Re: Joining plywood

  • Kellan Hatch
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24 2:58 PM
      I'm in the process of gluing the fiberglass butt joints for the panels of my

      Cartopper. I can't vouch for their strength, but I will share a technique

      that is working very well for me. Payson suggests laying a sheet of waxed

      paper over the glass & resin (actually, I'm using epoxy) and smoothing it

      flat with a trowel or straightedge. I tried that on the first joint,

      without dishing it out first, and it worked reasonably well, but picked up a

      some subtle wrinkles and irregularities from the paper. For the next set of

      joints I dished out the plywood slightly with a sander and replaced the

      waxed paper with a sheet of fairly thick acetate, then covered it with a

      piece of smooth plywood and piled some weight on top. The result was a

      joint that is perfectly level and glass-smooth.

      Kellan