Re: Gullapalooza (cont.)

  • announcer97624
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 2, 2002
      Susan,

      You wrote,
      > > The boat rode right side up on her roof racks and as far
      > > as I know both objectives were achieved.
      >
      > I was foolish enough to have forgotten to bring line with me to
      > tie the boat to the roof rack, so David was gracious enough to
      > supply some twine to supplement the bungee cords that I did
      > remember. I had a minor emergency driving through the Hamptons
      > when the twine on the port side of the boat (and starboard side
      > of the car, since we put it on facing backwards) chafed through
      > due to careless bungee cord placement, but I was able to re-tie
      > everything snugly enough to get the boat home at 60 mph. The
      > boat sat very securely at 60 mph, and danced around like crazy
      > at 65, so I stayed at 60 or less for the whole trip, which meant
      > that I had to pull over for a brief nap at one point to keep
      > from falling asleep.

      You did not comment on David's remark, "2) Making sure no drips of
      epoxy goobered up Sue's new (but very
      ugly) truck".

      I loved the photo's and commentary but wondered why David would make
      such a statement about your new boat transport?

      John,
      from Oregon
    • David Ryan
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 2, 2002
        FBBB --

        A seven inch grinder and a 36 grit disk makes short work of drip,
        droops, gops and goobers. It can also make short work of your glass
        job or even the whole boat, so it is with considerable relief that I
        can report that I've cleaned up my glass job and I'm ready to apply a
        skim coat of filling/fairing compound!

        The "satin-weave" cloth has considerably less relief to its weave at
        this point and the filling/fairing looks like it will be relatively
        easy. I'm going to get out my drywall tools and see if they help.

        I'll post a photo of the hull glassed and ground presently at:

        http://www.crumblingempire.com/gullapalooza/glassednground.jpg

        YIBB,

        David

        C.E.P.
        415 W.46th Street
        New York, New York 10036
        http://www.crumblingempire.com
        (212) 247-0296
      • Nickerson, Bruce
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
          I had been tempted to make a similar comment about the Aztec. The first
          Aztec that caught my eye and impressed me with its ugliness was a bright
          red. But then, I like 3 wheeled Morgans, "perpindicular period" MGs,
          British Seagull Outboard motors, and other bizarre, but attractive, British
          machinery. Who am I to cast stones at Ugly American iron?

          > > The boat rode right side up on her roof racks and as far
          > > as I know both objectives were achieved.
          >
          > I was foolish enough to have forgotten to bring line with me to
          > tie the boat to the roof rack, so David was gracious enough to
          > supply some twine to supplement the bungee cords that I did
          > remember. I had a minor emergency driving through the Hamptons
          > when the twine on the port side of the boat (and starboard side
          > of the car, since we put it on facing backwards) chafed through
          > due to careless bungee cord placement, but I was able to re-tie
          > everything snugly enough to get the boat home at 60 mph. The
          > boat sat very securely at 60 mph, and danced around like crazy
          > at 65, so I stayed at 60 or less for the whole trip, which meant
          > that I had to pull over for a brief nap at one point to keep
          > from falling asleep.

          You did not comment on David's remark, "2) Making sure no drips of
          epoxy goobered up Sue's new (but very
          ugly) truck".

          I loved the photo's and commentary but wondered why David would make
          such a statement about your new boat transport?

          John,
          from Oregon

          Bolger rules!!!
          01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • announcer97624
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
            Thank You Bruce,

            I thought the Aztec was an SUV? My understanding of the word truck
            is something that has an open bed and the room to buckle your seat
            belt without bonking heads with the passenger. As for all things
            British you obviously have not felt the sting of the curse of Lucas
            electric's.

            I myself am waiting for my Brick plans to arrive(first bolger design
            I'll build)but I will not try building "ITH". I can say without any
            problem that a Gloucester Gull could make any vehicle look
            outstanding. Just because my first choice in an SUV would not be an
            Aztec does not mean I would call it ugly. Beauty is always in the eye
            of the beholder but comments about the choice of a woman's clothes or
            cars are seldom forgotten and forgiven.

            Those of us in Oregon(I speak for myself mainly)are not blessed with
            wives that allow boatbuilding inside of our house. I am extremely
            jealous of all you east-coasters that have such understanding female
            companions. It must be something in the water? And what of all that
            testing? I am no student of anthropology but there seem to be
            distinct differences between east and west coast family life. I am so
            glad that my hobby is boat building and not anthropology but
            sometimes late at night my mind will question what I have read.

            --- In bolger@y..., "Nickerson, Bruce " <nickerb@p...> wrote:
            > I had been tempted to make a similar comment about the Aztec. The
            first
            > Aztec that caught my eye and impressed me with its ugliness was a
            bright
            > red. But then, I like 3 wheeled Morgans, "perpindicular period"
            MGs,
            > British Seagull Outboard motors, and other bizarre, but attractive,
            British
            > machinery. Who am I to cast stones at Ugly American iron?

          • Harry W. James
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
              I had a 1959 TR3 that had an on off switch on the dash made by Lucas
              that must of had 15 moving parts in it. Decades later, I still marvel.

              Bolger's designs tend to ruthlessly simplify on the other hand, and you
              were wondering how I was going to get back OT.

              HJ

              As for all things British you obviously have not felt the sting of the
              curse of Lucas
              >electric's.
            • rnlocnil
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
                ITH = in the house? Why so cryptic?

                The Brick is a great little boat (or maybe a great big boat that
                happens to be short) with amazing capacity. At least it's great for
                sailing. Pretty lousy to row, tho it can be done, and I'm sure you
                could ros 4 people and gear out to a boat faster than with several
                trips in a Nymph or something.
                --- In bolger@y..., "announcer97624" <cupp@k...> wrote:
                snip

                > I myself am waiting for my Brick plans to arrive(first bolger
                design
                > I'll build)but I will not try building "ITH". snip
              • sacalman
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
                  I had a '63 BSA 650 and it was touched by the "Prince of Darkness"
                  too. I gave it to my brother and he is on his 3rd year of
                  restoration. Can't seem to find a generator armature...

                  Scott calman

                  --- In bolger@y..., "lulalake_1999" <lulalake_1999@y...> wrote:
                  > Oh yes.
                  >
                  > I've had a few English cars in my life and have known the touch of
                  > Lucas more than once.
                  >
                  > It's good to remember that the name "Lucas" is a form of "Lucifer"

                • lulalake_1999
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
                    And speaking of places to find British bike parts

                    http://www.britishonly.com/webcatalog/new.txt

                    http://www.britishbikeconnection.com/parts.htm

                    http://xandersbritbikes.tripod.com/xandersbritbikes/id7.html

                    Off topic, I know but fun to find rare stuff.

                    I stuck mainly to Japanese bikes or Ariel square 4's

                    till I discovered sailboats

                    --- In bolger@y..., "sacalman" <sacalman@y...> wrote:
                    > I had a '63 BSA 650 and it was touched by the "Prince of Darkness"
                    > too. I gave it to my brother and he is on his 3rd year of
                    > restoration. Can't seem to find a generator armature...
                    >
                    > Scott calman
                    >
                    > --- In bolger@y..., "lulalake_1999" <lulalake_1999@y...> wrote:
                    > > Oh yes.
                    > >
                    > > I've had a few English cars in my life and have known the touch
                    of
                    > > Lucas more than once.
                    > >
                    > > It's good to remember that the name "Lucas" is a form
                    of "Lucifer"

                  • Nickerson, Bruce
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 4, 2002
                      Lucas Lord of Darkness never bothered me, and I even mastered SU carbs. But
                      I have heard a rumor that Jaguar never built its own radios because they did
                      not want oil leaks in passenger compartment.

                      The Seagull, however, is appealing because of its simplicity. REminds me of
                      the model airplane engines I used to play with as a kid.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 4, 2002
                        What's an "ITH".snip?

                        The Brick is a great little boat (or maybe a great big boat that
                        happens to be short) with amazing capacity. At least it's great for
                        sailing. Pretty lousy to row, tho it can be done, and I'm sure you
                        could ros 4 people and gear out to a boat faster than with several
                        trips in a Nymph or something.
                        --- In bolger@y..., "announcer97624" <cupp@k...> wrote:
                        snip

                        > I myself am waiting for my Brick plans to arrive(first bolger
                        design
                        > I'll build)but I will not try building "ITH". snip

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.2097561.3556641.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=17050657
                        91:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=213858.2097561.3556641.1829184/D=egroupmai
                        l/S=1705065791:HM/A=763352/rand=535706816>

                        Bolger rules!!!
                        01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                      • ghartc
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 4, 2002
                          Boatbuilding! Boatbuilding! Boatbuilding!

                          Unless you're trailering boats with your car,
                          this is a little off topic ;-}

                          Thanks, Moderator

                          --- In bolger@y..., "sacalman" <sacalman@y...> wrote:
                          > I had a '63 BSA 650 and it was touched by the "Prince of Darkness"
                          > too. I gave it to my brother and he is on his 3rd year of
                          > restoration. Can't seem to find a generator armature...
                          >
                          > Scott calman
                          >
                          > --- In bolger@y..., "lulalake_1999" <lulalake_1999@y...> wrote:
                          > > Oh yes.
                          > >
                          > > I've had a few English cars in my life and have known the touch
                          of
                          > > Lucas more than once.
                          > >
                          > > It's good to remember that the name "Lucas" is a form of "Lucifer"

                        • futabachan
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 4, 2002
                            > I thought the Aztec was an SUV?

                            It is, kind of. Pontiac calls it a "Sport Recreation Vehicle" --
                            it's sort of halfway between a SUV and a minivan. I really don't
                            understand why people think it's so ugly -- especially people who
                            enjoy Bolger boats. :-) Oh well, de gustibus, I guess....

                            > My understanding of the word truck
                            > is something that has an open bed and the room to buckle your
                            > seat belt without bonking heads with the passenger.

                            Well, my Suburban (ObBoatbuilding: which I bought to tow my
                            Insolent 60 around) certainly qualifies as a "truck", and it's
                            fully enclosed. There's certainly room in both vehicles to
                            buckle your seatbelt without bonking heads with the passenger (?),
                            even while hauling a stack of 4x8 plywood sheets, which both can
                            do.

                            --
                            Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
                          • sacalman
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 4, 2002
                              I do hearby solemnly promise to not talk about motorcycles, cars ETC.

                              I do rewserve the right to talk about my Seagull. ( I love that
                              simple beast)...

                              Scott Calman

                              --- In bolger@y..., "ghartc" <gcarlson@c...> wrote:
                              > Boatbuilding! Boatbuilding! Boatbuilding!
                              >
                              > Unless you're trailering boats with your car,
                              > this is a little off topic ;-}
                              >
                              > Thanks, Moderator
                              >
                              > --- In bolger@y..., "sacalman" <sacalman@y...> wrote:
                              > > I had a '63 BSA 650 and it was touched by the "Prince of
                              Darkness"
                              > > too. I gave it to my brother and he is on his 3rd year of
                              > > restoration. Can't seem to find a generator armature...
                              > >
                              > > Scott calman
                              > >
                              > > --- In bolger@y..., "lulalake_1999" <lulalake_1999@y...> wrote:
                              > > > Oh yes.
                              > > >
                              > > > I've had a few English cars in my life and have known the touch
                              > of
                              > > > Lucas more than once.
                              > > >
                              > > > It's good to remember that the name "Lucas" is a form
                              of "Lucifer"

                            • Clyde S. Wisner
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
                                I have fitted a 6" backer and sanding disk to my 4" grinder but the torgue makes it hard to hold with
                                one hand. It does eat most anything though. Clyde