[bolger] Re: collegiate racing, in schooners & otherwise

  • Phillip Lea
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2000
      Peter, great idea! Instead of just a sailing race as you suggest, how
      about combine it with rowing or paddling -- call it the "Open
      Watermens' Races". Part of each race must be under oar, paddle, or
      sweep, (skipper's and designer's discretion). The sail can not be set
      until after the first mark, and once set, oars must be shipped. All
      boats, spars, and oars/paddles/sweeps must be built of wood or wood
      products, no aluminum or carbon fiber allowed, but any type of
      construction, fastener or adhesive is allowed. Standing rigging is not
      allowed unless it's a line to hoist the sail, and if a halyard, may be
      secured anywhere but must not be moved once the sail is hoisted, and
      halyard secured. There would be two classes, round bottom and flat
      bottomed.

      This would promote the design and construction of good, inexpensive,
      small wooden boats, and good seamanship (boatsmanship?). Something
      like this would seem to work well at a wooden boat festival. You
      organize this for the next festival in your area and my June bug and I
      are there.

      For the experienced folk out there, assuming a triangular course, and
      the first mark to weather was under oar, what Bolger design would do
      best? A Gypsy with a lug or sprit rig?

      Phil Lea, Russellville, Arkansas

      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=2087