RE: [bolger] Re: mast options for Ruben's Nymph

  • Nickerson, Bruce
    Message 1 of 40 , May 30 11:09 AM
      Speak to me about motoring your Punt.

      I have a British Seagull pushing my Punt. While the Seagull is not a high
      speed motor, it seems to move the Punt quite slowly. Perhaps it has
      something to do with the depth of the prop below water level? Might a
      bolt-on bracket which elevates the motor higher help?

      Sounds like your MinKota was pushing quite a load with a fully loaded Punt.
      Did you trim it level?

      Some of my earlier queries about using the Seagull on the Elegant Punt and
      June Bug generated some negative comments. Does the aft rocker on these two
      boats interfere much with outboard use?

      Message 40 of 40 , Jun 4, 2002
        lincolnr@... writes:

        > Sometimes I think about
        > building my own pedal powered boat since I can't do sliding seat stuff
        > anymore. Maybe even a super skinny flatty with vertical sides, tho of
        > course the increased wetted area would hurt some.

        Have you seen Bolger's design # 441? It's in Payson's "Build The New Instant
        Boats". Payson refers to is as "Paddlin' Madeline". It's a slender "box",
        19' 6" LOA (Length Over All), perhaps 18' or so LWL (?Length Water Line?;
        ?Load Waterline Length?) (I'm beginning to get the point about "AIA" (or is
        it AAI?) !!), with pedal operated side paddle wheels. It is obviously much
        more hydrodynamically efficient than the production pedal powered commercial
        paddle boats I've seen, not to mention more aesthetically pleasing. As an
        example of Bolger's ingenuity I find it entertaining and instructive, but I
        can't say that I would ever contemplate ever building one.

        Payson does claim that he and the fellow who commissioned the design and
        construction were able to get it "up to a steady seven knots with no
        strain". (The boat has side-by-seating for two pedalers.) "Dynamite"
        wouldn't exaggerate, would he? I haven't tried to run the numbers on
        "Paddlin' Madeline" - for one thing, the photo of it in operation shows a bag
        containing an indeterminate weight of rocks hanging from outside the gunnel
        to keep the boat on an even keel given the disparity of the weight between
        Payson and the owner, for another, he doesn't list their weights, and for a
        third, Gerr's "Propeller Handbook" doesn't include any formulae for paddle
        wheels!

        Ciao for Niao,
        Bill in MN
        (very strong ammonia smell emanating from the kitchen from some very old WEST
        epoxy! Hope the stuff cures?)