Off Topic - Boat Insurance - "Statement of Condition"

  • wmrpage
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 28, 2002
      I recently purchased a used boat as a Mother's Day/Birthday gift for
      my mother. When I called my friendly State Farm agent to purchase
      liability insurance coverage I was told I needed to provide
      a "Statement of Condition" for the boat as it is more than 10 years
      old. The nice lady told me that she thought I could obtain the same
      at just about any marina or boat dealer. However, when I came out of
      a driving snowstorm yesterday into a large boat dealership
      conveniently located a few blocks away from where I will be storing
      the boat pending the onset of Spring (may it come this year!), the
      counterman met my inquiry with seemingly genuine ignorance (and a
      dose of thinly disguised contempt that anyone would use such an old
      boat). Does anyone in the group know what if there is a
      standard "Statement of Condition" form and who is qualified to
      complete one?
    • rdchamberland
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 28, 2002
        -I too have State Farm. When I completed my Hawkeye and wanted to
        insure it for the value I had in mind I was told that I would have to
        get a survey to establish the value. A secondary benefit was to
        determine the seaworthiness.
        Last year I bought an old Cape Dory Typhoon. Again since it was older
        than ten years I was told I would need a "statement of condition".
        After checking around boatyards and knowledgable folks in general I
        decided that I would get survey.
        As you can see you will probably have to get a survey. Needless to say
        the survey is by someone with credentials. The survey for the Typhoon
        probably saved me from some embarressment since the back stay was not
        going to last my first season. It was replaced before the first
        launch. You might figure on anything from $100 to $300. I don't know
        your boat but generally costs are per foot and with a minimum.
        Bob Chamberland

      • wmrpage@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 28, 2002
          In a message dated 4/28/02 4:25:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
          cha62759@... writes:

          > As you can see you will probably have to get a survey. Needless to say
          > the survey is by someone with credentials.

          Thanks for the reply. The rant that follows is directed at insurance
          underwriters, not you.

          I suppose it is remotely possible that there is someone in the Twin Cities
          who styles himself a "surveyor" of boats and has some sort of "credentials",
          but that is a 5 hour round trip by car to where I have the boat parked. Mind
          you, the boat is a generic 16' aluminum hulled, factory-built,
          outboard-powered fishing boat for use on protected inland waters. What is
          there to survey? That it has a drain plug? I'm a little astonished that I
          bound liability coverage on the '84 Mazda I used to trailer it with a simple
          telephone call, but can't do the same on a boat as generic and commonplace as
          this. I may have to change my insurer!

          Ciao for Niao,
          Bill in MN

        • rnlocnil
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 29, 2002
            Perhaps you should go back to that dealer and insist on talking to the
            owner. I'm sure you're not the first person in your area to have
            this problem. It's my experience that customer service people often
            are clueless (tho some are very good). When I give up and go to Home
            Despot, I put some effort into dodging "May I help you"'s, because the
            answer is usually no.
            --- In bolger@y..., wmrpage@a... wrote:
            > In a message dated 4/28/02 4:25:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
            > cha62759@t... writes:
            >

            > > As you can see you will probably have to get a survey. Needless to
            say
            > > the survey is by someone with credentials.
            >
            > Thanks for the reply. The rant that follows is directed at insurance
            > underwriters, not you.
            >
            > I suppose it is remotely possible that there is someone in the Twin
            Cities
          • David Romasco
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 29, 2002
              Bill, I think you can resolve this with a simple and clearly written
              equipment list accompanied by a raft of pictures sent to your agent. I
              suspect they're simply reading the procedure book instead of thinking...

              If SF can't handle the cover, try BoatUS. In my experience, getting
              coverage is painless and I've heard their service on claims is
              excellent. (no connection with BoatUS, except as a member and insured,
              which means I usually pay THEM...).

              David Romasco

              cha62759@... writes:

              > As you can see you will probably have to get a survey. Needless to say
              > the survey is by someone with credentials.

              Thanks for the reply. The rant that follows is directed at insurance
              underwriters, not you.

              I suppose it is remotely possible that there is someone in the Twin
              Cities
              who styles himself a "surveyor" of boats and has some sort of
              "credentials",
              but that is a 5 hour round trip by car to where I have the boat parked.
              Mind
              you, the boat is a generic 16' aluminum hulled, factory-built,
              outboard-powered fishing boat for use on protected inland waters. What
              is
              there to survey? That it has a drain plug? I'm a little astonished that
              bound liability coverage on the '84 Mazda I used to trailer it with a
              simple
              telephone call, but can't do the same on a boat as generic and
              commonplace as
              this. I may have to change my insurer!

              Ciao for Niao,
              Bill in MN

              Bolger rules!!!
              01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • rdchamberland
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 29, 2002
                Yes I can see this is a different kettle of fish than what I had. I
                had a survey done on my Typhoon mainly because, as you say, no one
                knew what a "Statement of condition" was. The Typhoon also has more to
                go wrong than the usual aluminum fishing skiff. All I can suggest is
                that you might connect with the Coast Guard Auxiliary or perhaps your
                local Power Squadron and see if they can assist. I've heard of others
                having the same problem with BoatUS and West but there again it is
                really the insurance underwriter. The Auxiliary does inspections
                though I believe they are mainly safety related. That may be just fine
                with SF.
                Bob Chamberland

                --- In bolger@y..., wmrpage@a... wrote:
                >> I suppose it is remotely possible that there is someone in the Twin
                Cities
                > who styles himself a "surveyor" of boats and has some sort of
                "credentials",
                > but that is a 5 hour round trip by car to where I have the boat
                parked. Mind
                > you, the boat is a generic 16' aluminum hulled, factory-built,
                > outboard-powered fishing boat for use on protected inland waters.
                What is
                > there to survey? That it has a drain plug? I'm a little astonished
                that I
                > bound liability coverage on the '84 Mazda I used to trailer it with
                a simple
                > telephone call, but can't do the same on a boat as generic and
                commonplace as
                > this. I may have to change my insurer!
                >
                > Ciao for Niao,
                > Bill in MN

              • M Fx
                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2002
                  there could be. There's a boat repair shop up in
                  Robbinsdale (near HWY 100 & 81) that probably does
                  surveying type stuff, or could point you in the right
                  direction. Where is the boat?)

                  http://health.yahoo.com