Re: [bolger] OSB

  • Richard Spelling
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
      Well, "particle board", the smooth glued up sawdust variety, is NOT
      waterproof, as evidenced by the 3/4" board on my porch now swelled to 1 1/8"
      and slowly turning back to sawdust in the rain.

      "waferboard", boards made up from largish chips, may be relatively
      waterproof. The forms for the CLC are laying on the ground in the rain so I
      don't have to walk in the mud. They seem to be holding up OK.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
        Hello all,

        I work in the building industry(Although I don't pound nails) in
        California and at this point we make all of our houses out of OSB
        here. There are huge amounts of this stuff lying around our job sites
        and I tend to pick up the larger cutoffs and make things out of them.

        This is tough stuff and can take the weather(well, Southern
        California weather..;)) quite well. I have also picked up pieces that
        were repeatedly run over by backhoes, trucks, Pettibones, ETC. and
        never seen any significant delamination.

        Three things I do know, you cannot get a smooth finish, there is
        significant checking when cutting, and deck screws will pull right
        through it when enough force is applied. I solved the finish issue by
        laminating door skins or Formica to the faces. So far I have built
        several pieces of outside furniture and shelves for my garage out of
        free materials.

        I would suggest that before you build a boat out of it that you put a
        piece in your dishwasher for a month and see if it delaminates.

        Good Luck!

        Scott Calman

        --- In bolger@y..., "Bruce C. Anderson" <bcanderson@c...> wrote:
        > Howdy
        >
        > Has anyone used OSB for building a stitch and tape boat?
        >
        > See Ya
        >
        > Have Fun
        >
        > Bruce
        >
        > http://www.cableone.net/bcanderson/
      • timothyennuinet
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
          I can believe that OSB is strong.. when backed by a strong material
          (like the ground, or rebar/steel framing). But there is NO WAY I would
          build anything except a small boat intended for intermittent use from it.

          The strength of wood, the real strength, is from the continuous fiber
          strands that lie throughout. In plywood, this is maximized by laying
          lam layers at cross grain. IN OSB, the strain is being held by the
          GLUE, which is passing strain through the wood fiber bits within it.

          I would bet loads of cash that OSB does not stand up under repeated
          shock loading, like pounding in a rough seaway or being tossed against
          a pier a few times during a storm.

          Before using this for any boat project larger than a messabout, I
          would seriously consider looking for real test data done under the
          conditions that boats experience in the water when being driven. In
          fact, contact this association mentioned about it. They may have data.
          If they can assure me that the wood wont disintegrate when I bump into
          that steel yacht in the anchorage, Ill think about it.

          In the meantime, I'll wait for my next check to buy some BS1088 Okume.
          Yes, it costs twice or more as other woods, but darn.. it has a long
          record of success, and loads of test data to back it up. Does that
          mean I have to wait longer to get in the water? Yep. But with my wife
          in the boat, no other way I'd do it. :)

          --Timothy
        • proaconstrictor
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
            The half inch stuff is an inch or more after a while in the rain. If
            you sheath it with epoxy, it would probably hold up pretty well, but
            so would issues of playboy magazine. I think once you throw that
            kind of money and effort at a project, consider all the problems with
            load take-offs, swelling, etc, I would spring for something a little
            better, doesn't generaly have to be 1088, but I can't see any
            argument for OSB.-

            -- In bolger@y..., "sacalman" <sacalman@y...> wrote:
            > Hello all,
            >
            > I work in the building industry(Although I don't pound nails) in
            > California and at this point we make all of our houses out of OSB
            > here. >

            snip

            I would suggest that before you build a boat out of it that you put a
            > piece in your dishwasher for a month and see if it delaminates.

            It's true! it never rains in sothern California.
          • nettech22407
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
              OSB is to marine plywood as Scrapple is to tenderloin.

              What OSB and scrapple have in commen is that both are made from floor
              sweepings.
            • Nickerson, Bruce
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                I will be sure never to scramble any OSB with my morning eggs.

                OSB is to marine plywood as Scrapple is to tenderloin.

                What OSB and scrapple have in commen is that both are made from floor
                sweepings.

                Bolger rules!!!
                01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • steelcb
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 9, 2002
                  Without a doubt, oriented strand board (OSB) made of large flakes or
                  "wafers" of wood thus the nickname "waferboard" is very different
                  from particleboard and is strong and made using exterior glues. I
                  considered building a small boat with it myself because of the low
                  cost (I'm pretty cheap when it comes to paying for materials).

                  In pursuit of this, I called Dynamite Payson's number and his
                  delightful wife, who said he was "..working on somebody's boat," got
                  him to the phone for me.

                  His response to my question "Could I build a boat of OSB?" was
                  simply, "Yes, if you want to sink."

                  Tom Pannell