Re: Micro Booms

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2002
      I made booms with pegs. I don't know why. I will probably find out
      when I have to reef it the first time.
      The hole in the boom with a figure 8 knot should work up front, but
      at the clew, it will be much easier to undo the sheet from the pegs
      than untieing a knot. Fast is good.

      David Jost
      "going home to fair and fill holes."

      > always figured that if it didn't work, I'd simply install the pegs
      > later....
      >
      > Glen Gibson
    • Richard Spelling
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2002
        Run the snotter from the mast, thru a hole in the end of sprit, back to a
        block or fairleader on the mast, down to the deck, and back to the cockpit.

        The turn at the deck will pull the mast down snug, and you could adjust
        sprit tension from the cockpit.

        > I made booms with pegs. I don't know why. I will probably find out
        > when I have to reef it the first time.
        > The hole in the boom with a figure 8 knot should work up front, but
        > at the clew, it will be much easier to undo the sheet from the pegs
        > than untieing a knot. Fast is good.
        >
        > David Jost
        > "going home to fair and fill holes."

        > > always figured that if it didn't work, I'd simply install the pegs
        > > later....
        > >
        > > Glen Gibson

        01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

      • dnjost
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2002
          Glen,
          I am kind of fond of the stopper knot. It has less of a tendency
          to undo itself at unopportune times.

          I recommend the Ashley Book of Knots to all those Bolger boaters
          who want to do things with rope.

          I am thinking that a bow pudding would look cool on "Firefly". There
          are no stays for baggy wrinkles, so I need to do something else.

          David Jost.
        • recree8
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2002
            Then there are some of us who carry around our own baggy wrinkles.

            Nels:-)

            --- In bolger@y..., "dnjost" <djost@m...> wrote:
            > I am thinking that a bow pudding would look cool on "Firefly".
            There
            > are no stays for baggy wrinkles, so I need to do something else.
            >

            > David Jost.
          • ellengaestboatbuildingcom
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2002
              Those little pegs just serve as stops for the line which captures the
              boom foreward for the snotter and aft for the sheet.The lines are
              secured simply by tieing a bowline(or splicing a loop) into their ends
              (diameter of loops just a wee bit greater then the boom diameter)and
              hooking these loops over the boom ends.The direction of applied
              tension will always draw the loops ups against the pegs.Maximum
              strength(no holes through the boom to"split" wood under stress),dirt
              simple to set up and take down and difficult to imagine anything
              cheaper.Really!
              Reefing is quick and simple too as one has only to slip a loop from
              the main leech reef grommet over the end of the boom.Tensioning the
              snotter will draw the line up tight against the pegs.
              Sincerely,
              Peter Lenihan,busy busy busy at work................

              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2002
                Thanks Peter,

                When I said I made the boom with pegs and did not know why, I
                should have stated: "It seemed so simple, I could not find a reason
                not to build them that way. I had been tieing the snotter and sheets
                on like making fast to a cleat, but will immediately go home and
                splice loops into my sheets and snotters.

                Did you fasten the main halyard pulley at the top of the mast with a
                rope through the mast as per Bolger, or did you use a different
                method?

                David Jost

                "also working very, very, hard."

                Message 7 of 9 , May 3, 2002
                  Hi David,
                  Used a s/s eye strap,screwed into the truck and a small(3/8")
                  swivel block for halyard.Plenty strong since loads are in shear.
                  You're almost done!!!
                  Peter L.

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 3, 2002
                    Peter,
                    Thanks for the information. I wondered if you had any problems
                    with it. It should be strong enough that way since the load is in
                    shear as you said. The thought of making a hole up there did not
                    make a lot of sense to me. The wood is thin enough as it is.

                    I am getting close to done on her, but need to invent a 36 hour
                    day. I picked up the trailer today. I obviously scrapped the idea
                    of welding one. It just didn't make sense to build a boat this great
                    and then not be able to go where I want with it. Stepping the mast
                    is a breeze. :-)

                    David Jost

                    --- In bolger@y..., "ellengaestboatbuildingcom" <ellengaest@b...>