Re: Micro Booms

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2002
      Glen,
      I am kind of fond of the stopper knot. It has less of a tendency
      to undo itself at unopportune times.

      I recommend the Ashley Book of Knots to all those Bolger boaters
      who want to do things with rope.

      I am thinking that a bow pudding would look cool on "Firefly". There
      are no stays for baggy wrinkles, so I need to do something else.

      David Jost.
    • recree8
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2002
        Then there are some of us who carry around our own baggy wrinkles.

        Nels:-)

        --- In bolger@y..., "dnjost" <djost@m...> wrote:
        > I am thinking that a bow pudding would look cool on "Firefly".
        There
        > are no stays for baggy wrinkles, so I need to do something else.
        >

        > David Jost.
      • ellengaestboatbuildingcom
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2002
          Those little pegs just serve as stops for the line which captures the
          boom foreward for the snotter and aft for the sheet.The lines are
          secured simply by tieing a bowline(or splicing a loop) into their ends
          (diameter of loops just a wee bit greater then the boom diameter)and
          hooking these loops over the boom ends.The direction of applied
          tension will always draw the loops ups against the pegs.Maximum
          strength(no holes through the boom to"split" wood under stress),dirt
          simple to set up and take down and difficult to imagine anything
          cheaper.Really!
          Reefing is quick and simple too as one has only to slip a loop from
          the main leech reef grommet over the end of the boom.Tensioning the
          snotter will draw the line up tight against the pegs.
          Sincerely,
          Peter Lenihan,busy busy busy at work................

          --- In bolger@y..., "dnjost" <djost@m...> wrote:
          > I made booms with pegs. I don't know why. >

        • dnjost
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2002
            Thanks Peter,

            When I said I made the boom with pegs and did not know why, I
            should have stated: "It seemed so simple, I could not find a reason
            not to build them that way. I had been tieing the snotter and sheets
            on like making fast to a cleat, but will immediately go home and
            splice loops into my sheets and snotters.

            Did you fasten the main halyard pulley at the top of the mast with a
            rope through the mast as per Bolger, or did you use a different
            method?

            David Jost

            "also working very, very, hard."

            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2002
              Hi David,
              Used a s/s eye strap,screwed into the truck and a small(3/8")
              swivel block for halyard.Plenty strong since loads are in shear.
              You're almost done!!!
              Peter L.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2002
                Peter,
                Thanks for the information. I wondered if you had any problems
                with it. It should be strong enough that way since the load is in
                shear as you said. The thought of making a hole up there did not
                make a lot of sense to me. The wood is thin enough as it is.

                I am getting close to done on her, but need to invent a 36 hour
                day. I picked up the trailer today. I obviously scrapped the idea
                of welding one. It just didn't make sense to build a boat this great
                and then not be able to go where I want with it. Stepping the mast
                is a breeze. :-)

                David Jost

                --- In bolger@y..., "ellengaestboatbuildingcom" <ellengaest@b...>