[bolger] Micro bottom

  • pippobianco@tin.it
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 1999
      Dear all - I'm about to start building Micro (oh yes). Luckily enough I
      located a supplier with terrific prices on marine okoume (the equivalent
      of 30 US$ per 4'x8' sheet, 3/8", 5 plies) which will allow me to save
      more than 50% w.r.t. other suppliers I had contacted before. Now, I'm
      going to use 3/8" ply and the question is: should the bottom be made
      with 1 or 2 layers? 10 mm plywood seems strong stuff, but on the other
      hand I'd like a very strong bottom since the boat is going to be
      trailered a lot. A few months ago, Bernie Wolfard suggested to use 1
      layer with the shoes (he said: double thickness would be a waste of
      plywood). I
      n the case of 2 thicknesses, how would you suggest to apply the second
      layer? And what about the keel batten: should it be installed before or
      after
      fiberglassing the bottom? Thanks, Pippo
    • Chuck Leinweber
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 1999
        Pippo:

        Congratulations on the great buy! I'm jealous.

        Two layers. I put two layers of 3/8" ply on the Tennessee that I built, and
        sometimes I think that is not enough like when the bottom flexes going into
        a chop. In the case of the Micro, the weight will only help the stability.
        You only build a boat once, but you enjoy its good qualities, or suffer its
        short comings for a long time.

        The way I attached the second layer, was as follows: Lay down the first
        course of 3/8 ply. Next cut out the second layer so that the joints are
        staggered in relation to the first layer. Now drill 3/16" holes on 6"
        centers in each piece of the second layer. Spread lots of epoxy on both
        surfaces, position each piece, and put drywall screws all the way through.
        Be careful not to spin them out. When the epoxy starts to set up, remove
        the screws, and fill the holes. I'm sure there is an easier way to do this,
        but at least this way does work. You get the advantage of orienting the
        good sides out.

        I would put the keel batten on top of the glass.

        Chuck

        > Dear all - I'm about to start building Micro (oh yes). Luckily enough I
        > located a supplier with terrific prices on marine okoume (the equivalent
        > of 30 US$ per 4'x8' sheet, 3/8", 5 plies) which will allow me to save
        > more than 50% w.r.t. other suppliers I had contacted before. Now, I'm
        > going to use 3/8" ply and the question is: should the bottom be made
        > with 1 or 2 layers? 10 mm plywood seems strong stuff, but on the other
        > hand I'd like a very strong bottom since the boat is going to be
        > trailered a lot. A few months ago, Bernie Wolfard suggested to use 1
        > layer with the shoes (he said: double thickness would be a waste of
        > plywood). I
        > n the case of 2 thicknesses, how would you suggest to apply the second
        > layer? And what about the keel batten: should it be installed before or
        > after
        > fiberglassing the bottom? Thanks, Pippo

        > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/805
        >

        > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger

      • G Carlson
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 1999
          Chuck's 100% right - my 1/4" sneakeasy bottom oil-cans like crazy - it
          would scare you! The shoes don't do much to stiffen it unless they were
          pretty darn stiff themselves.

          I am wondering whether you might want complete the keel before glassing the
          bottom. You'll be able to fillet and wrap the glass right across the
          bottom and along the keel. I might them shoe after all this, I don't
          know...

          By the way, I encapsulated lead shot in polyester rather tha caste the
          keel, then added a steel strap the full length of the bottom of the keel.
          Let me know if any of that appeals to you when you get to that stage.

          Gregg