Re: [bolger] Re: Tortoise

  • thomas dalzell
    Message 1 of 27 , May 1, 2002
      I am not saying they are putting them on with tape.
      But there isn't any real reason I can see why you
      can't design a multi panel shape create files for all
      the panels. and then just add an allowance for the
      rabbet. One way of doing that with a cnc approach
      would simply be to cut the rabbet edge profile with a
      tool the width of the lap, and insufficient
      penetration, then take a second cut to the outside.
      An alternative, which they may be using, is to
      actually loft in 3d all the contours for all the
      planks, but that seems like an enormous amount of
      work. Still if they have a cad/cam person, why not.
      In any case I think a DIY could easily follow the
      approach I described, simply by using a simple cad to
      loft the planks, lay an appropriate batten on the
      lower edge, and draw to the outside, thereby adding
      the rabbet allowance. Then cut it back with a bearing
      guide router to form the lap. Don't see why that
      shouldn't work.

      --- "Paul W. Esterle" <pesterle@...> wrote:

      <HR>

      <tt>
      I've been to CLC and have talked with their CNC/CAD
      guy. I get the<BR>
      impression that they are doing a lot more than just
      "tacking on" the rabbet<BR>
      stock. I was really neat to se their CNC machine
      cutting step rabbets in the<BR>
      strakes!<BR>
      <

      Post your ad for FREE! http://personals.yahoo.ca
    • Vince and Mary Ann Chew
      Message 2 of 27 , May 15, 2002
        I haven't sailed my Tortoise, but I have towed it, rowed it, and even
        used a 2HP Johnson outboard on mine for the past 4 years. Bolger was
        constrained in this design by the desire to use just two sheets of
        plywood. If this is not a priority, and you don't mind a bit more
        weight, then I believe that a foredeck with flotation beneath is a
        useful addition. The reason is that it is fairly easy when stepping into
        the boat to land with your weight near a forward corner and press the
        corner under the water. When you do, you will usually ship a couple of
        gallons of water before you can scramble to the center and aft. I'm
        planning to add triangular foredecks in the corners of mine. This will
        still leave room to sit all the way forward when rowing with a
        passenger. (see below).

        I'm less enthusiastic about centering the mast. There is not much room
        in the boat for two adults. When I row with my wife aboard, I find the
        best solution is to have her sit well back on the aft deck while I am
        all the way forward facing aft to give room to row without hitting her
        knees with the oars. With the mast centered, I would have to remove it
        in order to have room to row with a passenger.

        Vince Chew