Re: Micro Booms

  • ellengaestboatbuildingcom
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2002
      Those little pegs just serve as stops for the line which captures the
      boom foreward for the snotter and aft for the sheet.The lines are
      secured simply by tieing a bowline(or splicing a loop) into their ends
      (diameter of loops just a wee bit greater then the boom diameter)and
      hooking these loops over the boom ends.The direction of applied
      tension will always draw the loops ups against the pegs.Maximum
      strength(no holes through the boom to"split" wood under stress),dirt
      simple to set up and take down and difficult to imagine anything
      cheaper.Really!
      Reefing is quick and simple too as one has only to slip a loop from
      the main leech reef grommet over the end of the boom.Tensioning the
      snotter will draw the line up tight against the pegs.
      Sincerely,
      Peter Lenihan,busy busy busy at work................

      --- In bolger@y..., "dnjost" <djost@m...> wrote:
      > I made booms with pegs. I don't know why. >

    • dnjost
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2002
        Thanks Peter,

        When I said I made the boom with pegs and did not know why, I
        should have stated: "It seemed so simple, I could not find a reason
        not to build them that way. I had been tieing the snotter and sheets
        on like making fast to a cleat, but will immediately go home and
        splice loops into my sheets and snotters.

        Did you fasten the main halyard pulley at the top of the mast with a
        rope through the mast as per Bolger, or did you use a different
        method?

        David Jost

        "also working very, very, hard."

        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2002
          Hi David,
          Used a s/s eye strap,screwed into the truck and a small(3/8")
          swivel block for halyard.Plenty strong since loads are in shear.
          You're almost done!!!
          Peter L.

          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2002
            Peter,
            Thanks for the information. I wondered if you had any problems
            with it. It should be strong enough that way since the load is in
            shear as you said. The thought of making a hole up there did not
            make a lot of sense to me. The wood is thin enough as it is.

            I am getting close to done on her, but need to invent a 36 hour
            day. I picked up the trailer today. I obviously scrapped the idea
            of welding one. It just didn't make sense to build a boat this great
            and then not be able to go where I want with it. Stepping the mast
            is a breeze. :-)

            David Jost

            --- In bolger@y..., "ellengaestboatbuildingcom" <ellengaest@b...>