Re: [bolger] Re: mast options for Ruben's Nymph

  • Larry Barker
    Message 1 of 40 , May 31, 2002
      Pete,
      Not an exact hit on your questions but ....
      I have a sail rig on my regular-sized Nymph and it sails just fine. It is
      tippy when you're getting in but not unmanagably so -- I can climb over the
      side in 2+ feet of water (rudder doesn't pivot) without swamping. I've
      sailed it in a fair amount (15-20 mph w/ white caps) of wind and it's really
      very stable. The fact that I weigh over 200 lbs has a lot to do with it and
      I think that a kid alone would have to treat it with more respect. I "hike
      out" by leaning 6" to windward. Add my 150 lb son to me and the sucker is
      really stable. The main problem I have with it is that, while the
      longitudinal (sp?) seat works fine for rowing, it doesn't leave much room
      for feet when sailing. I've been tempted to try the alternative
      gap-in-the-middle seat that comes with the plans but haven't gotten around
      to it yet.
      A couple of pictures at
      http://home.internetcds.com/~lgbarker/nymph/nymph.html
      Larry

      Message 40 of 40 , Jun 4, 2002
        lincolnr@... writes:

        > Sometimes I think about
        > building my own pedal powered boat since I can't do sliding seat stuff
        > anymore. Maybe even a super skinny flatty with vertical sides, tho of
        > course the increased wetted area would hurt some.

        Have you seen Bolger's design # 441? It's in Payson's "Build The New Instant
        Boats". Payson refers to is as "Paddlin' Madeline". It's a slender "box",
        19' 6" LOA (Length Over All), perhaps 18' or so LWL (?Length Water Line?;
        ?Load Waterline Length?) (I'm beginning to get the point about "AIA" (or is
        it AAI?) !!), with pedal operated side paddle wheels. It is obviously much
        more hydrodynamically efficient than the production pedal powered commercial
        paddle boats I've seen, not to mention more aesthetically pleasing. As an
        example of Bolger's ingenuity I find it entertaining and instructive, but I
        can't say that I would ever contemplate ever building one.

        Payson does claim that he and the fellow who commissioned the design and
        construction were able to get it "up to a steady seven knots with no
        strain". (The boat has side-by-seating for two pedalers.) "Dynamite"
        wouldn't exaggerate, would he? I haven't tried to run the numbers on
        "Paddlin' Madeline" - for one thing, the photo of it in operation shows a bag
        containing an indeterminate weight of rocks hanging from outside the gunnel
        to keep the boat on an even keel given the disparity of the weight between
        Payson and the owner, for another, he doesn't list their weights, and for a
        third, Gerr's "Propeller Handbook" doesn't include any formulae for paddle
        wheels!

        Ciao for Niao,
        Bill in MN
        (very strong ammonia smell emanating from the kitchen from some very old WEST
        epoxy! Hope the stuff cures?)