AS19

  • brucehallman
    Message 1 of 27 , May 24, 2002
      As always, I am engaged in serial boat building dreams. Most
      recently, I detailed and built a crude model of AS19. I count that
      it takes 30 sheets of 1/2" plywood. What an intriguing boat! I
      wonder just how fast it sails? I imagine painting the topside in
      normal 'nautical' color scheme, and bottom in some wild 'graffiti
      art' visible only when heeled over. AS19, like Pointer needs to heel
      over very far to sail fast I think, as if the boxy scoop bow isn't
      offensive enough :). I wonder if the 500 pound cast lead keel could
      be switched with a scrap steel cast in place concrete slab ballast, I
      think yes. I bet the whole boat could be had for less than $1,000.
      [using CDX plywood, poly tarp sails and house paint.]
    • pvanderwaart
      Message 2 of 27 , May 25, 2002
        > AS19, like Pointer needs to heel
        > over very far to sail fast I think, as if the boxy scoop bow isn't
        > offensive enough :).

        The "point of maximum power", as PCB has called it, for a flat bottom
        boat is usually near where the weather chine comes out of the water.
        That would be the heel angle for fastest sailing.
      • thomas dalzell
        Message 3 of 27 , May 26, 2002
          30 sheets? that seems like an awful lot.

          --- brucehallman <brucehallman@...> wrote:

          <HR>

          I count that <BR>
          it takes 30 sheets of 1/2" plywood.  What an
          intriguing boat!  I <BR>

        • brucehallman
          Message 4 of 27 , May 26, 2002
            --- In bolger@y..., thomas dalzell <proaconstrictor@y...> wrote:
            > 30 sheets? that seems like an awful lot.

            Perhaps a few less if you get creative using 'cut offs'. The bottom
            uses 10 sheets; the deck five; the sides five; bulkheads four or
            five; the cabin floors, two or three; doghouse one or two; leeboards
            3 or 4; and the footwell one.

            I was measuring my side yard, just enough room to build an AS19.
            [pending my wife's permission.]

            Not sure how to handle a 500 lb piece of lead. The plans call for
            the boat to build upside down, after the sides and bottom go on, you
            flip it over and then somehow maneuver a heavy piece of lead into the
            bottom. I guess I would need to build some sort of gantry, and hoist
            the lead ballast with a come-a-long or some such tool.
          • Richard Spelling
            Message 5 of 27 , May 27, 2002
              Rent fork lift silly.

              | > 30 sheets? that seems like an awful lot.
              |
              | Perhaps a few less if you get creative using 'cut offs'. The bottom
              | uses 10 sheets; the deck five; the sides five; bulkheads four or
              | five; the cabin floors, two or three; doghouse one or two; leeboards
              | 3 or 4; and the footwell one.
              |
              | I was measuring my side yard, just enough room to build an AS19.
              | [pending my wife's permission.]
              |
              | Not sure how to handle a 500 lb piece of lead. The plans call for
              | the boat to build upside down, after the sides and bottom go on, you
              | flip it over and then somehow maneuver a heavy piece of lead into the
              | bottom. I guess I would need to build some sort of gantry, and hoist
              | the lead ballast with a come-a-long or some such tool.
              |

              | Bolger rules!!!
              | - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging dead horses
              | - pls take "personals" off-list, stay on topic, and punctuate
              | - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts, snip all you like
              | - To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
              01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
              | - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

            • Derek Waters
              Message 6 of 27 , May 27, 2002
                >>Not sure how to handle a 500 lb piece of lead...<<

                A dolly made from construction lumber and heavy castors allowed me to slide
                400+ lbs of lead around. The arms holding the lead were adjustable for
                height, and lifting power was a couple of auto jacks. Don't sweat it.

                Cheers
                Derek
              • recree8
                Message 7 of 27 , May 27, 2002
                  Does it all have to be in one piece? What about ten fifty pound
                  pieces clamped down in the bilge?

                  Nels

                  --- In bolger@y..., "Derek Waters" <dgw@d...> wrote:
                  > >>Not sure how to handle a 500 lb piece of lead...<<
                  >
                  > A dolly made from construction lumber and heavy castors allowed me
                  to slide
                  > 400+ lbs of lead around. The arms holding the lead were adjustable
                  for
                  > height, and lifting power was a couple of auto jacks. Don't sweat
                  it.

                  > Cheers
                  > Derek
                • timothyennuinet
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 29, 2002
                    --- In bolger@y..., "brucehallman" <brucehallman@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In bolger@y..., thomas dalzell <proaconstrictor@y...> wrote:
                    > > 30 sheets? that seems like an awful lot.
                    >
                    > Perhaps a few less if you get creative using 'cut offs'. The bottom
                    > uses 10 sheets; the deck five; the sides five; bulkheads four or
                    > five; the cabin floors, two or three; doghouse one or two; leeboards
                    > 3 or 4; and the footwell one.
                    <snip>

                    Wow. That's not much at all. :)

                    I haven't the materials list yet, but based on spec'd thickness (2
                    inches) of the bottom of the tandem that Im eagerly awaiting...

                    50' long boat
                    8' wide at bottom (dont you love it?)

                    assuming a perfectly square bottom (which it is not) you would be
                    using 12-13 sheets per layer (1/2" sheets) times 4 = 48 - 52 sheets
                    just for the bottom.

                    of course.. it is a 50 foot design, rather than a 19 foot design. You
                    really get the sense of proportion as things get bigger when you look
                    at materials lists. Thats something like $4500 US in ply just for the
                    bottom. Woo.

                    Then again, looking through cruising magazines, and seeing the prices
                    being charged for 50' boats, I am comforted. Especially since most of
                    them have a 4-6 foot draft. :)
                  • Phil Ellis
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 2, 2005
                      Hi All,

                      I've built a bunch of kayaks, but am now ready to take
                      the leap to something that I can't lift onto the roof
                      rack by myself. After dithering over whether I want to
                      put up with the expense and aggravation of sails or
                      the expense and aggravation of sails, I've settled on
                      sails. Went through a similar process regarding
                      whether I want to build something beautiful the first
                      time out, or build simple, efficient and inexpensive,
                      and settled on the latter, in paticular, the Bolger
                      AS19.

                      After beating the virtual bushes for the last couple
                      of weeks, I'm still trying to come up with a source
                      for AS19 plans. Does anyone know where I can get plans
                      for this boat? Also, as far as I can tell, only one of
                      them has ever been built, does anyone know where it
                      is, or if there are others stashed anyplace.

                      Best regards,

                      Phil Ellis

                      __________________________________
                      Yahoo! Mail
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 2, 2005
                        On 8/2/05, Phil Ellis
                        > Does anyone know where I can get plans for this boat?

                        I have long wanted to build an AS19 too, facinating boat.

                        You are aware that it has a pretty big chunk of lead as ballast, right?

                        Manhandling a 500 pound slug of lead up and over the
                        sides and down into the bilge and down into the hull seems tricky to me.

                        I quess with some kind of winch it would be easy.

                        I also have thought that the doghouse could be enlarged a bit and would
                        turn the AS19 into a nice pocket cruiser.
                      • Howard Stephenson
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 2, 2005
                          Perusal of the following pages might help you find the owner of what
                          might be the only AS19 built:

                          http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/as19.htm

                          http://mkstocks.tripod.com/boats/as19/

                          Phil Boger and Friends would be able to sell you plans. You can find
                          contact details at the bottom of this page:

                          http://www.hallman.org/bolger/

                          For me AS19's sugar-scoop bow looks all wrong, although it seems to
                          work. The next size up is Martha Jane, a design I've always admired.
                          I see on this page:

                          http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/mj.htm#start

                          ''' that there is a modification that adds sponsons and ballast.

                          Howard

                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 2, 2005
                            Bruce,

                            I wasn't aware of the ballast, but am not surprised,
                            considering its reputed capability. I think I'll at
                            least go the next step and order up some plans. Was
                            more info on the AS19 published somewhere? The only
                            info I seem to be able to find on it are some pics and
                            an essay on the net.

                            Regards,

                            Phil

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 2, 2005
                              >Was
                              > more info on the AS19 published somewhere? The only
                              > info I seem to be able to find on it are some pics and
                              > an essay on the net.
                              > Phil

                              I forget where I read this. The database shows a writeup in
                              MAIB; Vol 17#15-16

                              If you send a fax to Bolger asking about the price for the plans,
                              they will probably fax you back a copy of this article.
                            • craig o'donnell
                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 2, 2005
                                After beating the virtual bushes for the last couple
                                of weeks, I'm still trying to come up with a source
                                for AS19 plans. Does anyone know where I can get plans
                                for this boat? Also, as far as I can tell, only one of
                                them has ever been built, does anyone know where it
                                is, or if there are others stashed anyplace.

                                Best regards,

                                Phil Ellis

                                Look at Jim Michalak's 19-ft boat. Very similar and perhaps simpler to build.
                                --
                                Craig O'Donnell
                                Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 2, 2005
                                  > Look at Jim Michalak's 19-ft boat. Very similar and perhaps simpler to build.
                                  > Craig O'Donnell

                                  AS19 has a mizzen sail, and Jukebox2 does not.
                                  Though the sail rigs are quite different, I agree the
                                  hulls are very similar.
                                • Harry James
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Aug 2, 2005
                                    How about at the bottom of this page?

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Aug 2, 2005
                                      Harry,

                                      Not knowing whether the person who made the original post received
                                      emails (where contact details are shown) or read meassages off the
                                      Group's website (where the details are not given) I gave him a link to
                                      a page that would show the contact details. I've suggested before that
                                      it would be a good idea for the moderator to show Bolger's address
                                      etc. on the Group's home page.

                                      Howard

                                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James <welshman@p...> wrote:
                                      > How about at the bottom of this page?
                                    • Mike
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Aug 3, 2005
                                        Hi Phil -

                                        Phil & Susanne sell the plans.

                                        I used to have one and it was a lot of fun.

                                        http://mkstocks.tripod.com/boats/as19/

                                        Consider using the updated leeboard (ala Martha Jane upgrade and Jochems) geometry.

                                        Bye.

                                        Mike
                                      • Mike
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Aug 3, 2005
                                          Hi -

                                          The ballast in mine consisted of a bout 6 bars of lead so that you don't have to handle a
                                          big bunch at once.

                                          While I'm thinking about it, you might want to add a tabernacle of sorts for the mast - it
                                          was all I could do to lift it straight up all the time.

                                          FWIW - the dog house seemed big enough to me from inside - but I'm only 5'7" or so.
                                          There was room to sit on the porta pottie inside the doghouse.

                                          If you really want a roomy house, go straight to the cruising Micro.

                                          Mike
                                        • Roger Derby
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Aug 3, 2005
                                            What am I missing here? The fourth line of the "Bolger Rules" at the bottom
                                            of EVERY post on this group does give the contact info.

                                            Roger
                                            derbyrm@...
                                            http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

                                            > Not knowing whether the person who made the original post received
                                            > emails (where contact details are shown) or read meassages off the
                                            > Group's website (where the details are not given) I gave him a link to
                                            > a page that would show the contact details. I've suggested before that
                                            > it would be a good idea for the moderator to show Bolger's address
                                            > etc. on the Group's home page.
                                            >
                                            > Howard
                                            >
                                            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James <welshman@p...> wrote:
                                            >> How about at the bottom of this page?

                                            > (978) 282-1349
                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • craig o'donnell
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Aug 3, 2005
                                              http://www.emubo.com/e/boote/kueste/kueste.html

                                              Something in the same general aesthetic, but not in rig.
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Aug 3, 2005
                                                Roger,

                                                Have you tried reading the posts off the website? This is what I do
                                                and I don't see contact info.

                                                Howard

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Aug 3, 2005
                                                  Ah, so! No, I never tried that unless I was searching back years to find a
                                                  particular post.

                                                  It does seem like it ought to be part of the introductory header.

                                                  Thanks,

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Aug 4, 2005
                                                    http://hallman.org/bolger/AS19/as19nav.gif

                                                    shows a 'navigator cabin, cut and paste on an AS19
                                                  • graeme19121984
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Aug 4, 2005
                                                      > http://hallman.org/bolger/AS19/as19nav.gif
                                                      >
                                                      > shows a 'navigator cabin, cut and paste on an AS19

                                                      Thanks for that Bruce, I like it.

                                                      Wow, this is a long thread Bruce - from May 2002. Back then you
                                                      counted 30 sheets of 1/2" plywood to build AS19.

                                                      I've just looked at the Duckworks add for Michalak's JukeBox 3, a
                                                      design inspired by AS19. The specs given for JB3 are for 10 x 1/4"
                                                      ply and 11 x 1/2" ply, and that includes the extra for water ballast
                                                      tank. That is approximately equivalent to 32 sheets of 1/4" plywood,
                                                      no? Do you think AS19 would have to be built roughly twice as strong
                                                      and heavy as JB3? Do you recall whether PCB&F did specify all 1/2"
                                                      plywood? Less would be cheaper.

                                                      Graeme
                                                    • Howard Stephenson
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Aug 5, 2005
                                                        I'd have thought 3/8" would be heavy enough for the sides, with
                                                        double that on the bottom. Jessie Cooper, 25' x 7'6" and with three
                                                        times the AS19's displacement uses 1/2" ply for the sides, but with
                                                        3/4" (finished) timber cross-planks on the bottom. A lot depends of
                                                        course on the way the ply is backed with framing. As there is no
                                                        keel, the bottom has to be thick to provide the strength that a keel
                                                        normally provides, and maybe 3/4" is a bit light.

                                                        But that's just my idea. PCB doesn't make a habit of specifying
                                                        heavier construction than necessary. There is a page on this design
                                                        in Bernie Wolfard's Common Sense Design Book, where it says it's
                                                        made from "1/2" ply (alternate 1/3 or 1/4 ply)". Quarter-inch seems
                                                        a bit light.

                                                        Howard

                                                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984"

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Aug 6, 2005
                                                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson" <stephensonhw@a...>
                                                          wrote:
                                                          > I'd have thought 3/8" would be heavy enough for the sides, with
                                                          > double that on the bottom.

                                                          Sounds good to me.

                                                          Graeme