Re: [bolger] Hour 40

  • teakdeck@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
      Great looking boat. I agree, it's going to float. Tell us, or just me, about
      Gorilla glue.

      Mike Masten

      In a message dated 6/1/02 8:14:39 PM, brucehallman@... writes:

      >I am still plugging away at my lapstrake learning experiment with
      >Spur II [BWAOM]. My strakes are very far from 'correct', but never
      >the less, I think the boat will float. I learned enough about how
      >strakes fall on frames that "next time" I bet I can make proper
      >strakes [perhaps]. The boat is extremely light weight.
      >
      >I think that using 1/8" plywood to "plank" a boat is quicker than
      >using 1/4" redwood strips. Gorilla glue is excellent stuff.

    • brucehallman
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
        --- In bolger@y..., teakdeck@a... wrote:
        > Gorilla glue.

        http://www.gorillaglue.com/

        Polyurethane glue; and it is new to me. Someone here recommended it
        a few weeks back. I am using a 'generic' version of the brand name
        stuff, $7 a pint. I like that it has GREAT adhesion, it is *really*
        sticky, and it develops a good grip after about an hour. I
        especially like that it 'foams' when it cures which causes it to fill
        up large gaps, up to perhaps 3/16".

        It *absolutely* requires moisture to cure. I have been wetting down
        the glue joint liberally with a spray bottle of water before and
        after applying the glue.

        Drips and slobbers are hard to clean up, I found that scraping them
        off with a chisel works best. If you get it on your fingers, scrub
        it off with pumice soap within fifteen minutes or so, or you get
        black stains on your skin that last two days.
      • sacalman
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
          Nice looking boat, Bruce!

          So, will you tell us the name of your Gorilla Glue clone?

          Scott Calman

          --- In bolger@y..., "brucehallman" <brucehallman@y...> wrote:
          > I am still plugging away at my lapstrake learning experiment with
          > Spur II [BWAOM]. My strakes are very far from 'correct', but never
          > the less, I think the boat will float. I learned enough about how
          > strakes fall on frames that "next time" I bet I can make proper
          > strakes [perhaps]. The boat is extremely light weight.
          >
          > I think that using 1/8" plywood to "plank" a boat is quicker than
          > using 1/4" redwood strips. Gorilla glue is excellent stuff.
          >
          > http://www.hallman.org/bolger/spur/hour40/
        • David Ryan
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
            >Polyurethane glue; and it is new to me. Someone here recommended it
            >a few weeks back. I am using a 'generic' version of the brand name
            >stuff, $7 a pint. I like that it has GREAT adhesion, it is *really*

            At $7/pint that's $56/gallon -- more than Raka epoxy. Why not use epoxy?

            YIBB,

            David

            C.E.P.
            415 W.46th Street
            New York, New York 10036
            http://www.crumblingempire.com
            (212) 247-0296
          • dbaldnz
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
              --- In bolger@y..., David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:

              > >Polyurethane glue; and it is new to me. Someone here recommended
              it
              > >a few weeks back. I am using a 'generic' version of the brand name
              > >stuff, $7 a pint. I like that it has GREAT adhesion, it is
              *really*

              > At $7/pint that's $56/gallon -- more than Raka epoxy. Why not use
              epoxy?

              > YIBB,
              >
              > David

              Absolutely David. And vastly inferior to epoxy for boatbuilding,
              except for minor restricted use. I will be sending my experience of
              Gorilla soon.
              DonB
            • Harry W. James
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
                Good point, I use it because it is very convenient. Pick up bottle,
                squirt on joint cap bottle, clamp up. Lots quicker than mixing, also
                less waste, at least for me on small jobs as I always mix to much. Major
                stuff where I recall care I will use epoxy.

                HJ

              • boatbuilding@goldencoast.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002

                  > --- In bolger@y..., David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> >Polyurethane glue; and it is new to me. Someone here
                  >> >recommended

                  I'm using a lot of this glue on the Wyoming. I do limit it to
                  large gluing surfaces such as where the 1 1/2" square stock is
                  glued down to the hull and nailed also, or the 1x4 stock is
                  glued to bulkheads. I did some test and where there is good
                  size gluing surfaces it holds as well as epoxy. The wood will
                  separate before the joint gives. This is on plywood and
                  cedar. I think hardwoods would do better with epoxy.

                  Any places that require waterproof assembly or where I'm going
                  to use fillets and tape, I use epoxy. Without a doubt epoxy is
                  a better glue, but, in large gluing surfaces, the polyurethane
                  will hold very well and is stronger than the wood, which after
                  all is all you need from a glue.

                  I find the polyurethane allows me to build much faster than
                  epoxy. Within a couple hours it's set well enough to remove
                  clamps and continue building. On a big boat like the Wyo,
                  thats a huge advantage.

                  Jeff
                • boatbuilding@goldencoast.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002

                    >>Polyurethane glue; and it is new to me. Someone here
                    >>recommended it a few weeks back. I am using a 'generic'
                    >>version of the brand name stuff, $7 a pint. I like that it
                    >>has GREAT adhesion, it is *really*
                    >
                    > At $7/pint that's $56/gallon -- more than Raka epoxy. Why
                    > not use epoxy?

                    It is not cheaper than epoxy by any means. BUT, it's much
                    easier to work with and it sets up in a couple hours and you
                    can continue building. That's the advantage. Where I use it,
                    I would use more epoxy because of the waste. I never seem to
                    be able to mix up the exact amount needed. With a squeeze
                    bottle you use what you need. It's still more expensive but
                    not terribly so and you pay for convenience.

                    Jeff
                  • rnlocnil
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
                      Yes, but does it have any strength when the parts don't have a tight
                      fit? Epoxy is pretty good stuff for filling small gaps (or large ones,
                      if you can afford it).
                      --- In bolger@y..., <boatbuilding@g...> wrote:

                      > >>Polyurethane glue; snip
                    • brucehallman
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
                        --- In bolger@y..., David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:

                        > At $7/pint that's $56/gallon -- more than Raka epoxy.
                        > Why not use epoxy?

                        Whim and not much else. I think the Gorilla Glue swells up by 3 or 4
                        times, so a pint equals perhaps a quart of thickened epoxy. Also, I
                        feel that dealing with a squeeze bottle, versus mixing up a batch
                        from two parts, is a little easier.

                        The real reason I switched, was that day last weekend when I was
                        working outdoors in the pouring rain, with very wet wood. The glue
                        joint I made with epoxy fell apart; disgusted, I ran to the store and
                        bought the Gorilla Glue and discovered that it sticks even better
                        when things are wet.
                      • nettech22407
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
                          I have used gorilla glue as well as epoxy, and PL premium.

                          My experience indicates that the epoxy is the strongest. The PL is
                          is a little sensative to surface prep, it doesn't seem to like laytex
                          paint. I found that the GG used in loose joints is shock sensative.
                          I found this out the hard way, my 15' skiff slid off of the saw
                          horses I had it on. Where I only used GG to join the frames and
                          there were gaps, the shock of the fall knocked the frames off of the
                          plywood sides. Where I used 3M 5200 there was no problems. I had
                          used 5200 on the port side and GG on the starboard side. The GG
                          joint separated without damaging the underlying wood.

                          From working with all the above glues, I have come to like 3M 5200.
                          The regular version sets in 4 hours and takes up to 4 days to fully
                          cure. The fast cure 5200 sets in 45 minutes and cures in one day.
                          It will bridge gaps of up to 3/8" or 9mm. When it cures it does not
                          foam. When cured, it has the consistancy of the rubber used in
                          skateboard wheels. On bare wood, removing it requires taking away
                          some of the underlying wood. The downside to this glue, is you
                          should clean up right away, it is a bear to sand off drips.

                          >snip
                          >--- In bolger@y..., "brucehallman" <brucehallman@y...> wrote:
                          > --- In bolger@y..., teakdeck@a... wrote:
                          > > Gorilla glue.
                          >
                          > http://www.gorillaglue.com/
                          >
                          > Polyurethane glue; and it is new to me. Someone here recommended
                          it
                          > a few weeks back. I am using a 'generic' version of the brand name
                          > stuff, $7 a pint. I like that it has GREAT adhesion, it is
                          *really*
                          > snip
                        • dbaldnz
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
                            Sorry Bruce, but I cannot understand your logic at all on this one.
                            All epoxy labels say the wood must be dry.
                            Gorilla labels say the joint should be damp.
                            What would you expect?
                            DonB

                            --- In bolger@y..., "brucehallman" <brucehallman@y...> wrote:
                            > --- In bolger@y..., David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:
                            >
                            > The real reason I switched, was that day last weekend when I was
                            > working outdoors in the pouring rain, with very wet wood. The glue
                            > joint I made with epoxy fell apart; disgusted, I ran to the store
                            and
                            > bought the Gorilla Glue and discovered that it sticks even better
                            > when things are wet.
                          • donm172001
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 6, 2002
                              --- In bolger@y..., "brucehallman" <brucehallman@y...> wrote:
                              > I am still plugging away at my lapstrake learning experiment with
                              > Spur II [BWAOM]. My strakes are very far from 'correct', but never
                              > the less, I think the boat will float. I learned enough about how
                              > strakes fall on frames that "next time" I bet I can make proper
                              > strakes [perhaps]. The boat is extremely light weight.
                              >
                              > I think that using 1/8" plywood to "plank" a boat is quicker than
                              > using 1/4" redwood strips. Gorilla glue is excellent stuff.
                              >
                              > http://www.hallman.org/bolger/spur/hour40/

                              A great resource for learning how to lay out and spile strakes is
                              "The Clinker Plywood Boatbuilding Manual" by Iain Oughtred. It also
                              has a wealth of information on building lapstrake plywood boats. It
                              is available at Amazon and the WoodenBoat Store.