Re: [bolger] Re: Windsprint Trimaran On the Water

  • thomas dalzell
    Message 1 of 13 , May 30, 2002
      I hear you. The USCG on the other hand did accept
      certification of his charter cats using non-marine ply
      in a cylinder mold approach. That was a while ago.
      Whether builder still do that to save a few bucks on
      cats that the lives of dozens of tourists depend on, I
      don't know. But it proves the method is safe enough
      financialy and otherwise for the home builder.

      I also agree with you about the sails, but if you
      build a good platform, it will probably sail pretty
      nicely with polytarp sails also. One thing though is
      that a lot of his small boats are designed around
      already existing sails. My 24' foot uses a Hobbie 18
      sail rig. It is a lot easier to pick up one of those
      cheap, than get your local sail loft to spit out a
      decent dipping lug rig. My whole rig cost about 600
      us, sails, spar rotating gear, second hand. I have
      seen complet Hobbies in the US for as little as 300
      bucks.

      His plans are now steep. I bought several of his
      designs back when his 24' was 200 bucks. I still
      think that anyone who could find the 400 would get
      their money's worth in an education, there were
      hundreds of pages in the plan set, and the resale.

      --- Mark Albanese <marka@...> wrote:

      <> <BR>
      > I have no arguement with the assertion that Kurt
      Huges knows what he<BR>
      > is doing, but I have some doubt whether it's good
      policy to buy the<BR>
      > expensive rig and sails for a boat built with
      junk plywood.<BR>
      <BR>
      Not to mention plans at $400 @.<BR>
      </tt>