OSB

  • Bruce C. Anderson
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
      Howdy

      Has anyone used OSB for building a stitch and tape boat?

      See Ya

      Have Fun

      Bruce

      http://www.cableone.net/bcanderson/
    • Richard Spelling
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
        is the glue waterproof?

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002

          Richard Spelling wrote:

          > is the glue waterproof?

          Here's the more than everything you want to know about it site
          http://www.sba-osb.com/sba/Index.html

          That will be heavy and hard to finish smooth, methinks.
          Mark
        • Mark Albanese
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
            > http://www.sba-osb.com/sba/Index.html

            Looking a little further, it's less clear to me if this is the rough, "Chipboard" or the
            smooth faced, "Fiberboard."

            Which did you have n mind, Bruce?

            Mark
          • Bruce C. Anderson
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
              Howdy

                >That will be heavy and hard to finish smooth, methinks.

                I thought it would be heavy, but, it wouldn't have any voids. If you
                sheathed the outside in fiberglass would it be that hard to finish?? the
                inside might be a different matter. A thin coat of bondo comes to mind, but
                that would only increase the weight. :(

                > Looking a little further, it's less clear to me if this is the rough,
                "Chipboard" or the
                > smooth faced, "Fiberboard."

                The "Chipboard" was what I had in mind. What is "fiberboard"? is it a
                smooth faced type of OSB?

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
                  > The "Chipboard" was what I had in mind. What is "fiberboard"? is it a
                  > smooth faced type of OSB?

                  Hiya, Bruce.

                  Yes, sorta. Both are wood detritus fixed in glue. Particleboard is the other name. They
                  sell it around here for underlayment, and I think it is the same as used for inexpensive
                  furniture, sometimes plain, or with a wood grained laminate. It's pretty easily flaked or shattered.

                  > I thought it would be heavy, but, it wouldn't have any voids. If you
                  > sheathed the outside in fiberglass would it be that hard to finish?? the
                  > inside might be a different matter. A thin coat of bondo comes to mind, but
                  > that would only increase the weight. :(

                  Both have to be a lot thicker and heavier than ply to have the same strength. By the
                  time you've done all this fixing, any savings are quite out the window.

                  I've recently done some boil and cold water soak tests on some Philippine that's not
                  officially rated exterior, with encouraging results for intermittently used small craft.
                  The sheets look good both sides and I cannot find a single void. If you're really on a
                  budget, then I think that's the way to go.

                  On the other hand, real 6mm marine can be had starting at $42.50 / sheet. You'd spend a
                  like amount ( or more ) if you feel the need to epoxy it all over. So by using crap,
                  you'll only save at most $50 on a two sheet boat.

                  I've looked at that $5 a sheet stuff longingly myself. Notice nobody responded in the
                  affirmative yet to your original question.

                  Sorry,
                  Mark
                • Richard Spelling
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
                    Well, "particle board", the smooth glued up sawdust variety, is NOT
                    waterproof, as evidenced by the 3/4" board on my porch now swelled to 1 1/8"
                    and slowly turning back to sawdust in the rain.

                    "waferboard", boards made up from largish chips, may be relatively
                    waterproof. The forms for the CLC are laying on the ground in the rain so I
                    don't have to walk in the mud. They seem to be holding up OK.

                    | > The "Chipboard" was what I had in mind. What is "fiberboard"? is it a
                    | > smooth faced type of OSB?
                    |
                    | Hiya, Bruce.
                    |
                    | Yes, sorta. Both are wood detritus fixed in glue. Particleboard is the
                    other name. They
                    | sell it around here for underlayment, and I think it is the same as used
                    for inexpensive
                    | furniture, sometimes plain, or with a wood grained laminate. It's pretty
                    easily flaked or shattered.

                    | > I thought it would be heavy, but, it wouldn't have any voids. If you
                    | > sheathed the outside in fiberglass would it be that hard to finish??
                    the
                    | > inside might be a different matter. A thin coat of bondo comes to mind,
                    but
                    | > that would only increase the weight. :(
                    |
                    | Both have to be a lot thicker and heavier than ply to have the same
                    strength. By the
                    | time you've done all this fixing, any savings are quite out the window.
                    |
                    | I've recently done some boil and cold water soak tests on some Philippine
                    that's not
                    | officially rated exterior, with encouraging results for intermittently
                    used small craft.
                    | The sheets look good both sides and I cannot find a single void. If you're
                    really on a
                    | budget, then I think that's the way to go.
                    |
                    | On the other hand, real 6mm marine can be had starting at $42.50 / sheet.
                    You'd spend a
                    | like amount ( or more ) if you feel the need to epoxy it all over. So by
                    using crap,
                    | you'll only save at most $50 on a two sheet boat.
                    |
                    | I've looked at that $5 a sheet stuff longingly myself. Notice nobody
                    responded in the
                    | affirmative yet to your original question.
                    |
                    | Sorry,
                    | Mark
                    |

                    | Bolger rules!!!
                    | - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging dead horses
                    | - pls take "personals" off-list, stay on topic, and punctuate
                    | - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts, snip all you like
                    | - To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
                    01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                    | - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  • sacalman
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
                      Hello all,

                      I work in the building industry(Although I don't pound nails) in
                      California and at this point we make all of our houses out of OSB
                      here. There are huge amounts of this stuff lying around our job sites
                      and I tend to pick up the larger cutoffs and make things out of them.

                      This is tough stuff and can take the weather(well, Southern
                      California weather..;)) quite well. I have also picked up pieces that
                      were repeatedly run over by backhoes, trucks, Pettibones, ETC. and
                      never seen any significant delamination.

                      Three things I do know, you cannot get a smooth finish, there is
                      significant checking when cutting, and deck screws will pull right
                      through it when enough force is applied. I solved the finish issue by
                      laminating door skins or Formica to the faces. So far I have built
                      several pieces of outside furniture and shelves for my garage out of
                      free materials.

                      I would suggest that before you build a boat out of it that you put a
                      piece in your dishwasher for a month and see if it delaminates.

                      Good Luck!

                      Scott Calman

                      --- In bolger@y..., "Bruce C. Anderson" <bcanderson@c...> wrote:
                      > Howdy
                      >
                      > Has anyone used OSB for building a stitch and tape boat?
                      >
                      > See Ya
                      >
                      > Have Fun
                      >
                      > Bruce
                      >
                      > http://www.cableone.net/bcanderson/
                    • timothyennuinet
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
                        I can believe that OSB is strong.. when backed by a strong material
                        (like the ground, or rebar/steel framing). But there is NO WAY I would
                        build anything except a small boat intended for intermittent use from it.

                        The strength of wood, the real strength, is from the continuous fiber
                        strands that lie throughout. In plywood, this is maximized by laying
                        lam layers at cross grain. IN OSB, the strain is being held by the
                        GLUE, which is passing strain through the wood fiber bits within it.

                        I would bet loads of cash that OSB does not stand up under repeated
                        shock loading, like pounding in a rough seaway or being tossed against
                        a pier a few times during a storm.

                        Before using this for any boat project larger than a messabout, I
                        would seriously consider looking for real test data done under the
                        conditions that boats experience in the water when being driven. In
                        fact, contact this association mentioned about it. They may have data.
                        If they can assure me that the wood wont disintegrate when I bump into
                        that steel yacht in the anchorage, Ill think about it.

                        In the meantime, I'll wait for my next check to buy some BS1088 Okume.
                        Yes, it costs twice or more as other woods, but darn.. it has a long
                        record of success, and loads of test data to back it up. Does that
                        mean I have to wait longer to get in the water? Yep. But with my wife
                        in the boat, no other way I'd do it. :)

                        --Timothy
                      • proaconstrictor
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
                          The half inch stuff is an inch or more after a while in the rain. If
                          you sheath it with epoxy, it would probably hold up pretty well, but
                          so would issues of playboy magazine. I think once you throw that
                          kind of money and effort at a project, consider all the problems with
                          load take-offs, swelling, etc, I would spring for something a little
                          better, doesn't generaly have to be 1088, but I can't see any
                          argument for OSB.-

                          -- In bolger@y..., "sacalman" <sacalman@y...> wrote:
                          > Hello all,
                          >
                          > I work in the building industry(Although I don't pound nails) in
                          > California and at this point we make all of our houses out of OSB
                          > here. >

                          snip

                          I would suggest that before you build a boat out of it that you put a
                          > piece in your dishwasher for a month and see if it delaminates.

                          It's true! it never rains in sothern California.
                        • nettech22407
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
                            OSB is to marine plywood as Scrapple is to tenderloin.

                            What OSB and scrapple have in commen is that both are made from floor
                            sweepings.
                          • Nickerson, Bruce
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                              I will be sure never to scramble any OSB with my morning eggs.

                              OSB is to marine plywood as Scrapple is to tenderloin.

                              What OSB and scrapple have in commen is that both are made from floor
                              sweepings.

                              Bolger rules!!!
                              01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                            • steelcb
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 9, 2002
                                Without a doubt, oriented strand board (OSB) made of large flakes or
                                "wafers" of wood thus the nickname "waferboard" is very different
                                from particleboard and is strong and made using exterior glues. I
                                considered building a small boat with it myself because of the low
                                cost (I'm pretty cheap when it comes to paying for materials).

                                In pursuit of this, I called Dynamite Payson's number and his
                                delightful wife, who said he was "..working on somebody's boat," got
                                him to the phone for me.

                                His response to my question "Could I build a boat of OSB?" was
                                simply, "Yes, if you want to sink."

                                Tom Pannell