Re: Jellyfish oar

  • dagon_gsl
    Message 1 of 136 , May 1, 2002
      Here's an excellent resource for sculling info.

      Kellan

      --- In bolger@y..., wmrpage@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 4/29/02 12:36:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
      > proaconstrictor@y... writes:
      >

      > > Both oars and the
      > > jellyfish have a recovery stroke due to the reciprocal
      > > nature of the stroke. More efficient options would
      > >

      > ...not have a recovery stroke. Like the old-fashioned technique of
      skulling
      > (sic?) with an oar over the stern! Likewise a yuloh powers (I
      believe) on
      > both the "to" and the "fro" stroke. Both of these techniques permit
      the
      > operator to face forward.
      >
      > I don't have any experience with either. I have never
      tried "skulling" (it
      > that's the proper term) with anything that approached appropriate
      equipment
      > or with the benefit of instruction. If it is not more efficient
      than pumping
      > an umbrella underwater, it should be, as it is so much more
      elegant!! Then
      > there is the pure "show-off" factor of having mastered such an
      esoteric
      > skill!
      >
      > I really don't grasp the theory of "skulling" (despite having read
      at least
      > one nicely illustrated article on the subject somewhere - no entry
      under
      > "skulling" in the WB index). However, I have witnessed it being
      done with
      > impressive panache, so I know it can be done.
      >
      > Ciao for Niao,
      > Bill in MN

    • Harry W. James
      Message 136 of 136 , May 6, 2002
        Prop shaft and prop is the simplest and most efficient solution. The
        problem is draft. You can run the mercruiser almost all the way
        retracted at low RPM's to work through shallow spots. It would be
        difficult to get buy with less then 2 1/2 feet of draft with out a
        tunnel.

        For those interested in converting a car engine into a marine engine see
        Ken hankinsons "Inboard Engine Installation " is an excellent source.
        Glen L sells it I believe.

        HJ