Gullapalooza (cont.)

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2002
      FBBB --

      Just as soon as we got Sue and her boat on the road Monday, I had to
      begin preparing for a 3-day shoot in the city. Today was the first
      chance I've had to return to my boat or post on the success (or
      failure) of Gullapalooza.

      Sue's side-panel carpentry was first rate and the resulting topsides
      fit reasonably well onto our jig. The biggest problem we had was not
      being able to achieve the slight curvature to the topsides as show in
      the plans. A big oak stem, properly shaped, probably would have made
      this happen. But having neither the stock nor the tooling to produce
      such a thing, we opted for taped and filleted stem.

      On Sue's boat we pre-installed the frames, but on mine we only
      pre-installed the center frame. Having done it both ways, I'd leave
      the for and aft frames till after the boat was off the jig. But
      putting the center frame in and fastening the topsides and bottom on
      it was a big help when aligning the boat.

      Sue wired up both our bows. I filletted hers with the wire still in
      place, but on mine I simply used maple flour/glass thickened epoxy to
      putty between the wires on the outside and once that cured it was
      more than enough to hold the stem together without wires. My bottom
      panel was also glued in place with no fasteners --sort of tack and
      tape without the tacking.

      Sue's boat was removed from the jig, and then the inside was heavily
      gobbed with fillets and a double layer of glass tape. Our concern was
      1) Making sure it was sturdy enough to survive the 65 mph ride home
      2) Making sure no drips of epoxy goobered up Sue's new (but very
      ugly) truck. The boat rode right side up on her roof racks and as far
      as I know both objectives were achieved.

      Once my boat had cured enough to be faired up, I removed the wires
      (bow) and weights (bottom) filled the few screw holes and other ding
      and then sanded of the gobs and blobs. That done I laid on 5 oz.
      satin weave glass from above the port chine to the starboard shear
      and visa versa. The result is 10 oz. of glass on the chine and
      bottom, and 20 oz. on the stem and stern. Additionally, Raka Larry
      told me the satin weave cloth is significantly stronger than plain
      weave of the same weight. I may simply put a small fillet on the
      inside of the chine for neatness's sake and a slightly deeper on in
      the stem and call it good. If the joint fails it likely won't be a
      catastrophic failure and I can always add more reenforcement if the
      chine or stem seem to need it.

      What remain on my boat is the seats and gunwales, as well as
      correcting the flaws in my glass job and painting. All in all I'm
      very happy with the boat. Not really any harder than building the
      teal (especially since Sue plotted and cut the side panels!) and our
      GRP chine and stem solution seems like it will work.

      As soon as I have a minute, I'll post photos at:

      http://www.crumblingempire.com/gullapolooza

      YIBB,

      David

      C.E.P.
      415 W.46th Street
      New York, New York 10036
      http://www.crumblingempire.com
      (212) 247-0296
    • futabachan
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 2, 2002
        > Sue's side-panel carpentry was first rate and the resulting topsides
        > fit reasonably well onto our jig.

        "First-rate" is probably an exaggeration, given the spots where we
        had to do some planing because my hand slipped with the Skilsaw,
        but it got the job done.

        > On Sue's boat we pre-installed the frames, but on mine we only
        > pre-installed the center frame. Having done it both ways, I'd leave
        > the for and aft frames till after the boat was off the jig.

        If I were doing it over, I'd install the center frame and the aft
        one (which fits with no problem), but leave out #2, which is dicey
        to the point that neither hull ended up in contact with frames 1
        or 2.

        Actually, if I were doing it over, and were doing it by myself
        rather than in company, I'd be tempted to eliminate the jig
        entirely, and do an Instant Boat-style construction using the
        center frame with its ends running wild as my "station 4", a
        tripod made of the transom, the aft frame, and a stick hanging
        down from the face of the aft frame as my "station 6", and either
        wire the bow shut or take David's suggestion of a Diablo-style
        minimal plywood stem for alignment up forward. Put all of
        this on a longitudinal or two for alignment, and you've just
        about got as much of the frame as we actually used for David's
        boat, for much less effort....

        > Sue wired up both our bows.

        We couldn't find any bare 14 awg copper wire (!), so we used 18 awg
        steel picture wire instead, and spaced the wires closer together.
        That worked very well -- the 18 gauge wire is much easier to work
        with, and I was able to wire the bows up much more precisely. It
        doesn't have the clamping action that twisting 14 gauge gives
        you, so I wouldn't use it on a joint where the plywood is being
        tortured, but it was wonderful stuff for the very fair curves
        that we encountered on the Gulls.

        And as David alluded to, we were able to fasten our bottoms on
        by simply laying them over top of the jig, glopping in some
        epoxy, and weighting it down with bricks. Tack and tape without
        either the tape or even the tacks....

        > The boat rode right side up on her roof racks and as far
        > as I know both objectives were achieved.

        I was foolish enough to have forgotten to bring line with me to
        tie the boat to the roof rack, so David was gracious enough to
        supply some twine to supplement the bungee cords that I did
        remember. I had a minor emergency driving through the Hamptons
        when the twine on the port side of the boat (and starboard side
        of the car, since we put it on facing backwards) chafed through
        due to careless bungee cord placement, but I was able to re-tie
        everything snugly enough to get the boat home at 60 mph. The
        boat sat very securely at 60 mph, and danced around like crazy
        at 65, so I stayed at 60 or less for the whole trip, which meant
        that I had to pull over for a brief nap at one point to keep
        from falling asleep.

        > If the joint fails it likely won't be a
        > catastrophic failure and I can always add more reenforcement if
        > the chine or stem seem to need it.

        My instinct was to make big thick goopy fillets, and to tape
        them over with 10 ounces of satin-weave cloth. The experience
        of doing that made me a big believer in wood flour, which I'd
        strongly consider using in place of cabosil on future projects.
        It seems to work just as well, and isn't nearly so hazardous.

        My boat is still in essentially the same state that it left
        Montauk, except for the epoxy having cured all the way out. We
        intentionally left the transom and side frames wild in order to
        have something to attach the ropes to when putting the boat on
        top of the Aztek right side up, but they'll also be nice as
        built-in sawhorses when I turn the boat over to glass it. I
        need to mow down and fair the chines, stem, and transom joints,
        then I can glass the bottom one my Raka order shows up.

        I'm thinking of making the boat a test case for how well Xynole
        works, as there's a 69" width available that looks like it'd just
        about cover the whole bottom. I'd probably put another layer of
        something else on the bottom, drooping over the chines, just for
        reinforcement and abrasion resistance.

        --
        Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
      • announcer97624
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 2, 2002
          Susan,

          You wrote,
          > > The boat rode right side up on her roof racks and as far
          > > as I know both objectives were achieved.
          >
          > I was foolish enough to have forgotten to bring line with me to
          > tie the boat to the roof rack, so David was gracious enough to
          > supply some twine to supplement the bungee cords that I did
          > remember. I had a minor emergency driving through the Hamptons
          > when the twine on the port side of the boat (and starboard side
          > of the car, since we put it on facing backwards) chafed through
          > due to careless bungee cord placement, but I was able to re-tie
          > everything snugly enough to get the boat home at 60 mph. The
          > boat sat very securely at 60 mph, and danced around like crazy
          > at 65, so I stayed at 60 or less for the whole trip, which meant
          > that I had to pull over for a brief nap at one point to keep
          > from falling asleep.

          You did not comment on David's remark, "2) Making sure no drips of
          epoxy goobered up Sue's new (but very
          ugly) truck".

          I loved the photo's and commentary but wondered why David would make
          such a statement about your new boat transport?

          John,
          from Oregon
        • David Ryan
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 2, 2002
            FBBB --

            A seven inch grinder and a 36 grit disk makes short work of drip,
            droops, gops and goobers. It can also make short work of your glass
            job or even the whole boat, so it is with considerable relief that I
            can report that I've cleaned up my glass job and I'm ready to apply a
            skim coat of filling/fairing compound!

            The "satin-weave" cloth has considerably less relief to its weave at
            this point and the filling/fairing looks like it will be relatively
            easy. I'm going to get out my drywall tools and see if they help.

            I'll post a photo of the hull glassed and ground presently at:

            http://www.crumblingempire.com/gullapalooza/glassednground.jpg

            YIBB,

            David

            C.E.P.
            415 W.46th Street
            New York, New York 10036
            http://www.crumblingempire.com
            (212) 247-0296
          • Nickerson, Bruce
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
              I had been tempted to make a similar comment about the Aztec. The first
              Aztec that caught my eye and impressed me with its ugliness was a bright
              red. But then, I like 3 wheeled Morgans, "perpindicular period" MGs,
              British Seagull Outboard motors, and other bizarre, but attractive, British
              machinery. Who am I to cast stones at Ugly American iron?

              > > The boat rode right side up on her roof racks and as far
              > > as I know both objectives were achieved.
              >
              > I was foolish enough to have forgotten to bring line with me to
              > tie the boat to the roof rack, so David was gracious enough to
              > supply some twine to supplement the bungee cords that I did
              > remember. I had a minor emergency driving through the Hamptons
              > when the twine on the port side of the boat (and starboard side
              > of the car, since we put it on facing backwards) chafed through
              > due to careless bungee cord placement, but I was able to re-tie
              > everything snugly enough to get the boat home at 60 mph. The
              > boat sat very securely at 60 mph, and danced around like crazy
              > at 65, so I stayed at 60 or less for the whole trip, which meant
              > that I had to pull over for a brief nap at one point to keep
              > from falling asleep.

              You did not comment on David's remark, "2) Making sure no drips of
              epoxy goobered up Sue's new (but very
              ugly) truck".

              I loved the photo's and commentary but wondered why David would make
              such a statement about your new boat transport?

              John,
              from Oregon

              Bolger rules!!!
              01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • announcer97624
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
                Thank You Bruce,

                I thought the Aztec was an SUV? My understanding of the word truck
                is something that has an open bed and the room to buckle your seat
                belt without bonking heads with the passenger. As for all things
                British you obviously have not felt the sting of the curse of Lucas
                electric's.

                I myself am waiting for my Brick plans to arrive(first bolger design
                I'll build)but I will not try building "ITH". I can say without any
                problem that a Gloucester Gull could make any vehicle look
                outstanding. Just because my first choice in an SUV would not be an
                Aztec does not mean I would call it ugly. Beauty is always in the eye
                of the beholder but comments about the choice of a woman's clothes or
                cars are seldom forgotten and forgiven.

                Those of us in Oregon(I speak for myself mainly)are not blessed with
                wives that allow boatbuilding inside of our house. I am extremely
                jealous of all you east-coasters that have such understanding female
                companions. It must be something in the water? And what of all that
                testing? I am no student of anthropology but there seem to be
                distinct differences between east and west coast family life. I am so
                glad that my hobby is boat building and not anthropology but
                sometimes late at night my mind will question what I have read.

                --- In bolger@y..., "Nickerson, Bruce " <nickerb@p...> wrote:
                > I had been tempted to make a similar comment about the Aztec. The
                first
                > Aztec that caught my eye and impressed me with its ugliness was a
                bright
                > red. But then, I like 3 wheeled Morgans, "perpindicular period"
                MGs,
                > British Seagull Outboard motors, and other bizarre, but attractive,
                British
                > machinery. Who am I to cast stones at Ugly American iron?

              • Harry W. James
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
                  I had a 1959 TR3 that had an on off switch on the dash made by Lucas
                  that must of had 15 moving parts in it. Decades later, I still marvel.

                  Bolger's designs tend to ruthlessly simplify on the other hand, and you
                  were wondering how I was going to get back OT.

                  HJ

                  As for all things British you obviously have not felt the sting of the
                  curse of Lucas
                  >electric's.
                • rnlocnil
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
                    ITH = in the house? Why so cryptic?

                    The Brick is a great little boat (or maybe a great big boat that
                    happens to be short) with amazing capacity. At least it's great for
                    sailing. Pretty lousy to row, tho it can be done, and I'm sure you
                    could ros 4 people and gear out to a boat faster than with several
                    trips in a Nymph or something.
                    --- In bolger@y..., "announcer97624" <cupp@k...> wrote:
                    snip

                    > I myself am waiting for my Brick plans to arrive(first bolger
                    design
                    > I'll build)but I will not try building "ITH". snip
                  • sacalman
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
                      I had a '63 BSA 650 and it was touched by the "Prince of Darkness"
                      too. I gave it to my brother and he is on his 3rd year of
                      restoration. Can't seem to find a generator armature...

                      Scott calman

                      --- In bolger@y..., "lulalake_1999" <lulalake_1999@y...> wrote:
                      > Oh yes.
                      >
                      > I've had a few English cars in my life and have known the touch of
                      > Lucas more than once.
                      >
                      > It's good to remember that the name "Lucas" is a form of "Lucifer"

                    • lulalake_1999
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 3, 2002
                        And speaking of places to find British bike parts

                        http://www.britishonly.com/webcatalog/new.txt

                        http://www.britishbikeconnection.com/parts.htm

                        http://xandersbritbikes.tripod.com/xandersbritbikes/id7.html

                        Off topic, I know but fun to find rare stuff.

                        I stuck mainly to Japanese bikes or Ariel square 4's

                        till I discovered sailboats

                        --- In bolger@y..., "sacalman" <sacalman@y...> wrote:
                        > I had a '63 BSA 650 and it was touched by the "Prince of Darkness"
                        > too. I gave it to my brother and he is on his 3rd year of
                        > restoration. Can't seem to find a generator armature...
                        >
                        > Scott calman
                        >
                        > --- In bolger@y..., "lulalake_1999" <lulalake_1999@y...> wrote:
                        > > Oh yes.
                        > >
                        > > I've had a few English cars in my life and have known the touch
                        of
                        > > Lucas more than once.
                        > >
                        > > It's good to remember that the name "Lucas" is a form
                        of "Lucifer"

                      • Nickerson, Bruce
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 4, 2002
                          Lucas Lord of Darkness never bothered me, and I even mastered SU carbs. But
                          I have heard a rumor that Jaguar never built its own radios because they did
                          not want oil leaks in passenger compartment.

                          The Seagull, however, is appealing because of its simplicity. REminds me of
                          the model airplane engines I used to play with as a kid.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 4, 2002
                            What's an "ITH".snip?

                            The Brick is a great little boat (or maybe a great big boat that
                            happens to be short) with amazing capacity. At least it's great for
                            sailing. Pretty lousy to row, tho it can be done, and I'm sure you
                            could ros 4 people and gear out to a boat faster than with several
                            trips in a Nymph or something.
                            --- In bolger@y..., "announcer97624" <cupp@k...> wrote:
                            snip

                            > I myself am waiting for my Brick plans to arrive(first bolger
                            design
                            > I'll build)but I will not try building "ITH". snip

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.2097561.3556641.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=17050657
                            91:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

                            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=213858.2097561.3556641.1829184/D=egroupmai
                            l/S=1705065791:HM/A=763352/rand=535706816>

                            Bolger rules!!!
                            01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                          • ghartc
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 4, 2002
                              Boatbuilding! Boatbuilding! Boatbuilding!

                              Unless you're trailering boats with your car,
                              this is a little off topic ;-}

                              Thanks, Moderator

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 4, 2002
                                > I thought the Aztec was an SUV?

                                It is, kind of. Pontiac calls it a "Sport Recreation Vehicle" --
                                it's sort of halfway between a SUV and a minivan. I really don't
                                understand why people think it's so ugly -- especially people who
                                enjoy Bolger boats. :-) Oh well, de gustibus, I guess....

                                > My understanding of the word truck
                                > is something that has an open bed and the room to buckle your
                                > seat belt without bonking heads with the passenger.

                                Well, my Suburban (ObBoatbuilding: which I bought to tow my
                                Insolent 60 around) certainly qualifies as a "truck", and it's
                                fully enclosed. There's certainly room in both vehicles to
                                buckle your seatbelt without bonking heads with the passenger (?),
                                even while hauling a stack of 4x8 plywood sheets, which both can
                                do.

                                --
                                Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
                              • sacalman
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 4, 2002
                                  I do hearby solemnly promise to not talk about motorcycles, cars ETC.

                                  I do rewserve the right to talk about my Seagull. ( I love that
                                  simple beast)...

                                  Scott Calman

                                  --- In bolger@y..., "ghartc" <gcarlson@c...> wrote:
                                  > Boatbuilding! Boatbuilding! Boatbuilding!
                                  >
                                  > Unless you're trailering boats with your car,
                                  > this is a little off topic ;-}
                                  >
                                  > Thanks, Moderator
                                  >
                                  > --- In bolger@y..., "sacalman" <sacalman@y...> wrote:
                                  > > I had a '63 BSA 650 and it was touched by the "Prince of
                                  Darkness"
                                  > > too. I gave it to my brother and he is on his 3rd year of
                                  > > restoration. Can't seem to find a generator armature...
                                  > >
                                  > > Scott calman
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In bolger@y..., "lulalake_1999" <lulalake_1999@y...> wrote:
                                  > > > Oh yes.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I've had a few English cars in my life and have known the touch
                                  > of
                                  > > > Lucas more than once.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > It's good to remember that the name "Lucas" is a form
                                  of "Lucifer"

                                • Clyde S. Wisner
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
                                    I have fitted a 6" backer and sanding disk to my 4" grinder but the torgue makes it hard to hold with
                                    one hand. It does eat most anything though. Clyde