Re: Bolger boats in fiberglass: Dovekie and [?]

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2002
      Edey & Duff also promoted a 1400 pound, 5" draft 'Shearwater' about 1985, Dovkie's big sister.
      Mark

      s_paskey wrote:

      > Now I'm curious: are there any other Bolger designs that were
      > manufactured and sold in fiberglass? I've read Small Boats, the
      > Folding Schooner, and BWAOM, and nothing comes to mind.
    • pvanderwaart
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1 5:50 AM
        > Edey & Duff also promoted a 1400 pound, 5" draft 'Shearwater'.

        E&D also produced, in small numbers, Lady's Slipper (a very small
        catboat), a power launch, and a few copies of Bird of Dawning (35'
        cat-yawl).

        There was a catboat of about 16' that got to the prototype stage. A
        cat yawl of about 25' for Ruben Trane got to prototype.

        In one of the early books, there is a yacht tender that, I think,
        went into production.

        PCB designed several larger powerboats that were production boats for
        Egg Harbor, among others, but I don't know if any were done in
        fiberglass.

        The Wolf Trap 30 was supposed to be a production aluminum boat. I
        think three were built.

        Peter
      • David Romasco
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1 6:07 AM
          Ruben tells me that the 25' cat yawl mold was sold to Nimble Boats and
          is laying in a field next to their plant.

          David Romasco

          > Edey & Duff also promoted a 1400 pound, 5" draft 'Shearwater'.

          E&D also produced, in small numbers, Lady's Slipper (a very small
          catboat), a power launch, and a few copies of Bird of Dawning (35'
          cat-yawl).

          There was a catboat of about 16' that got to the prototype stage. A
          cat yawl of about 25' for Ruben Trane got to prototype.

          In one of the early books, there is a yacht tender that, I think,
          went into production.

          PCB designed several larger powerboats that were production boats for
          Egg Harbor, among others, but I don't know if any were done in
          fiberglass.

          The Wolf Trap 30 was supposed to be a production aluminum boat. I
          think three were built.

          Peter

          Bolger rules!!!
          01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Leoandsandy@Juno.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1 9:01 AM
            Welcome to what Phil and Suzanna (Bolger) call "the cult" (of Dovekie
            owners). I hope whoever you bought your Dovekie from gave you the info
            about our newsletter called The Shallow Water Sailor published by Kenneth
            Murphy (Kgmurphy@...). Also, see the site:
            http://www.trailersailor.com/sws/. We have a two week cruise in the
            North Channel of Georgean Bay coming up in a few weeks... There's quite
            a few Dovekies in your area, where many of us meet for an annual Spring
            Cruise. Let me know if you need anything. Leoandsandy@...

          • pvanderwaart
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1 10:11 AM
              > Ruben tells me that the 25' cat yawl mold was sold to
              > Nimble Boats and is laying in a field next to their plant.

              In his writeup on the boat in MAIB, Bolger says that everyone
              involved felt that, if not actually a technical failure, it was not
              an especially good or interesting boat, and the program died
              unlamented. I saw the boat at a Small Boat Show in Newport, RI. I
              thought the interior was very pleasant, and the looks interesting. I
              did wonder if she carried enough sail.

              Ruben worked hard to make his boats very easy to set up, and for this
              one, he worked out an elaborate metal mast tabernacle. At least, I
              assume he designed it because it wasn't shown on the Bolger drawings.
              But the cost, weight, and spatial intrusion of that alone was a
              certain detriment.

              Peter
            • David Romasco
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1 10:11 AM
                If I recall the conversation correctly, Ruben also felt that the boat
                needed to be wider. PCB disagreed, and that was apparently that.

                I was the happy owner of a customized Marsh Hen from Ruben's Florida Bay
                Boats company for many years, and still can't believe I was so
                unutterably stupid as to sell her.

                David Romasco

                > Ruben tells me that the 25' cat yawl mold was sold to
                > Nimble Boats and is laying in a field next to their plant.

                In his writeup on the boat in MAIB, Bolger says that everyone
                involved felt that, if not actually a technical failure, it was not
                an especially good or interesting boat, and the program died
                unlamented. I saw the boat at a Small Boat Show in Newport, RI. I
                thought the interior was very pleasant, and the looks interesting. I
                did wonder if she carried enough sail.

                Ruben worked hard to make his boats very easy to set up, and for this
                one, he worked out an elaborate metal mast tabernacle. At least, I
                assume he designed it because it wasn't shown on the Bolger drawings.
                But the cost, weight, and spatial intrusion of that alone was a
                certain detriment.

                Peter

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.2174088.3620944.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                065791:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

              • stephensonhw@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1 1:34 PM
                  In a message dated 01-07-02 12:45:19 PM E. Australia Standard Time,
                  s_paskey@... writes:

                  > Now I'm curious: are there any other Bolger designs that were
                  > manufactured and sold in fiberglass? I've read Small Boats, the
                  > Folding Schooner, and BWAOM, and nothing comes to mind.

                  I've often thought that the designs we see in the various Bolger books are
                  very likely unrepresentative of his output. With successful production
                  designs, he would often have an obligation to the builder not to publish the
                  plans.

                  Howard

                • kayaker37
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 1 2:14 PM
                    This reminds me that if you notify Edey and Duff, they will put you
                    on their owners list. They have an annual Summer Rendezvous, this
                    year on July 27, with races starting at 1:00 p.m.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 1 6:40 PM
                      Forgot to mention that there will be a minimum of two Shearwaters and two
                      Dovekies, and a Martha Jane on our "Magnum Opus" (Peter Duff's words for
                      our two week summer cruise) in the North Channel in a few weeks... so if
                      you can make it...
                      Leo

                      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.