Re: [bolger] Gullapalooza (cont.)

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 2, 2002
      FBBB --

      A seven inch grinder and a 36 grit disk makes short work of drip,
      droops, gops and goobers. It can also make short work of your glass
      job or even the whole boat, so it is with considerable relief that I
      can report that I've cleaned up my glass job and I'm ready to apply a
      skim coat of filling/fairing compound!

      The "satin-weave" cloth has considerably less relief to its weave at
      this point and the filling/fairing looks like it will be relatively
      easy. I'm going to get out my drywall tools and see if they help.

      I'll post a photo of the hull glassed and ground presently at:

      http://www.crumblingempire.com/gullapalooza/glassednground.jpg

      YIBB,

      David

      C.E.P.
      415 W.46th Street
      New York, New York 10036
      http://www.crumblingempire.com
      (212) 247-0296
    • Nickerson, Bruce
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
        I had been tempted to make a similar comment about the Aztec. The first
        Aztec that caught my eye and impressed me with its ugliness was a bright
        red. But then, I like 3 wheeled Morgans, "perpindicular period" MGs,
        British Seagull Outboard motors, and other bizarre, but attractive, British
        machinery. Who am I to cast stones at Ugly American iron?

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
          Thank You Bruce,

          I thought the Aztec was an SUV? My understanding of the word truck
          is something that has an open bed and the room to buckle your seat
          belt without bonking heads with the passenger. As for all things
          British you obviously have not felt the sting of the curse of Lucas
          electric's.

          I myself am waiting for my Brick plans to arrive(first bolger design
          I'll build)but I will not try building "ITH". I can say without any
          problem that a Gloucester Gull could make any vehicle look
          outstanding. Just because my first choice in an SUV would not be an
          Aztec does not mean I would call it ugly. Beauty is always in the eye
          of the beholder but comments about the choice of a woman's clothes or
          cars are seldom forgotten and forgiven.

          Those of us in Oregon(I speak for myself mainly)are not blessed with
          wives that allow boatbuilding inside of our house. I am extremely
          jealous of all you east-coasters that have such understanding female
          companions. It must be something in the water? And what of all that
          testing? I am no student of anthropology but there seem to be
          distinct differences between east and west coast family life. I am so
          glad that my hobby is boat building and not anthropology but
          sometimes late at night my mind will question what I have read.

          --- In bolger@y..., "Nickerson, Bruce " <nickerb@p...> wrote:
          > I had been tempted to make a similar comment about the Aztec. The
          first
          > Aztec that caught my eye and impressed me with its ugliness was a
          bright
          > red. But then, I like 3 wheeled Morgans, "perpindicular period"
          MGs,
          > British Seagull Outboard motors, and other bizarre, but attractive,
          British
          > machinery. Who am I to cast stones at Ugly American iron?

        • Harry W. James
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
            I had a 1959 TR3 that had an on off switch on the dash made by Lucas
            that must of had 15 moving parts in it. Decades later, I still marvel.

            Bolger's designs tend to ruthlessly simplify on the other hand, and you
            were wondering how I was going to get back OT.

            HJ

            As for all things British you obviously have not felt the sting of the
            curse of Lucas
            >electric's.
          • rnlocnil
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
              ITH = in the house? Why so cryptic?

              The Brick is a great little boat (or maybe a great big boat that
              happens to be short) with amazing capacity. At least it's great for
              sailing. Pretty lousy to row, tho it can be done, and I'm sure you
              could ros 4 people and gear out to a boat faster than with several
              trips in a Nymph or something.
              --- In bolger@y..., "announcer97624" <cupp@k...> wrote:
              snip

              > I myself am waiting for my Brick plans to arrive(first bolger
              design
              > I'll build)but I will not try building "ITH". snip
            • sacalman
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
                I had a '63 BSA 650 and it was touched by the "Prince of Darkness"
                too. I gave it to my brother and he is on his 3rd year of
                restoration. Can't seem to find a generator armature...

                Scott calman

                --- In bolger@y..., "lulalake_1999" <lulalake_1999@y...> wrote:
                > Oh yes.
                >
                > I've had a few English cars in my life and have known the touch of
                > Lucas more than once.
                >
                > It's good to remember that the name "Lucas" is a form of "Lucifer"

              • lulalake_1999
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
                  And speaking of places to find British bike parts

                  http://www.britishonly.com/webcatalog/new.txt

                  http://www.britishbikeconnection.com/parts.htm

                  http://xandersbritbikes.tripod.com/xandersbritbikes/id7.html

                  Off topic, I know but fun to find rare stuff.

                  I stuck mainly to Japanese bikes or Ariel square 4's

                  till I discovered sailboats

                  --- In bolger@y..., "sacalman" <sacalman@y...> wrote:
                  > I had a '63 BSA 650 and it was touched by the "Prince of Darkness"
                  > too. I gave it to my brother and he is on his 3rd year of
                  > restoration. Can't seem to find a generator armature...
                  >
                  > Scott calman
                  >
                  > --- In bolger@y..., "lulalake_1999" <lulalake_1999@y...> wrote:
                  > > Oh yes.
                  > >
                  > > I've had a few English cars in my life and have known the touch
                  of
                  > > Lucas more than once.
                  > >
                  > > It's good to remember that the name "Lucas" is a form
                  of "Lucifer"

                • Nickerson, Bruce
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 4, 2002
                    Lucas Lord of Darkness never bothered me, and I even mastered SU carbs. But
                    I have heard a rumor that Jaguar never built its own radios because they did
                    not want oil leaks in passenger compartment.

                    The Seagull, however, is appealing because of its simplicity. REminds me of
                    the model airplane engines I used to play with as a kid.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 4, 2002
                      What's an "ITH".snip?

                      The Brick is a great little boat (or maybe a great big boat that
                      happens to be short) with amazing capacity. At least it's great for
                      sailing. Pretty lousy to row, tho it can be done, and I'm sure you
                      could ros 4 people and gear out to a boat faster than with several
                      trips in a Nymph or something.
                      --- In bolger@y..., "announcer97624" <cupp@k...> wrote:
                      snip

                      > I myself am waiting for my Brick plans to arrive(first bolger
                      design
                      > I'll build)but I will not try building "ITH". snip

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.2097561.3556641.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=17050657
                      91:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=213858.2097561.3556641.1829184/D=egroupmai
                      l/S=1705065791:HM/A=763352/rand=535706816>

                      Bolger rules!!!
                      01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    • ghartc
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 4, 2002
                        Boatbuilding! Boatbuilding! Boatbuilding!

                        Unless you're trailering boats with your car,
                        this is a little off topic ;-}

                        Thanks, Moderator

                        --- In bolger@y..., "sacalman" <sacalman@y...> wrote:
                        > I had a '63 BSA 650 and it was touched by the "Prince of Darkness"
                        > too. I gave it to my brother and he is on his 3rd year of
                        > restoration. Can't seem to find a generator armature...
                        >
                        > Scott calman
                        >
                        > --- In bolger@y..., "lulalake_1999" <lulalake_1999@y...> wrote:
                        > > Oh yes.
                        > >
                        > > I've had a few English cars in my life and have known the touch
                        of
                        > > Lucas more than once.
                        > >
                        > > It's good to remember that the name "Lucas" is a form of "Lucifer"

                      • futabachan
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 4, 2002
                          > I thought the Aztec was an SUV?

                          It is, kind of. Pontiac calls it a "Sport Recreation Vehicle" --
                          it's sort of halfway between a SUV and a minivan. I really don't
                          understand why people think it's so ugly -- especially people who
                          enjoy Bolger boats. :-) Oh well, de gustibus, I guess....

                          > My understanding of the word truck
                          > is something that has an open bed and the room to buckle your
                          > seat belt without bonking heads with the passenger.

                          Well, my Suburban (ObBoatbuilding: which I bought to tow my
                          Insolent 60 around) certainly qualifies as a "truck", and it's
                          fully enclosed. There's certainly room in both vehicles to
                          buckle your seatbelt without bonking heads with the passenger (?),
                          even while hauling a stack of 4x8 plywood sheets, which both can
                          do.

                          --
                          Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
                        • sacalman
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 4, 2002
                            I do hearby solemnly promise to not talk about motorcycles, cars ETC.

                            I do rewserve the right to talk about my Seagull. ( I love that
                            simple beast)...

                            Scott Calman

                            --- In bolger@y..., "ghartc" <gcarlson@c...> wrote:
                            > Boatbuilding! Boatbuilding! Boatbuilding!
                            >
                            > Unless you're trailering boats with your car,
                            > this is a little off topic ;-}
                            >
                            > Thanks, Moderator
                            >
                            > --- In bolger@y..., "sacalman" <sacalman@y...> wrote:
                            > > I had a '63 BSA 650 and it was touched by the "Prince of
                            Darkness"
                            > > too. I gave it to my brother and he is on his 3rd year of
                            > > restoration. Can't seem to find a generator armature...
                            > >
                            > > Scott calman
                            > >
                            > > --- In bolger@y..., "lulalake_1999" <lulalake_1999@y...> wrote:
                            > > > Oh yes.
                            > > >
                            > > > I've had a few English cars in my life and have known the touch
                            > of
                            > > > Lucas more than once.
                            > > >
                            > > > It's good to remember that the name "Lucas" is a form
                            of "Lucifer"

                          • Clyde S. Wisner
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
                              I have fitted a 6" backer and sanding disk to my 4" grinder but the torgue makes it hard to hold with
                              one hand. It does eat most anything though. Clyde