Mobile Micro!

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2002
      With winches, jacks, and auto stands I finally got micro on my
      trailer and took her for a spin. New pictures at
      http://www.ultranet.com/~djost/Micro.htm

      Hopefully, I will be painting next weekend.

      David Jost
    • ellengaestboatbuildingcom
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2002
        David,
        Arrrgh!She's lookin' ready for a serious soakin' real soon I
        reckon!! You certainly have displayed remarkable constraint in not
        driving lickity-split over to a launch ramp just for a quick spin
        under power!
        I couldn't help but to notice how you secured your mainmast on
        top of the boat.Depending on how much driving/trailering you intend on
        doing with your Micro,you may wish to perhaps secure the spars as
        follows;
        Get a used piece of carpeting about the length of the
        companionway rails and a couple of feet wide.Lay your spars on this
        carpet(which is layed on the the cabin/deck) tight against the
        rail.Then buy,borrow,scrounge or steal a 6inch diameter boat fender
        which you then lay flat and athwartship over the top of the transom
        cross piece.I recommend doing this on the starboard side to take
        advantage of the boomkin hole through the transom for the passing of
        lines/tie-downs.Another small piece of carpeting then goes over the
        mainmast partners.
        You should find that by securing your spars this way that they
        end up evenly/better supported,the fine finish of boat and spars is
        not prejudiced and that no matter how rough the road,the skinny end of
        the mainmast will not whip itself to death(as I fear it may if
        transported along the centerline over the companionway hatch as in
        your photos).
        This was how I trailered my Micro down to Newport in'93 and
        despite interstate speeds and bumps, all survived without so much as a
        scratch.
        And finally,as you enter the finishing stage,summon up whatever
        it takes to put a really fine finish on the Firefly.This will be all
        that you and the rest of the world will ever have to stare at
        again,despite what we know went into building her, so make it
        beautiful David!!
        Best Wishes!
        Sincerely,
        Peter Lenihan,big time Micro fan,from the dark and cool shores of the
        St.Lawrence...........

        --- In bolger@y..., "dnjost" <djost@m...> wrote:
        > With winches, jacks, and auto stands I finally got micro on my
        > trailer and took her for a spin.
        >
        > David Jost
      • ntsrfer
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2002
          Hi David ,

          I have been watching your progress for quite some time now.
          Thanks for sharing your building process with us.I and I'm sure many
          others have enjoyed it as well. Good Job.

          What sort of paint are you going to use to paint your micro?

          I have decided to use interlux brightsides.

          Todd