Laminating Plywood

  • Jeff Blunck
    Message 1 of 37 , May 2, 2002
      On the Wyoming I will need to laminate three layers of 1/2" plywood for the
      bottom. I have done this before using epoxy slightly thickened and is
      probably an excellant way to do this but.......

      Mr. Bolger calls for a boat nail every square foot with a note that "two is
      even better" to help eliminate any "holidays" in the glue. These nails stay
      in place so I'm thinking of saving lot's of time by using the polyurethane
      glues such as "Gorilla Glue"? At 1/2 ounce per square foot for these glues,
      no real cost savings but lot's of time.

      Maybe a good polyurethane construction adhesive will work too. This glue
      will not be exposed to water so water proof is not a requirement, water
      resistant should be okay.

      I can't see a down side of this and the upside is the speed of assembly.

      Jeff
    • thomas dalzell
      Message 37 of 37 , May 6, 2002
        Why nail? just let the two plies float. Realisticaly
        we want some load sharing, and if you don't use glue,
        your nailing pattern might go from 1' centers to 3"
        centers.

        --- "Clyde S. Wisner" <clydewis@...> wrote:

        <HR>

        Games, Movies, Music & Sports! http://entertainment.yahoo.ca