a few copies of Bird of Dawning (35'
      cat-yawl).

      There was a catboat of about 16' that got to the prototype stage. A
      cat yawl of about 25' for Ruben Trane got to prototype.

      In one of the early books, there is a yacht tender that, I think,
      went into production.

      PCB designed several larger powerboats that were production boats for
      Egg Harbor, among others, but I don't know if any were done in
      fiberglass.

      The Wolf Trap 30 was supposed to be a production aluminum boat. I
      think three were built.

      Peter
    • David Romasco
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
        Ruben tells me that the 25' cat yawl mold was sold to Nimble Boats and
        is laying in a field next to their plant.

        David Romasco

        > Edey & Duff also promoted a 1400 pound, 5" draft 'Shearwater'.

        E&D also produced, in small numbers, Lady's Slipper (a very small
        catboat), a power launch, and a few copies of Bird of Dawning (35'
        cat-yawl).

        There was a catboat of about 16' that got to the prototype stage. A
        cat yawl of about 25' for Ruben Trane got to prototype.

        In one of the early books, there is a yacht tender that, I think,
        went into production.

        PCB designed several larger powerboats that were production boats for
        Egg Harbor, among others, but I don't know if any were done in
        fiberglass.

        The Wolf Trap 30 was supposed to be a production aluminum boat. I
        think three were built.

        Peter

        Bolger rules!!!
        01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Leoandsandy@Juno.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
          Welcome to what Phil and Suzanna (Bolger) call "the cult" (of Dovekie
          owners). I hope whoever you bought your Dovekie from gave you the info
          about our newsletter called The Shallow Water Sailor published by Kenneth
          Murphy (Kgmurphy@...). Also, see the site:
          http://www.trailersailor.com/sws/. We have a two week cruise in the
          North Channel of Georgean Bay coming up in a few weeks... There's quite
          a few Dovekies in your area, where many of us meet for an annual Spring
          Cruise. Let me know if you need anything. Leoandsandy@...

        • pvanderwaart
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
            > Ruben tells me that the 25' cat yawl mold was sold to
            > Nimble Boats and is laying in a field next to their plant.

            In his writeup on the boat in MAIB, Bolger says that everyone
            involved felt that, if not actually a technical failure, it was not
            an especially good or interesting boat, and the program died
            unlamented. I saw the boat at a Small Boat Show in Newport, RI. I
            thought the interior was very pleasant, and the looks interesting. I
            did wonder if she carried enough sail.

            Ruben worked hard to make his boats very easy to set up, and for this
            one, he worked out an elaborate metal mast tabernacle. At least, I
            assume he designed it because it wasn't shown on the Bolger drawings.
            But the cost, weight, and spatial intrusion of that alone was a
            certain detriment.

            Peter
          • David Romasco
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
              If I recall the conversation correctly, Ruben also felt that the boat
              needed to be wider. PCB disagreed, and that was apparently that.

              I was the happy owner of a customized Marsh Hen from Ruben's Florida Bay
              Boats company for many years, and still can't believe I was so
              unutterably stupid as to sell her.

              David Romasco

              > Ruben tells me that the 25' cat yawl mold was sold to
              > Nimble Boats and is laying in a field next to their plant.

              In his writeup on the boat in MAIB, Bolger says that everyone
              involved felt that, if not actually a technical failure, it was not
              an especially good or interesting boat, and the program died
              unlamented. I saw the boat at a Small Boat Show in Newport, RI. I
              thought the interior was very pleasant, and the looks interesting. I
              did wonder if she carried enough sail.

              Ruben worked hard to make his boats very easy to set up, and for this
              one, he worked out an elaborate metal mast tabernacle. At least, I
              assume he designed it because it wasn't shown on the Bolger drawings.
              But the cost, weight, and spatial intrusion of that alone was a
              certain detriment.

              Peter

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.2174088.3620944.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705
              065791:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

            • stephensonhw@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
                In a message dated 01-07-02 12:45:19 PM E. Australia Standard Time,
                s_paskey@... writes:

                > Now I'm curious: are there any other Bolger designs that were
                > manufactured and sold in fiberglass? I've read Small Boats, the
                > Folding Schooner, and BWAOM, and nothing comes to mind.

                I've often thought that the designs we see in the various Bolger books are
                very likely unrepresentative of his output. With successful production
                designs, he would often have an obligation to the builder not to publish the
                plans.

                Howard

              • kayaker37
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
                  This reminds me that if you notify Edey and Duff, they will put you
                  on their owners list. They have an annual Summer Rendezvous, this
                  year on July 27, with races starting at 1:00 p.m.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
                    Forgot to mention that there will be a minimum of two Shearwaters and two
                    Dovekies, and a Martha Jane on our "Magnum Opus" (Peter Duff's words for
                    our two week summer cruise) in the North Channel in a few weeks... so if
                    you can make it...
                    Leo

                    GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.