Bolger boats in fiberglass: Dovekie and [?]

  • s_paskey
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2002
      I bought a Dovekie over the weekend, having been seduced by
      the thought of pottering around the fringes of the Chesapeake in
      a cruising sailboat with a four-inch draft.

      Now I'm curious: are there any other Bolger designs that were
      manufactured and sold in fiberglass? I've read Small Boats, the
      Folding Schooner, and BWAOM, and nothing comes to mind.
    • Mark Albanese
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 30, 2002
        Edey & Duff also promoted a 1400 pound, 5" draft 'Shearwater' about 1985, Dovkie's big sister.
        Mark

        s_paskey wrote:

        > Now I'm curious: are there any other Bolger designs that were
        > manufactured and sold in fiberglass? I've read Small Boats, the
        > Folding Schooner, and BWAOM, and nothing comes to mind.
      • pvanderwaart
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
          > Edey & Duff also promoted a 1400 pound, 5" draft 'Shearwater'.

          E&D also produced, in small numbers, Lady's Slipper (a very small
          catboat), a power launch, and a few copies of Bird of Dawning (35'
          cat-yawl).

          There was a catboat of about 16' that got to the prototype stage. A
          cat yawl of about 25' for Ruben Trane got to prototype.

          In one of the early books, there is a yacht tender that, I think,
          went into production.

          PCB designed several larger powerboats that were production boats for
          Egg Harbor, among others, but I don't know if any were done in
          fiberglass.

          The Wolf Trap 30 was supposed to be a production aluminum boat. I
          think three were built.

          Peter
        • David Romasco
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
            Ruben tells me that the 25' cat yawl mold was sold to Nimble Boats and
            is laying in a field next to their plant.

            David Romasco

            > Edey & Duff also promoted a 1400 pound, 5" draft 'Shearwater'.

            E&D also produced, in small numbers, Lady's Slipper (a very small
            catboat), a power launch, and a few copies of Bird of Dawning (35'
            cat-yawl).

            There was a catboat of about 16' that got to the prototype stage. A
            cat yawl of about 25' for Ruben Trane got to prototype.

            In one of the early books, there is a yacht tender that, I think,
            went into production.

            PCB designed several larger powerboats that were production boats for
            Egg Harbor, among others, but I don't know if any were done in
            fiberglass.

            The Wolf Trap 30 was supposed to be a production aluminum boat. I
            think three were built.

            Peter

            Bolger rules!!!
            01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Leoandsandy@Juno.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
              Welcome to what Phil and Suzanna (Bolger) call "the cult" (of Dovekie
              owners). I hope whoever you bought your Dovekie from gave you the info
              about our newsletter called The Shallow Water Sailor published by Kenneth
              Murphy (Kgmurphy@...). Also, see the site:
              http://www.trailersailor.com/sws/. We have a two week cruise in the
              North Channel of Georgean Bay coming up in a few weeks... There's quite
              a few Dovekies in your area, where many of us meet for an annual Spring
              Cruise. Let me know if you need anything. Leoandsandy@...

            • pvanderwaart
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
                > Ruben tells me that the 25' cat yawl mold was sold to
                > Nimble Boats and is laying in a field next to their plant.

                In his writeup on the boat in MAIB, Bolger says that everyone
                involved felt that, if not actually a technical failure, it was not
                an especially good or interesting boat, and the program died
                unlamented. I saw the boat at a Small Boat Show in Newport, RI. I
                thought the interior was very pleasant, and the looks interesting. I
                did wonder if she carried enough sail.

                Ruben worked hard to make his boats very easy to set up, and for this
                one, he worked out an elaborate metal mast tabernacle. At least, I
                assume he designed it because it wasn't shown on the Bolger drawings.
                But the cost, weight, and spatial intrusion of that alone was a
                certain detriment.

                Peter
              • David Romasco
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
                  If I recall the conversation correctly, Ruben also felt that the boat
                  needed to be wider. PCB disagreed, and that was apparently that.

                  I was the happy owner of a customized Marsh Hen from Ruben's Florida Bay
                  Boats company for many years, and still can't believe I was so
                  unutterably stupid as to sell her.

                  David Romasco

                  > Ruben tells me that the 25' cat yawl mold was sold to
                  > Nimble Boats and is laying in a field next to their plant.

                  In his writeup on the boat in MAIB, Bolger says that everyone
                  involved felt that, if not actually a technical failure, it was not
                  an especially good or interesting boat, and the program died
                  unlamented. I saw the boat at a Small Boat Show in Newport, RI. I
                  thought the interior was very pleasant, and the looks interesting. I
                  did wonder if she carried enough sail.

                  Ruben worked hard to make his boats very easy to set up, and for this
                  one, he worked out an elaborate metal mast tabernacle. At least, I
                  assume he designed it because it wasn't shown on the Bolger drawings.
                  But the cost, weight, and spatial intrusion of that alone was a
                  certain detriment.

                  Peter

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.2174088.3620944.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                  065791:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

                • stephensonhw@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
                    In a message dated 01-07-02 12:45:19 PM E. Australia Standard Time,
                    s_paskey@... writes:

                    > Now I'm curious: are there any other Bolger designs that were
                    > manufactured and sold in fiberglass? I've read Small Boats, the
                    > Folding Schooner, and BWAOM, and nothing comes to mind.

                    I've often thought that the designs we see in the various Bolger books are
                    very likely unrepresentative of his output. With successful production
                    designs, he would often have an obligation to the builder not to publish the
                    plans.

                    Howard

                  • kayaker37
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
                      This reminds me that if you notify Edey and Duff, they will put you
                      on their owners list. They have an annual Summer Rendezvous, this
                      year on July 27, with races starting at 1:00 p.m.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
                        Forgot to mention that there will be a minimum of two Shearwaters and two
                        Dovekies, and a Martha Jane on our "Magnum Opus" (Peter Duff's words for
                        our two week summer cruise) in the North Channel in a few weeks... so if
                        you can make it...
                        Leo

                        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.