Re: [bolger] OSB

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
      > http://www.sba-osb.com/sba/Index.html

      Looking a little further, it's less clear to me if this is the rough, "Chipboard" or the
      smooth faced, "Fiberboard."

      Which did you have n mind, Bruce?

      Mark
    • Bruce C. Anderson
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
        Howdy

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
          Howdy Mark

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
            > The "Chipboard" was what I had in mind. What is "fiberboard"? is it a
            > smooth faced type of OSB?

            Hiya, Bruce.

            Yes, sorta. Both are wood detritus fixed in glue. Particleboard is the other name. They
            sell it around here for underlayment, and I think it is the same as used for inexpensive
            furniture, sometimes plain, or with a wood grained laminate. It's pretty easily flaked or shattered.

            > I thought it would be heavy, but, it wouldn't have any voids. If you
            > sheathed the outside in fiberglass would it be that hard to finish?? the
            > inside might be a different matter. A thin coat of bondo comes to mind, but
            > that would only increase the weight. :(

            Both have to be a lot thicker and heavier than ply to have the same strength. By the
            time you've done all this fixing, any savings are quite out the window.

            I've recently done some boil and cold water soak tests on some Philippine that's not
            officially rated exterior, with encouraging results for intermittently used small craft.
            The sheets look good both sides and I cannot find a single void. If you're really on a
            budget, then I think that's the way to go.

            On the other hand, real 6mm marine can be had starting at $42.50 / sheet. You'd spend a
            like amount ( or more ) if you feel the need to epoxy it all over. So by using crap,
            you'll only save at most $50 on a two sheet boat.

            I've looked at that $5 a sheet stuff longingly myself. Notice nobody responded in the
            affirmative yet to your original question.

            Sorry,
            Mark
          • Richard Spelling
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
              Well, "particle board", the smooth glued up sawdust variety, is NOT
              waterproof, as evidenced by the 3/4" board on my porch now swelled to 1 1/8"
              and slowly turning back to sawdust in the rain.

              "waferboard", boards made up from largish chips, may be relatively
              waterproof. The forms for the CLC are laying on the ground in the rain so I
              don't have to walk in the mud. They seem to be holding up OK.

              | > The "Chipboard" was what I had in mind. What is "fiberboard"? is it a
              | > smooth faced type of OSB?
              |
              | Hiya, Bruce.
              |
              | Yes, sorta. Both are wood detritus fixed in glue. Particleboard is the
              other name. They
              | sell it around here for underlayment, and I think it is the same as used
              for inexpensive
              | furniture, sometimes plain, or with a wood grained laminate. It's pretty
              easily flaked or shattered.

              | > I thought it would be heavy, but, it wouldn't have any voids. If you
              | > sheathed the outside in fiberglass would it be that hard to finish??
              the
              | > inside might be a different matter. A thin coat of bondo comes to mind,
              but
              | > that would only increase the weight. :(
              |
              | Both have to be a lot thicker and heavier than ply to have the same
              strength. By the
              | time you've done all this fixing, any savings are quite out the window.
              |
              | I've recently done some boil and cold water soak tests on some Philippine
              that's not
              | officially rated exterior, with encouraging results for intermittently
              used small craft.
              | The sheets look good both sides and I cannot find a single void. If you're
              really on a
              | budget, then I think that's the way to go.
              |
              | On the other hand, real 6mm marine can be had starting at $42.50 / sheet.
              You'd spend a
              | like amount ( or more ) if you feel the need to epoxy it all over. So by
              using crap,
              | you'll only save at most $50 on a two sheet boat.
              |
              | I've looked at that $5 a sheet stuff longingly myself. Notice nobody
              responded in the
              | affirmative yet to your original question.
              |
              | Sorry,
              | Mark
              |

              | Bolger rules!!!
              | - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging dead horses
              | - pls take "personals" off-list, stay on topic, and punctuate
              | - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts, snip all you like
              | - To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
              01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
              | - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

            • sacalman
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
                Hello all,

                I work in the building industry(Although I don't pound nails) in
                California and at this point we make all of our houses out of OSB
                here. There are huge amounts of this stuff lying around our job sites
                and I tend to pick up the larger cutoffs and make things out of them.

                This is tough stuff and can take the weather(well, Southern
                California weather..;)) quite well. I have also picked up pieces that
                were repeatedly run over by backhoes, trucks, Pettibones, ETC. and
                never seen any significant delamination.

                Three things I do know, you cannot get a smooth finish, there is
                significant checking when cutting, and deck screws will pull right
                through it when enough force is applied. I solved the finish issue by
                laminating door skins or Formica to the faces. So far I have built
                several pieces of outside furniture and shelves for my garage out of
                free materials.

                I would suggest that before you build a boat out of it that you put a
                piece in your dishwasher for a month and see if it delaminates.

                Good Luck!

                Scott Calman

                --- In bolger@y..., "Bruce C. Anderson" <bcanderson@c...> wrote:
                > Howdy
                >
                > Has anyone used OSB for building a stitch and tape boat?
                >
                > See Ya
                >
                > Have Fun
                >
                > Bruce
                >
                > http://www.cableone.net/bcanderson/
              • timothyennuinet
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
                  I can believe that OSB is strong.. when backed by a strong material
                  (like the ground, or rebar/steel framing). But there is NO WAY I would
                  build anything except a small boat intended for intermittent use from it.

                  The strength of wood, the real strength, is from the continuous fiber
                  strands that lie throughout. In plywood, this is maximized by laying
                  lam layers at cross grain. IN OSB, the strain is being held by the
                  GLUE, which is passing strain through the wood fiber bits within it.

                  I would bet loads of cash that OSB does not stand up under repeated
                  shock loading, like pounding in a rough seaway or being tossed against
                  a pier a few times during a storm.

                  Before using this for any boat project larger than a messabout, I
                  would seriously consider looking for real test data done under the
                  conditions that boats experience in the water when being driven. In
                  fact, contact this association mentioned about it. They may have data.
                  If they can assure me that the wood wont disintegrate when I bump into
                  that steel yacht in the anchorage, Ill think about it.

                  In the meantime, I'll wait for my next check to buy some BS1088 Okume.
                  Yes, it costs twice or more as other woods, but darn.. it has a long
                  record of success, and loads of test data to back it up. Does that
                  mean I have to wait longer to get in the water? Yep. But with my wife
                  in the boat, no other way I'd do it. :)

                  --Timothy
                • proaconstrictor
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
                    The half inch stuff is an inch or more after a while in the rain. If
                    you sheath it with epoxy, it would probably hold up pretty well, but
                    so would issues of playboy magazine. I think once you throw that
                    kind of money and effort at a project, consider all the problems with
                    load take-offs, swelling, etc, I would spring for something a little
                    better, doesn't generaly have to be 1088, but I can't see any
                    argument for OSB.-

                    -- In bolger@y..., "sacalman" <sacalman@y...> wrote:
                    > Hello all,
                    >
                    > I work in the building industry(Although I don't pound nails) in
                    > California and at this point we make all of our houses out of OSB
                    > here. >

                    snip

                    I would suggest that before you build a boat out of it that you put a
                    > piece in your dishwasher for a month and see if it delaminates.

                    It's true! it never rains in sothern California.
                  • nettech22407
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
                      OSB is to marine plywood as Scrapple is to tenderloin.

                      What OSB and scrapple have in commen is that both are made from floor
                      sweepings.
                    • Nickerson, Bruce
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                        I will be sure never to scramble any OSB with my morning eggs.

                        OSB is to marine plywood as Scrapple is to tenderloin.

                        What OSB and scrapple have in commen is that both are made from floor
                        sweepings.

                        Bolger rules!!!
                        01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                      • steelcb
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 9, 2002
                          Without a doubt, oriented strand board (OSB) made of large flakes or
                          "wafers" of wood thus the nickname "waferboard" is very different
                          from particleboard and is strong and made using exterior glues. I
                          considered building a small boat with it myself because of the low
                          cost (I'm pretty cheap when it comes to paying for materials).

                          In pursuit of this, I called Dynamite Payson's number and his
                          delightful wife, who said he was "..working on somebody's boat," got
                          him to the phone for me.

                          His response to my question "Could I build a boat of OSB?" was
                          simply, "Yes, if you want to sink."

                          Tom Pannell