Re: [bolger] Digest Number 1034 - Bottom Paint

  • Ron Magen
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2002
      When I first decided to keep my boat in the water {Delaware River -
      Philadelphia - brackish water - algae scum rather than barnacles} I
      followed the accepted practice of asking the marina people what worked
      best - HERE. The boat had previously been 'drysailed' and never had the
      bottom painted.

      They recommended the Interlux VC-17m. Thin film, Teflon-based, almost
      instant drying, and able to stand up to trailering. The 'package' came
      with 3/4 of a quart of 'paint' and a container of copper powder that the
      user mixed in. It amounted to 14 percent CuOx; ". . . to provide some
      anti-fouling protection in fresh & low-fouling saltwater areas." Comes
      in Red, Blue, and Bronze.

      Didn't do squat, as far as I was concerned, about the scum. Although
      'they' said it wouldn't come except by heavy sanding, I figured how to
      do it with lacquer thinner. I then went to 34 percent 'Hard Modified
      Epoxy' product. Somewhat better, but had to sand every year before new
      application. You couldn't tell how much of the biocide was left . . . it
      leached out while the color remained. I had to have the bottom
      sandblasted to remove it.

      I'm now using the West Marine CoPolymer Plus Ablative product - CPP. 55
      percent CuOx, self-polishing, re-launchable. Harder than the traditional
      soft rosin sloughing coatings, it could also stand moderate trailering
      ('float' on and off rather than dragging across the bunk supports}.

      Define what you want to do, and what you want or expect from your
      coating, in YOUR AREA. Do your research, then go at it.

      Regards,
      Ron Magen
      Backyard Boatshop

      > Message: 13
      > Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 22:12:38 -0000
      > From: "willers32" <mwagner@...>
      > Subject: Re: Bottom paint
      >
      > Even buying powdered copper isn't cheap these days; and how can you be
      > sure of correct proportions? The stuff must have some kind of built in
      > UV protection. . . .

      As for doing the the topsides with the stuff - no way! It is HEAVY! . .
      .