Re: [bolger] Re: destructive joint testing

  • Richard Spelling
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2002
      That looks like a glue line failure, but maybe I can't see it good enough.

      Incidentaly, if you take an unglued, unspliced piece of ply and break it
      over you knee, it will break where your knee is. If you do the same with the
      joint over your knee, it will break in the joint. My point is that putting
      all the stress at the joint will not give you a valid test.

      You should put the piece over a couple of sawhorses, with the joint in the
      air between them, then apply downward force to the ends hanging over the
      sides. This will apply stress to the entire center section of the board.

      Doing this with fg butt joints, it always fails in the wood next to the
      tape, not in the fg joint. Haven't tried this with scarphs.