Re: [bolger] Re: mast options for Ruben's Nymph

  • thomas dalzell
    Message 1 of 40 , Jun 1, 2002
      Agreed, sort of. There are certain boats that diverge
      markedly, like multihulls, since they don't plane at
      "normal" speeds. But my assumption (I wish I knew) is
      that such performance differences are on a continueum,
      so really the main meaningful use is when comparing
      quite similar types.

      I am not quite sure what the hills and bumps are for.

      <tt>
      > The limitation on hull speed in the displacement
      mode<BR>
      > is 1.4 x the square root of the waterline
      length.  <BR>
      <BR>
      The standard definition of "hull speed" as
      given here was made up to <BR>
      apply to fairly heavy boats of normal length/beam
      dimensions. The <BR>
      hull speed concept applies less strictly for very
      light boats and for <BR>
      very slender boats (as sculls and multihulls). <BR>
      <BR>
      A sailboat of the Herreshoff era with a
      Displacement/Length ratio of <BR>
      about 400 would hit a wall at hull speed. A modern
      racing sailboat <BR>
      hits a hill. A catamaran proabably hits a bump.<BR>
      <BR>
      Peter<BR>
      <BR>
      Notes: a) since people argue about most anything, they
      argue about <BR>
      the exact value of the parameter given here as 1.4, b)
      <BR>
      Displacement/Length ratio is not a simple division,
      but involves some <BR>
      unit-changing conversion which I do not remember off
      the top of my <BR>
      head. See Ted Brewer's web site.<BR>
      <BR>
      </tt>

      <tt>
      Bolger rules!!!<BR>
      - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging
      dead horses<BR>
      - pls take "personals" off-list, stay on
      topic, and punctuate<BR>
      - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts,
      snip all you like<BR>
      - To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
      Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349<BR>
      - Unsubscribe:

      <tt>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
      href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms
      of Service</a>.</tt>

    • wmrpage@aol.com
      Message 40 of 40 , Jun 4, 2002
        lincolnr@... writes:

        > Sometimes I think about
        > building my own pedal powered boat since I can't do sliding seat stuff
        > anymore. Maybe even a super skinny flatty with vertical sides, tho of
        > course the increased wetted area would hurt some.

        Have you seen Bolger's design # 441? It's in Payson's "Build The New Instant
        Boats". Payson refers to is as "Paddlin' Madeline". It's a slender "box",
        19' 6" LOA (Length Over All), perhaps 18' or so LWL (?Length Water Line?;
        ?Load Waterline Length?) (I'm beginning to get the point about "AIA" (or is
        it AAI?) !!), with pedal operated side paddle wheels. It is obviously much
        more hydrodynamically efficient than the production pedal powered commercial
        paddle boats I've seen, not to mention more aesthetically pleasing. As an
        example of Bolger's ingenuity I find it entertaining and instructive, but I
        can't say that I would ever contemplate ever building one.

        Payson does claim that he and the fellow who commissioned the design and
        construction were able to get it "up to a steady seven knots with no
        strain". (The boat has side-by-seating for two pedalers.) "Dynamite"
        wouldn't exaggerate, would he? I haven't tried to run the numbers on
        "Paddlin' Madeline" - for one thing, the photo of it in operation shows a bag
        containing an indeterminate weight of rocks hanging from outside the gunnel
        to keep the boat on an even keel given the disparity of the weight between
        Payson and the owner, for another, he doesn't list their weights, and for a
        third, Gerr's "Propeller Handbook" doesn't include any formulae for paddle
        wheels!

        Ciao for Niao,
        Bill in MN
        (very strong ammonia smell emanating from the kitchen from some very old WEST
        epoxy! Hope the stuff cures?)