[bolger] A sea of choices.

  • Tim Bush
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 25, 2000
      I am hoping someone can offer me some advise or opinions on which boat
      is right for me. But first an introduction......
      My name is Tim Bush and I live in the mid upper north central part of
      the States (ok, Minnesota, the land of HARD water). This is the first
      time I have posted to this board, but I have been reading it for a
      while now.
      I have built a sharpie canoe and kayak before and now I want to try my
      hand at sailing. Mostly solo, and in lakes (There are a lot of them
      here). The trouble is there are just too many plans to choose from! I
      think I have narrowed it down to either a Junebug, Surf, or Gypsy. I
      like the Junebug simplicity, I like the surfs looks, and the gypsy
      catches my eye also, although I suspect she might be harder for the
      inexperianced (read inept)sailor.
      Any of you experienced gents care to comment? I appreciate the help.
    • Jack Bearden
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 25, 2000
        I become obsessive when endorcing June Bug as a great choice for building/ sailing. But then again she's the only Bolger boat I've ever sailed. She shines in comparison to any other boat I've sailed eg. O'day 19' and 25', Hobbie Cat, Sunfish, 32' owner built cat and Marco Polo. My wife, who has much more sailing experience, ranks our JB as one of the most fun crafts she's ever sailed. She's extremely forgiving (JB, I mean, though my wife puts up with a lot too) along with being quick and graceful (also applies to my wife).

        HHP says Gypsy is well suited for beginners right up to experts. I put much faith in his assessment and don't think you'd go wrong with that choice. Dito for Surf. What the hell, build all three. They all take the same rig, more or less. At least close enough for interchange purposes.

        June Bug is probably the most economical and simple of the three to build. Excellent step by steps in Build the New Instant Boats. Though I managed without it (one call to HHP). Proceedures for Teal in the original instant boats were easy to adapt to JB, though the steps for the sprit boom for Teal (et al) do not match the plans for June Bug. ...New Instant Boats clears that up. Good luck.

        jeb on he bleak shores of Fundy
      • Jack Bearden
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 25, 2000
          Also meant to add that JB is great for solo sailing and probably the best of the three for launching and removing from the water single handed. You can drop her from a 20' warf or launch her from a car top. She's a bit hefty to portage, but if you can get your wheels to the waters edge you can get her in...and out single handed.

          jeb in the Fundy mist
        • John Bell
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 25, 2000
            At 09:06 AM 1/25/00 -0800, you wrote:
            >I am hoping someone can offer me some advise or opinions on which boat
            >is right for me. But first an introduction......
            >My name is Tim Bush and I live in the mid upper north central part of
            >the States (ok, Minnesota, the land of HARD water). This is the first
            >time I have posted to this board, but I have been reading it for a

            Hard water: Tonight I just arrived in International Falls, Minnesota("the
            Icebox of the Nation") having flown in from Atlanta this morning. It's five
            degrees Fahrenheit and the only liquid water around is that which is
            diluting my scotch as the ice cubes slowly melt while I'm sitting in the
            bar at the Holiday Inn. Based on what I saw today, you need an iceboat!

            Seriously, any one of the boats you named would be good choices. For ease
            of building, JB gets my vote. My favorite of the bunch is Surf, though.

            Anybody else on this list travel a lot?

            Best,

            John Bell
            International Falls, MN (but Kennesaw, GA is home!)

            John Bell - jmbell@...
            ---------------------------------
            http://jmbell.home.mindspring.com
          • Robert N. Lundy
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 25, 2000
              I thought I was unlucky having to go to Chicago/Rockford next week. Guess
              there are worse places to have to travel in winter. Did you remember to
              plug in the rental car John?

              And you left out Windsprint as a choice! a traitor to his own choices even!
              :)

              "Real men build pointy sterns".

              But, June Bug gets my vote for all around usefulness, if you can put up with
              the rowing thwarts getting in the way for sailing. I find it interesting
              that Surf was originally one of the most popular instant boats; woodenboat
              used to have one in the launchings section every two or three months it
              seems back in the eighties. yet I don't remember seeing a post on this list
              ever from a surf builder.

              BTW, this list and the plethora of successful builders that post here has
              given me an idea that will help to determine once and for all if WoodenBoat
              is truly out of touch with us as "homebuilders". There must be at least
              20-30 completed boats represented on this list (adding Gregg it goes up
              another 5 :)). Suppose all of you submit pics to Mike O'brien for the
              Launchings section at the same time. The Woodenboat launchings section used
              to be my favorite part of the magazine, now they only seem to show boats
              which are beautiful and are typically built by professionals-I think they're
              starting to discriminate against homely, sloppily painted, bolger boxes. A
              mass submission might prove it, if they didn't publish any of them. Of
              course, some of you guys have made your bolger boxes beautiful (Mr. Lea
              among several) which may end up disproving my theory.

              Robert & Amy Lundy
              St. Petersburg, fla.
              robert@...
              amy@...
              www.seawyse.com/flboatyard

            • Bill Turnbull
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 26, 2000
                I just returned to Tampa from beautiful Akron, Ohio.
                Temp while leaving was about 5. Temp here is not a
                heck of a lot better. And yes, I travel more than I
                would like.

                Just got my plans for Michalaks Piccup Pram and hope
                to pick up some plywood this weekend. I'll probably
                use AC pine if I can find some good samples in this
                area. My only concern is weight. I'm trying to avoid
                fir so that I have fewer worries about checking.

                Bill

                --- John Bell <jmbell@...> wrote:

                > At 09:06 AM 1/25/00 -0800, you wrote:
                > >I am hoping someone can offer me some advise or
                > opinions on which boat
                > >is right for me. But first an introduction......
                > >My name is Tim Bush and I live in the mid upper
                > north central part of
                > >the States (ok, Minnesota, the land of HARD water).
                > This is the first
                > >time I have posted to this board, but I have been
                > reading it for a
                >

                > Hard water: Tonight I just arrived in International
                > Falls, Minnesota("the
                > Icebox of the Nation") having flown in from Atlanta
                > this morning. It's five
                > degrees Fahrenheit and the only liquid water around
                > is that which is
                > diluting my scotch as the ice cubes slowly melt
                > while I'm sitting in the
                > bar at the Holiday Inn. Based on what I saw today,
                > you need an iceboat!
                >
                > Seriously, any one of the boats you named would be
                > good choices. For ease
                > of building, JB gets my vote. My favorite of the
                > bunch is Surf, though.
                >
                > Anybody else on this list travel a lot?
                >
                > Best,
                >
                > John Bell
                > International Falls, MN (but Kennesaw, GA is home!)
                >

                > John Bell - jmbell@...
                > ---------------------------------
                > http://jmbell.home.mindspring.com

                > For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files
                > and, access them from
                > anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days. Click here
                > for a chance to win a
                > digital camera.

                > --
                > http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=bolger&m=1

                http://im.yahoo.com
              • Robert N. Lundy
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 26, 2000
                  You're in Tampa-neat.

                  Best grade of Pine Ply is B/C, but the B is 99% as good as the A side of fir
                  and the c side is much better. I got really good 1/4" B/C from Home Depot
                  for $14. Co Lumber is really good for
                  #1 clear fir.

                  Robert & Amy Lundy
                  St. Petersburg, fla.
                  robert@...
                  amy@...

                • Bill Turnbull
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 26, 2000
                    Actually, I am in Dunedin, so not to far from you.

                    Thanks for the advice on B/C instead of A/C. I have
                    not actually looked at Home Depot yet but planned to
                    check out Lowes, Home Depot and Cox for the 1/4 ply.

                    You had mentioned that fiberglass coatings in St. Pete
                    had Marine ply at a good price, did you ever go look
                    at their marine ply?

                    Bill

                    --- "Robert N. Lundy" <robert@...> wrote:

                    > You're in Tampa-neat.
                    >
                    > Best grade of Pine Ply is B/C, but the B is 99% as
                    > good as the A side of fir
                    > and the c side is much better. I got really good
                    > 1/4" B/C from Home Depot
                    > for $14. Co Lumber is really good for
                    > #1 clear fir.
                    >
                    > Robert & Amy Lundy
                    > St. Petersburg, fla.
                    > robert@...
                    > amy@...

                    http://im.yahoo.com
                  • Carter Kennedy
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 26, 2000
                      john bell <jmbel-@...> wrote:
                      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=1963
                      > At 09:06 AM 1/25/00 -0800, you wrote:
                      > >I am hoping someone can offer me some advise or opinions on which
                      boat
                      > >is right for me.

                      > Seriously, any one of the boats you named would be good choices. For
                      ease
                      > of building, JB gets my vote. My favorite of the bunch is Surf,
                      though.

                      What are the virtues of the Surf that put it above the others in your
                      opinion?

                      Carter Kennedy
                    • djost
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 26, 2000
                        I would like to see someone draw up a modern home built version of the
                        old Daysailer 1. This was a good weatherly boat, with full flotation that
                        could take a family for a sail and was easily handled by the average sailor.
                        Joel White's adaptation of the Herreshoff 12.5 is inspiring, as well as
                        Bolger's plywood Seabird. both being good examples of good boats being
                        modernized to ease construction and simplified sailing, more the case with
                        the later. Surf looks like a good choice but it does not look as though it
                        is easily recoverable in the case of capsize, and it appears to be a liable
                        to submarining going downwind with a full head of steam.
                        Does anyone have any other thoughts.

                        David Jost

                        Carter Kennedy wrote:

                        > john bell <jmbel-@...> wrote:
                        > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=1963
                        > > At 09:06 AM 1/25/00 -0800, you wrote:
                        > > >I am hoping someone can offer me some advise or opinions on which
                        > boat
                        > > >is right for me.
                        >

                        > > Seriously, any one of the boats you named would be good choices. For
                        > ease
                        > > of building, JB gets my vote. My favorite of the bunch is Surf,
                        > though.
                        >
                        > What are the virtues of the Surf that put it above the others in your
                        > opinion?
                        >
                        > Carter Kennedy

                        > For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them from
                        > anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days. Click here for a chance to win a
                        > digital camera.
                        >
                        > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/
                      • John Bell
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 26, 2000
                          At 10:34 AM 1/26/00 -0800, you wrote:
                          >john bell <jmbel-@...> wrote:
                          >> Seriously, any one of the boats you named would be good choices. For
                          >ease
                          >> of building, JB gets my vote. My favorite of the bunch is Surf,
                          >though.
                          >
                          >What are the virtues of the Surf that put it above the others in your
                          >opinion?
                          >
                          >Carter Kennedy

                          That's easy: it's the prettiest!

                          I've always felt one of the best reasons to build one boat over another is
                          that you like the way it looks. Being seen in a boat you think is pretty is
                          a nice feeling. One of the main things I liked about my Windsprint was
                          that it was very pretty.

                          Best,

                          JB

                          John Bell - jmbell@...
                          ---------------------------------
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 27, 2000
                            Thanks for the input everyone. For a little square boat Junebug sure
                            seems to have a following. I am still undecided. Perhaps I sould set
                            the NIB book in the yard and toss lawn darts at it to see which page
                            gets hit, or maybe just flip a coin.........

                            > Seriously, any one of the boats you named would be good choices. For
                            ease
                            > of building, JB gets my vote. My favorite of the bunch is Surf,
                            though.

                            > Anybody else on this list travel a lot?
                            >
                            > Best,
                            >
                            > John Bell
                            > International Falls, MN (but Kennesaw, GA is home!)
                            >

                            > John Bell - jmbell@...
                          • Fries, John
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 27, 2000
                              Picking the 'right' boat is probably the must difficult thing to do. I had
                              (have) the same problem as you. Unless you just go ahead and pick one, then
                              start on it, you'll be analyzing forever. Any boat is better than no boat.
                              If its any help, I build Gypsy after strongly considering JuneBug. The
                              decision came down to looks and (my own) perception of versatility.

                            • Jack Bearden
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 27, 2000
                                Tim, re your comment about many and varied remote lakes in your area ( I think you said that)... which might not have handy boat ramps: JB has very strong advantages. You can launch her vertically from the edge of a cliff, lower a picnic basket by rope, dive into the water and pull yourself on board with no risk of getting your sandwiches soggy.

                                jeb in the grey zone* on the Fundy shore

                                (* that long stretch between winter solstice and spring equanox)
                              • Clyde S. Wisner
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 28, 2000
                                  Me too, so much enthusiasm, I think I'll build one too. Clyde Wisner

                                  Tim Bush wrote:

                                  Thanks for the input everyone. For a little square boat Junebug sure
                                  seems to have a following. I am still undecided. Perhaps I sould set
                                  the NIB book in the yard and toss lawn darts at it to see which page
                                  gets hit, or maybe just flip a coin.........

                                  > Seriously, any one of the boats you named would be good choices. For
                                  ease
                                  > of building, JB gets my vote. My favorite of the bunch is Surf,
                                  though.

                                  > Anybody else on this list travel a lot?
                                  >
                                  > Best,
                                  >
                                  > John Bell
                                  > International Falls, MN (but Kennesaw, GA is home!)
                                  >

                                  > John Bell - jmbell@...

                                  BREAKTHROUGH ALTERNATIVE TO VIAGRA
                                  NOW AVAILABLE WITHOUT A PRESCRIPTION!
                                  http://click.egroups.com/1/619/5/_/3457/_/948999226/

                                  -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=bolger&m=1

                                • david
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 28, 2000
                                    Jeb,
                                    Sounds good, but getting her back up to the car in the evening would be hell....
                                    david

                                    Jack Bearden wrote:

                                    Tim, re your comment about many and varied remote lakes in your area ( I think you said that)... which might not have handy boat ramps: JB has very strong advantages. You can launch her vertically from the edge of a cliff, lower a picnic basket by rope, dive into the water and pull yourself on board with no risk of getting your sandwiches soggy.

                                    jeb in the grey zone* on the Fundy shore

                                    (* that long stretch between winter solstice and spring equanox)

                                    Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! ZERO! Rates as low as 0.0%

                                    Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points,

                                    no hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the credit

                                    you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:
                                    http://click.egroups.com/1/931/5/_/3457/_/949004361/

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 1, 2000
                                      <JB has very strong advantages. You can launch her vertically from the
                                      edge of a cliff, lower a picnic basket by rope, dive into the water and
                                      pull yourself on board with no risk of getting your sandwiches soggy.>

                                      This is probibly not far from the truth. I built my first boat when I
                                      was in high school. It was a "kit" from Folbot. A Kayot or some such
                                      name (memory is the first thing to go)it was a 17' long plywood covered
                                      canoe built much like JuneBug. I liked to paddle it in the streams that
                                      often connect lakes here abouts. One day I came across a beaver dam.
                                      Not wanting to get out and portage the beast, I opted instead to try to
                                      jump it. I paddled like hell, unfortunatly hell wasn't enough to clear
                                      the stern. The bow plunged and embeded itself in the muck below the dam
                                      and stern stayed on the damn dam. I hung there for a brief moment
                                      before fliping over and landing in the muck myself. The final tally was
                                      one very bruised teen age ego and absolutly no damage to the boat. Not
                                      even a creak. If JuneBug is half as tough a cliff should be no problem.

                                      Tim (remembering past glory) Bush

                                      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=2041