foldingschoonerinOz update

  • pauldayau
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 2002
      I'dlove to be able to say that the schooner is ready to go, but it
      aint.
      tomorow I'll be buying the outer hull paint come hell or high water
      as Isold a heap of plants at a trash and treasure today. Inside hull
      is all fitted out except fpr rowlocks. Its so comfy that the kids
      have already camped out twice in it.
      our last lake is getting too low for ski boats, woo hoo so I'm
      looking forward to a quiet launch.
      I started shoppingfor a trailer (Aus$2500) The boat has only cost
      $2100 so far!. On a run to the tip I bought an axle , hubs, wheels
      and springs for $25 , Then picked up $30 worth of scrap ally while
      the tippy was putting away his $25.
      after a good look through my steel supply I reckon I've most of the
      bits I need, there might even be enough for new tyres!
      My costing tally system is sitting at Aus $81 per foot of boat
      built . I'd be fascinated to hear how otherbolger beauties compare to
      this
      Cheers all. Paul, Waltzing Matilda. Kalgoorlie, Western Australia'
      where schooner means a large cold glass of beer
    • stephensonhw@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 7, 2002
        In a message dated 07-04-02 9:31:22 PM E. Australia Standard Time,
        wattleweedooseeds@... writes:

        > Cheers all. Paul, Waltzing Matilda. Kalgoorlie, Western Australia'
        > where schooner means a large cold glass of beer

        ... and you're a long way from anywhere to sail your schooner. Make sure it's
        a good trailer.

        Howard

      • pauldayau
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 8, 2002
          --- In bolger@y..., stephensonhw@a... wrote:
          > In a message dated 07-04-02 9:31:22 PM E. Australia Standard Time,
          > wattleweedooseeds@b... writes:
          >
          > > Cheers all. Paul, Waltzing Matilda. Kalgoorlie, Western Australia'
          > > where schooner means a large cold glass of beer
          >
          > ... and you're a long way from anywhere to sail your schooner. Make
          sure it's
          > a good trailer.
          >
          > Howard
          ]
          The nearest lake at preseent is 100 kms , southern ocean 400km,
          indean ocean 600 kms.
          With a good cyclone season we can get lakes up tp 10 kms long and
          a river/lake system called ponton creek nearly 400 kms long!
          It doesnt happen often . the records started in 1890 and the wet
          years were 1918, 1948,1975/76, 1992,1993,1995,1998,2000.
          Each year broke the record,
          nomally we have a winter peak and a summer peak of rain.
          can anyone pick a trend here that should get the greenhouse people
          thinking?
          Possibilities includ a decade or soof dry( less than6"a year) or a
          wet year next .a wet year will be one with a spell of 4 days of good
          rain say6" in 4days. this cuts us off for a week and fills all the
          lakes. Last week a storm of 2" in 15 minutes missed the right
          drainage system by about 2 kms and flowed out into sand plains.
          Back to trailers! The trend here is to build a trailer a bit
          flexible with good 8 ply tyres, a belly plate of thin sheet metal ,
          for the stones and wildlife then remember to slow down all the way to
          the lake .
          Cheers all Paul
        • pauldayau
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2002
            Evening all , the Schooner Waltzing Matilda is still chuging along.
            this week Imade all the stainless deck fittings and screwed them on.
            Pintles made and fitted no gudgeons yet. heavy duty ghine latches
            nearly completed lots of 10g screws to sqeeze into tiny holes.
            building has slowed due the lack of rain to fill any lakes or ponds
            bigger than the schooner!. our last lake has finally dried up.
            meaning a 400 km drive to water. A local swimmind pool is starting to
            be an option.
            well done with documenting those Gulls, even my darling wifeis
            fascinated to see one now. not that she'd have one built in the
            house. Thats my excuse for a big shed, and she'd fill that with her
            stuff if she had a chance.
            build on bolger builders,
            Paaul
          • stephensonhw@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2002
              In a message dated 04-06-02 9:59:59 PM E. Australia Standard Time,
              wattleweedooseeds@... writes:

              > well done with documenting those Gulls, even my darling wifeis
              > fascinated to see one now. not that she'd have one built in the
              > house. Thats my excuse for a big shed, and she'd fill that with her
              > stuff if she had a chance.

              Reminds me of the TV ad that's been running here recently. First scene: the
              husband is repairing his motorbike in the kitchen. Second scene: the wife is
              phoning to order a shed for the backyard. Third scene: wife is sitting in the
              shed by herself, knitting and watching TV.

              Howard