[bolger] Re: sneakeasy

  • Chuck Leinweber
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 1, 1999
      Gregg:

      Thanks for forwarding Hank's letter. I went back and reread the Sneakeasy
      chapter in Boats with an Open Mind. What a thing to be able to say "My
      father commissioned Sneakeasy". I'm impressed.

      Chuck

      > >Dear Mr. CarlsonI've gotten a lot of pleasure from your excellent
      schooner
      > >website. It
      > >has inspired me to think of building another Bolger boat. I built a
      > >Surf with my dad 20 years ago. The boat's still going strong, though
      > >the fir plywood is showing its age with checking and whatnot. The boat
      > >even survived a big hole smashed through the aft quarter when a tornado
      > >blew down an apple tree onto the overturned hull. I'm thinking replacing
      > >her with either a light schooner such as yours, or a folding schooner.I
      > >thought you might be interested to know of the derivation of the
      > >Sneakeasy name. My father, Jim Schultz, commissioned the orginal
      > >outboard-powered design (not the box-cutwater derivative you built) from
      > >Bolger in the early 80s. It in turn was derived from a low-sided
      > >original that was powered by a steam engine.The boat was built by a
      > >high-class professional named Jim Shea in
      > >Sturgeon Bay, WI. He used to work for Palmer Johnson. My Dad was
      > >casting about for a name and asked me what I thought. The boat's style
      > >seemed reminiscent of the Prohibition years, so I suggested Rumrunner or
      > >Speakeasy. (I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence, but in case you
      > >don't know, a speakeasy was a sort of illegal tavern that operated
      > >during Prohibition). He liked Speakeasy, and so she was christened.A
      > >reporter from the late Small Boat Journal did a story on the boat, but
      > >got the name wrong. I've tried several times to correct the mistake. I
      > >wrote Bolger once and talked to Payson on the phone. Neither of them
      > >seemed very interested in putting the matter straight, and I guess it
      > >doesn't matter much anyway. Sneakeasy does seem to speak to how she
      > >slips through the water with minimal fuss.Unfortunately, my dad entered
      > >his final decline as the boat hit the
      > >water. He used it only once. It has been in one brother or another's
      > >barn or shed in southeastern Wisconsin ever since, and I think it has
      > >been wet only three or four times.I hope you don't find this note too
      > >long-winded. I'd like to join the
      > >discussion group you founded, but our Internet access here at the Denver
      > >Rocky Mountain News (the newspaper I work for) has a lockout on chat
      > >groups and so forth. I might be able to find a way around that. In any
      > >case, my address is Schultzh@.... I'd like to hear from you
      > >sometime, and I promise I won't wear out my welcome.Sincerely, Hank
      Schultz.

      > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/805
      >

      > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger

    • G Carlson
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 2, 1999
        Hopefully, Hank will be able to join up...

      • maosborn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 31, 2001
          Anyone have any experiance or thoughts on the sneakeasy?
          I like the looks and think it might fit my needs. A boat to cruise up the
          missiouri beach and enjoy the sandbars.
          Mark
        • StepHydro@aol.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 31, 2001
            In a message dated 03/31/2001 9:<BR43:<BR59 AM
            Eastern Standard , maosborn@... writes:> Anyone have any experiance
            or thoughts on the sneakeasy?
            > I like the looks and think it might fit my needs. A boat to cruise up the
            > missiouri beach and enjoy the sandbars.

            There are lots of sites on the web sith Sneakeasy pictures. I think she's
            Bolger's most beautiful boat. Have you read the Sneakeasy chapter in BWAOM?

            If you don't find those sites, let me know and I'll send URLs. I believe
            Payson links to them as does Square Boats.

            Cheers/Don carron
          • maosborn@aol.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 31, 2001
              I have seen the web sights. I wonder how this boat would handle turning at
              speeds?
              Lots of logs to dodge around here.
              Mark
            • StepHydro@aol.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 31, 2001
                In a message dated 03/31/2001 10:<BR08:<BR09 AM
                Eastern Standard, maosborn@... writes:
                > I have seen the web sights. I wonder how this boat would handle turning
                at
                >> speeds?
                Well, what speed? The boat isn't designed to go very fast. I talked at length
                with an owner in the Chicago area and he felt that the boat was
                treacherous...no, he understands its characteristics, so treacherous isn't
                the correct word...he felt that it would turn over and then under with a bit
                of inattention with the 40 hp he used. Bolger warned him against using such a
                large engine.

                I corresponded wtih PCB about working up a normal (for a 1920 boat) forefoot
                blending into the flat bottom, intended to be planked with plywood strips in
                epoxy, set at an angle to the chine. What he neded up delivering was a box
                deadwood version, as shown in BWAOM. I think he'd wanted to do this all
                along, and took the opportunity to work it up hoping that I'd like that
                enough to build her. Well, I dodn't, thoug I appreciated the attempt.

                I would not build the boat myself if I intended going over about 10 knots,
                which I did intend :-) as I lived at the time near Galveston Bay and wanted
                the ability to cover a lot of ground or dodge a fast-approaching storm.

                I still believe that a forefoot like a plumb-bowed Faye & Bowen launch from
                the mid 20s could be married to the flat bottom to produce a wonderful boat
                without the limitations set by sheet construction (at the bow). I don't know
                for sure, though, as it might require some deadrise, after which it wouldn't
                nearly be a Sneakeasy.

                Cheers/Don Carron
              • bgbeck55@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 31, 2001
                  Mark,
                  There's been a lot of discussion on this board about Sneakeasy.If
                  you go to the box above, "Search Archive" and type in "Sneakeasy", it
                  will give you a list of what's been posted before. The list will
                  start with the most recent posts. Just keep clicking on "next" and
                  you'll eventually get to the first Sneakeasy post. I don't know if
                  your questions will answered, but you'll have an enjoyable time
                  reading everybody's thoughts on this design.

                  Bruce

                  > Anyone have any experiance or thoughts on the sneakeasy?
                  > I like the looks and think it might fit my needs. A boat to cruise
                  up the
                  > missiouri beach and enjoy the sandbars.
                  > Mark
                • Charlie Iliff
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 31, 2001
                    I corresponded with PCB last fall, and bought Sneakeasy plans from
                    him for construction this spring/summer. He indicated that the
                    Sneakeasy had not displayed anticipated bad habits, and therefore the
                    box bottom like Gregg Carlson's, although probably a bit more stable,
                    was not required. He also sent me plans of a version with some v
                    forward, primarily to reduce pounding. He does not recommend 40hp,
                    but reports, as does at least one of the websites, that a 30hp Sneakeasy
                    didn't have any bad habits. Speeds in the 20s are common Gregg - have
                    you compared yours with flat bottom sisters?
                    Charlie Iliff
                    Charles E. Iliff, Jr.
                    Iliff & Meredith, P.C.
                    Phone 410-685-1166
                  • Chris Wood
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 31, 2001
                      StepHydro,

                      I ran across a boat that is similar to what you were looking for:  Chreck out http://www.parker-marine.com/parker2_1.htm.  It is the Commuter 36.  Not sure if it could be scaled down, but for the size, it's economy and performance seemed great.

                      Chris Wood
                      cwood@...
                    • GHC
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 1, 2001
                        I've never seen another Sneakeasy in the flesh. I'm of the opinion that my
                        box-keel version pounds less, but other flat-bottom version owners don't
                        seem to have any complaint. I would assume, too, the box-keel is stiffer
                        and might oil-can less, but I don't hear those complaints, either.

                        Lastly, the box-keel would have to have more surface area and drag, which
                        is what I think mine sufffers from just a bit. I get about 22 mph from my
                        25 hp Envinrude, whereas I got 16-17 mph from the original 15 hp Merc.
                        I've played a fair bit with props on the big engine, so I'm assuming hp
                        ratings are a little different or something else is going on. The bottom
                        was never very slick, and I plan to roll it over and re-skin eventually.

                        By the way, I built it to run in the navigation channel, with the next marina
                        100 miles from home, so speed and range was important for me.

                        The boat has never exhibited any vices, though I have scared myself playing
                        games in the big wakes of large cruisers. I'll bet you could roll it over
                        with a big enough engine.

                        Gregg Carlson

                      • jnf.trt@worldonline.nl
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 8, 2001
                          i think the main disafvantage of the sneakeasy is the size, it's too
                          small to sail with more than three or four people, that is the reason
                          i am looking to the idaho

                          jan
                          the netherlands
                        • jmbell@mindspring.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 8, 2001
                            There has been a lot of interest on the group in Bolger's power
                            sharpies of late. The problem most people seem to have is with their
                            size. Sneakeasy is just too long for its capacity for most potential
                            builders.

                            While I admire Bolger's groundbreaking work on power sharpies, I am
                            compelled to mention Jim Michalak's designs here. Yesterday I
                            launched a new boat to Jim's AF4 design. 'Mr. Moon' is 18' x 5',
                            weighs about 400 lbs. and handles three adults and two kids with
                            ease. It can also sleep two it it's Birdwatcher type cuddy. Judging
                            from the overwhelming response of all who saw her yesterday, she is
                            felt to be an attractive boat as well. Eighteen feet is a lot more
                            manageable for people to build and store than is 26 (Sneakeasy), 29
                            (Tennessee), or 31 (Idaho).

                            I just posted some pictures of 'Mr. Moon' in the photos section of
                            this group.

                            Best,

                            JB in Kennesaw

                            --- In bolger@y..., jnf.trt@w... wrote:
                            > i think the main disafvantage of the sneakeasy is the size, it's
                            too
                            > small to sail with more than three or four people, that is the
                            reason
                            > i am looking to the idaho
                            >
                            > jan
                            > the netherlands
                          • chris
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 8, 2001
                              John....... your Mr. Moon looks great
                              Chris Flynn
                              > There has been a lot of interest on the group in Bolger's power
                              > sharpies of late. The problem most people seem to have is with their
                              > size. Sneakeasy is just too long for its capacity for most potential
                              > builders.
                              >
                              > While I admire Bolger's groundbreaking work on power sharpies, I am
                              > compelled to mention Jim Michalak's designs here. Yesterday I
                              > launched a new boat to Jim's AF4 design. 'Mr. Moon' is 18' x 5',
                              > weighs about 400 lbs. and handles three adults and two kids with
                              > ease. It can also sleep two it it's Birdwatcher type cuddy. Judging
                              > from the overwhelming response of all who saw her yesterday, she is
                              > felt to be an attractive boat as well. Eighteen feet is a lot more
                              > manageable for people to build and store than is 26 (Sneakeasy), 29
                              > (Tennessee), or 31 (Idaho).
                              >
                              > I just posted some pictures of 'Mr. Moon' in the photos section of
                              > this group.

                              > Best,
                              >
                              > JB in Kennesaw
                              >
                              > --- In bolger@y..., jnf.trt@w... wrote:
                              > > i think the main disafvantage of the sneakeasy is the size, it's
                              > too
                              > > small to sail with more than three or four people, that is the
                              > reason
                              > > i am looking to the idaho
                              > >
                              > > jan
                              > > the netherlands

                              01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                            • Dave
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 29, 2006
                                Hello,
                                Does anyone know if the Sneakeast plans are available in a 16' version?
                              • Mark Albanese
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 2, 2006
                                  Abosolutely!

                                  On Jun 29, 2006, at 7:41 PM, Dave wrote:

                                  > Hello,
                                  > Does anyone know if the Sneakeast plans are available in a 16'
                                  > version?

                                • superpum
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 8, 2008
                                    hi,
                                    im Rodrigo Mattiello, im from south of Brasil and i want to buy a
                                    sneakeasy plans and i wanna know if can i pay by credit card? and if
                                    the plans explain all the details to built it.
                                    thanks for now and hope to make some abroad friends,
                                    thanks Rodrigo
                                  • Máximo
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 8, 2008
                                      Boa tarde Rodrigo! ¿Cómo andan los gaúchos?

                                      My name is Máximo, from Buenos Aires. I dont know if you could pay to Payson
                                      or Bolger with an international credit card. On Payson website, it seams he
                                      only accept money orders or check.
                                      http://www.instantboats.com/overseas.htm

                                      Usually you get 2 or 3 big pages with the plans, and sometimes an A4 page
                                      with numbered step by step procedures. But if you are a first time builder,
                                      they are not very detailed, and you can get a nice panic attack on the first
                                      minutes :)

                                      Except Roberto "Cabinho" Barros, who has a book with instructions, any other
                                      designer I know (Wharram, Woods, etc) are not very friendly for the first
                                      time builder on the plans they sell, specially on international orders where
                                      you dont always have phone o fax facilities.

                                      So, I recommend you to buy the plans and build a scale model first, or
                                      better yet, buy Payson 3 books (with credit card from amazon) specially the
                                      last one, where you have a small print of sneakeasy plans among others
                                      designs.

                                      All 3 books are excellent, and have several chapters that introduces you to
                                      each step in boatbuilding. If you are confortable with what you read, then
                                      you could buy full scale plans if you want.

                                      Regards, Máximo.
                                    • Harry James
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 8, 2008
                                        You can get the plans from Herb Payson

                                        http://www.instantboats.com/

                                        He doesn't do credit cards, you will have to send some kind of money
                                        order or check, see the section on ordering. Plans are complete plus
                                        there is Fritz Funk's site on building one that might give you some
                                        visual help on construction.

                                        http://www.alaska.net/~fritzf/Boats/Sneakeasy/Sneakeasy.htm

                                        HJ

                                        superpum wrote:
                                        > hi,
                                        > im Rodrigo Mattiello, im from south of Brasil and i want to buy a
                                        > sneakeasy plans and i wanna know if can i pay by credit card? and if
                                        > the plans explain all the details to built it.
                                        > thanks for now and hope to make some abroad friends,
                                        > thanks Rodrigo

                                      • adventures_in_astrophotography
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 9, 2008
                                          Hi Rodrigo,

                                          > im Rodrigo Mattiello, im from south of Brasil and i want to buy a
                                          > sneakeasy plans and i wanna know if can i pay by credit card? and if
                                          > the plans explain all the details to built it.
                                          > thanks for now and hope to make some abroad friends,

                                          Welcome to the group.

                                          The only way I can think of to get Sneakeasy plans using a credit card
                                          is to buy Dynamite Payson's latest book. This book contains the plans
                                          for Sneakeasy (and 14 other plywood boats) in reduced size. The
                                          accompanying text describes the building process. The WoodenBoatStore
                                          http://www.woodenboatstore.com/ offers the book and you can use a
                                          credit card.

                                          Here's a direct link to the book on WoodenBoat's site:
                                          http://www.woodenboatstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=300%2D708

                                          Sneakeasy is an eye-catching boat and I wish you good luck in building
                                          it.

                                          Jon Kolb
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 9, 2008
                                            > > sneakeasy plans ...
                                            > > do the plans explain all the details to built it?

                                            The excellent new Payson book explains general boat building
                                            instructions, instructions not covered in the plans.

                                            Also if you haven't already, I strongly recommend building several
                                            small boats, before building a big boat. Learning the tricks while
                                            building small boats will pay you back double when you build the big
                                            boat. Also, building a model of a boat is a very helpful way to learn
                                            with cheap mistakes instead of big expensive mistakes. (And mistakes
                                            always happen.)
                                          • mike weekes
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 9, 2008
                                              Mike Weekes here - yellowstone_michael@...
                                              looking to correspond, learn from, share thoughts with S39 builders.
                                              How did it work for you?
                                              Can you live aboard - what worked, what didn't
                                              things you'd do differently - memories to share.

                                              Thank you, all - GREAT SITE!

                                              Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:
                                              > > sneakeasy plans ...
                                              > > do the plans explain all the details to built it?

                                              The excellent new Payson book explains general boat building
                                              instructions, instructions not covered in the plans.

                                              Also if you haven't already, I strongly recommend building several
                                              small boats, before building a big boat. Learning the tricks while
                                              building small boats will pay you back double when you build the big
                                              boat. Also, building a model of a boat is a very helpful way to learn
                                              with cheap mistakes instead of big expensive mistakes. (And mistakes
                                              always happen.)

                                            • Bob Rusk
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 9, 2008
                                                And, of course, you can purchase them full-size from Dynamite Payson
                                                -- but he doesn't take credit cards. Looks like $40 for the plans and
                                                $10 for "overseas" (export) shipping. Not sure how hard it is to get
                                                a check or money order in US funds in Brazil...

                                                Bob

                                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography"
                                                <jon@...> wrote:

                                                > Hi Rodrigo,
                                                >
                                                > > im Rodrigo Mattiello, im from south of Brasil and i want to buy a
                                                > > sneakeasy plans and i wanna know if can i pay by credit card? and if
                                                > > the plans explain all the details to built it.
                                                > > thanks for now and hope to make some abroad friends,
                                                >
                                                > Welcome to the group.
                                                >
                                                > The only way I can think of to get Sneakeasy plans using a credit card
                                                > is to buy Dynamite Payson's latest book. This book contains the plans
                                                > for Sneakeasy (and 14 other plywood boats) in reduced size. The
                                                > accompanying text describes the building process. The WoodenBoatStore
                                                > http://www.woodenboatstore.com/ offers the book and you can use a
                                                > credit card.
                                                >
                                                > Here's a direct link to the book on WoodenBoat's site:
                                                > http://www.woodenboatstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=300%2D708
                                                >
                                                > Sneakeasy is an eye-catching boat and I wish you good luck in building
                                                > it.
                                                >
                                                > Jon Kolb

                                              • Patrick Crockett
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jan 9, 2008
                                                  For a boat of this magnitude, I would think that it would be worth
                                                  paying the $50 plus whatever fee to get a money order in US currency to
                                                  have the full size plans. Much less chance of making a mistake due to
                                                  being unable to read the tiny print.

                                                  Patrick