[bolger] Re: Hour 40

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
      >Polyurethane glue; and it is new to me. Someone here recommended it
      >a few weeks back. I am using a 'generic' version of the brand name
      >stuff, $7 a pint. I like that it has GREAT adhesion, it is *really*

      At $7/pint that's $56/gallon -- more than Raka epoxy. Why not use epoxy?

      YIBB,

      David

      C.E.P.
      415 W.46th Street
      New York, New York 10036
      http://www.crumblingempire.com
      (212) 247-0296
    • dbaldnz
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
        --- In bolger@y..., David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:

        > >Polyurethane glue; and it is new to me. Someone here recommended
        it
        > >a few weeks back. I am using a 'generic' version of the brand name
        > >stuff, $7 a pint. I like that it has GREAT adhesion, it is
        *really*

        > At $7/pint that's $56/gallon -- more than Raka epoxy. Why not use
        epoxy?

        > YIBB,
        >
        > David

        Absolutely David. And vastly inferior to epoxy for boatbuilding,
        except for minor restricted use. I will be sending my experience of
        Gorilla soon.
        DonB
      • Harry W. James
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
          Good point, I use it because it is very convenient. Pick up bottle,
          squirt on joint cap bottle, clamp up. Lots quicker than mixing, also
          less waste, at least for me on small jobs as I always mix to much. Major
          stuff where I recall care I will use epoxy.

          HJ

        • boatbuilding@goldencoast.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002

            > --- In bolger@y..., David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:
            >>
            >> >Polyurethane glue; and it is new to me. Someone here
            >> >recommended

            I'm using a lot of this glue on the Wyoming. I do limit it to
            large gluing surfaces such as where the 1 1/2" square stock is
            glued down to the hull and nailed also, or the 1x4 stock is
            glued to bulkheads. I did some test and where there is good
            size gluing surfaces it holds as well as epoxy. The wood will
            separate before the joint gives. This is on plywood and
            cedar. I think hardwoods would do better with epoxy.

            Any places that require waterproof assembly or where I'm going
            to use fillets and tape, I use epoxy. Without a doubt epoxy is
            a better glue, but, in large gluing surfaces, the polyurethane
            will hold very well and is stronger than the wood, which after
            all is all you need from a glue.

            I find the polyurethane allows me to build much faster than
            epoxy. Within a couple hours it's set well enough to remove
            clamps and continue building. On a big boat like the Wyo,
            thats a huge advantage.

            Jeff
          • boatbuilding@goldencoast.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002

              >>Polyurethane glue; and it is new to me. Someone here
              >>recommended it a few weeks back. I am using a 'generic'
              >>version of the brand name stuff, $7 a pint. I like that it
              >>has GREAT adhesion, it is *really*
              >
              > At $7/pint that's $56/gallon -- more than Raka epoxy. Why
              > not use epoxy?

              It is not cheaper than epoxy by any means. BUT, it's much
              easier to work with and it sets up in a couple hours and you
              can continue building. That's the advantage. Where I use it,
              I would use more epoxy because of the waste. I never seem to
              be able to mix up the exact amount needed. With a squeeze
              bottle you use what you need. It's still more expensive but
              not terribly so and you pay for convenience.

              Jeff
            • rnlocnil
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
                Yes, but does it have any strength when the parts don't have a tight
                fit? Epoxy is pretty good stuff for filling small gaps (or large ones,
                if you can afford it).
                --- In bolger@y..., <boatbuilding@g...> wrote:

                > >>Polyurethane glue; snip
              • brucehallman
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
                  --- In bolger@y..., David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:

                  > At $7/pint that's $56/gallon -- more than Raka epoxy.
                  > Why not use epoxy?

                  Whim and not much else. I think the Gorilla Glue swells up by 3 or 4
                  times, so a pint equals perhaps a quart of thickened epoxy. Also, I
                  feel that dealing with a squeeze bottle, versus mixing up a batch
                  from two parts, is a little easier.

                  The real reason I switched, was that day last weekend when I was
                  working outdoors in the pouring rain, with very wet wood. The glue
                  joint I made with epoxy fell apart; disgusted, I ran to the store and
                  bought the Gorilla Glue and discovered that it sticks even better
                  when things are wet.
                • nettech22407
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
                    I have used gorilla glue as well as epoxy, and PL premium.

                    My experience indicates that the epoxy is the strongest. The PL is
                    is a little sensative to surface prep, it doesn't seem to like laytex
                    paint. I found that the GG used in loose joints is shock sensative.
                    I found this out the hard way, my 15' skiff slid off of the saw
                    horses I had it on. Where I only used GG to join the frames and
                    there were gaps, the shock of the fall knocked the frames off of the
                    plywood sides. Where I used 3M 5200 there was no problems. I had
                    used 5200 on the port side and GG on the starboard side. The GG
                    joint separated without damaging the underlying wood.

                    From working with all the above glues, I have come to like 3M 5200.
                    The regular version sets in 4 hours and takes up to 4 days to fully
                    cure. The fast cure 5200 sets in 45 minutes and cures in one day.
                    It will bridge gaps of up to 3/8" or 9mm. When it cures it does not
                    foam. When cured, it has the consistancy of the rubber used in
                    skateboard wheels. On bare wood, removing it requires taking away
                    some of the underlying wood. The downside to this glue, is you
                    should clean up right away, it is a bear to sand off drips.

                    >snip
                    >--- In bolger@y..., "brucehallman" <brucehallman@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In bolger@y..., teakdeck@a... wrote:
                    > > Gorilla glue.
                    >
                    > http://www.gorillaglue.com/
                    >
                    > Polyurethane glue; and it is new to me. Someone here recommended
                    it
                    > a few weeks back. I am using a 'generic' version of the brand name
                    > stuff, $7 a pint. I like that it has GREAT adhesion, it is
                    *really*
                    > snip
                  • dbaldnz
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
                      Sorry Bruce, but I cannot understand your logic at all on this one.
                      All epoxy labels say the wood must be dry.
                      Gorilla labels say the joint should be damp.
                      What would you expect?
                      DonB

                      --- In bolger@y..., "brucehallman" <brucehallman@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In bolger@y..., David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:
                      >
                      > The real reason I switched, was that day last weekend when I was
                      > working outdoors in the pouring rain, with very wet wood. The glue
                      > joint I made with epoxy fell apart; disgusted, I ran to the store
                      and
                      > bought the Gorilla Glue and discovered that it sticks even better
                      > when things are wet.
                    • donm172001
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 6, 2002
                        --- In bolger@y..., "brucehallman" <brucehallman@y...> wrote:
                        > I am still plugging away at my lapstrake learning experiment with
                        > Spur II [BWAOM]. My strakes are very far from 'correct', but never
                        > the less, I think the boat will float. I learned enough about how
                        > strakes fall on frames that "next time" I bet I can make proper
                        > strakes [perhaps]. The boat is extremely light weight.
                        >
                        > I think that using 1/8" plywood to "plank" a boat is quicker than
                        > using 1/4" redwood strips. Gorilla glue is excellent stuff.
                        >
                        > http://www.hallman.org/bolger/spur/hour40/

                        A great resource for learning how to lay out and spile strakes is
                        "The Clinker Plywood Boatbuilding Manual" by Iain Oughtred. It also
                        has a wealth of information on building lapstrake plywood boats. It
                        is available at Amazon and the WoodenBoat Store.