Dakota also has 3 layers of 1/2" for the bottom plus 4 layers in the
center shoe. Because of the 14" rocker, I decided to splice the bottom
panels into 4' x 40' sheets so they would bend easier (think pencil vs.
fly rod). I used screws and epoxy thickened with wood flour and silica
spread with a notched trowel. I predrilled the screw holes. It was very
reassuring as I tightened each screw to see the goop squeeze up through
the adjacent empty screw holes. I found that for screwing the first
layer into the second, 3/4" screws didn't bite well. I had already
glassed and prefinished the bottom of the first panel and didn't want to
pierce the bottom surface, so I cut off a bunch of longer deck screws.
They needed a tap with the hammer to start, but, being fatter, they
gripped better (experiment with various fasteners before you start
Re: prefitting: It is unnecessary. I stacked all of the layers for both
sides with the edges aligned. I layed out the curvature from the
expansions provided in the plans. Then I cut all six 4' x 40' panels to
shape at one time with a circular saw. They fit perfectly.