Re: Electric Boat

  • nettech22407
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2002
      A possible problem with this is the duty cycle. The welder was
      designed to put out 40 amps on an intermittent basis. Use of a motor
      may well exceed the thermal designs of the electronics because power
      draw from a motor is constant not intermittent.

      You might want to have an engineer look at the internal components
      for the intended purpose.
    • brucehallman
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2002
        --- In bolger@y..., "nettech22407" <micwal_va@h...> wrote:
        > A possible problem with this is the duty cycle. The welder was
        > designed to put out 40 amps on an intermittent basis.

        I was concerned about that too, though the Miller Big Blue 251D is
        rated @40V DC 250A at 100% duty cycle per their spec sheet. These
        welders can be used in fab shops etc. around the clock under constant
        use.

        Spec sheet PDF file here (takes a while to download):

        http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/products/ED5-2.pdf

        I agree with you that an electrical engineer needs to design the
        system.