mast options for Ruben's Nymph

  • bradktn
    Message 1 of 40 , May 29, 2002
      Does anyone have any experience with mast couplers? I've seen them in
      other plans, and would like the option of splitting the RN's mast in
      to two eight-foot sections. If they would not store in the boat at
      least it would be easier to transport them in the back of my truck.

      Another option would be to replace the leg o' mutton rig with a sprit.
      Any thoughts?
    • wmrpage@aol.com
      Message 40 of 40 , Jun 4, 2002
        lincolnr@... writes:

        > Sometimes I think about
        > building my own pedal powered boat since I can't do sliding seat stuff
        > anymore. Maybe even a super skinny flatty with vertical sides, tho of
        > course the increased wetted area would hurt some.

        Have you seen Bolger's design # 441? It's in Payson's "Build The New Instant
        Boats". Payson refers to is as "Paddlin' Madeline". It's a slender "box",
        19' 6" LOA (Length Over All), perhaps 18' or so LWL (?Length Water Line?;
        ?Load Waterline Length?) (I'm beginning to get the point about "AIA" (or is
        it AAI?) !!), with pedal operated side paddle wheels. It is obviously much
        more hydrodynamically efficient than the production pedal powered commercial
        paddle boats I've seen, not to mention more aesthetically pleasing. As an
        example of Bolger's ingenuity I find it entertaining and instructive, but I
        can't say that I would ever contemplate ever building one.

        Payson does claim that he and the fellow who commissioned the design and
        construction were able to get it "up to a steady seven knots with no
        strain". (The boat has side-by-seating for two pedalers.) "Dynamite"
        wouldn't exaggerate, would he? I haven't tried to run the numbers on
        "Paddlin' Madeline" - for one thing, the photo of it in operation shows a bag
        containing an indeterminate weight of rocks hanging from outside the gunnel
        to keep the boat on an even keel given the disparity of the weight between
        Payson and the owner, for another, he doesn't list their weights, and for a
        third, Gerr's "Propeller Handbook" doesn't include any formulae for paddle
        wheels!

        Ciao for Niao,
        Bill in MN
        (very strong ammonia smell emanating from the kitchen from some very old WEST
        epoxy! Hope the stuff cures?)