Re: Micro Booms

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2002
      Thanks Peter,

      When I said I made the boom with pegs and did not know why, I
      should have stated: "It seemed so simple, I could not find a reason
      not to build them that way. I had been tieing the snotter and sheets
      on like making fast to a cleat, but will immediately go home and
      splice loops into my sheets and snotters.

      Did you fasten the main halyard pulley at the top of the mast with a
      rope through the mast as per Bolger, or did you use a different
      method?

      David Jost

      "also working very, very, hard."

      > --- In bolger@y..., "dnjost" <djost@m...> wrote:
      > > I made booms with pegs. I don't know why. >

    • ellengaestboatbuildingcom
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2002
        Hi David,
        Used a s/s eye strap,screwed into the truck and a small(3/8")
        swivel block for halyard.Plenty strong since loads are in shear.
        You're almost done!!!
        Peter L.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2002
          Peter,
          Thanks for the information. I wondered if you had any problems
          with it. It should be strong enough that way since the load is in
          shear as you said. The thought of making a hole up there did not
          make a lot of sense to me. The wood is thin enough as it is.

          I am getting close to done on her, but need to invent a 36 hour
          day. I picked up the trailer today. I obviously scrapped the idea
          of welding one. It just didn't make sense to build a boat this great
          and then not be able to go where I want with it. Stepping the mast
          is a breeze. :-)

          David Jost

          --- In bolger@y..., "ellengaestboatbuildingcom" <ellengaest@b...>