[bolger] Re: Martha Jane balance lug draft -formulae?

  • Chuck Leinweber
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 23, 2000
      Tim:

      I have a copy of Leather's "Spritsails and Lugsails" and a scanner. I would
      be happy to send any relevant pages if you know what they are. I don't find
      anything in the index under "cutting" or "shape".

      Chuck Leinweber
      Duckworks Magazine
      http://www.duckworksmagazine.com

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 26, 2000
        "chuck leinweber" <duckwork-@...> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=1919
        > Tim:
        >
        > I have a copy of Leather's "Spritsails and Lugsails" and a scanner.
        I would
        > be happy to send any relevant pages if you know what they are. I
        don't find
        > anything in the index under "cutting" or "shape".

        Well, it's a great book anyway.

        I think the key is "cut the sail with lots of draft". Another key is
        only a supposition on my part, have the luff rope made of spectra so
        you can really tauten that sucka, and use spectra halyards and tackline.
      • Frank San Miguel
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 27, 2000
          I've just finished a 15 foot Sharpie with a 100 sqft sprit-boomed sail
          and am in the process of rigging it (http://fsanmiguel.homepage.com).
          I'm looking for a good book on detailed rigging for traditional small
          boat rigs. I've got Chapelle's "American Small Sailing Craft",
          Bolger's "103 Small Boat Rigs", a book on rigging ships and "Sailmakers
          Apprentice" but they don't get into the details that I am interested
          in. Things like gaskets and blocks, sheets and halyards, leathering
          spars, fastening snotters, stuff like that. My plans are perfectly
          adequate for rigging the boat, but I am a junkie for technical trivia,
          even if I don't use it.

          I looked on bibliofind.com, bn.com and amazon.com and didn't find
          "Spritsails and Lugsails" any other books or sugguestions?

          Frank

          "c. o'donnell" <dadadat-@...> wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=2002
          > "chuck leinweber" <duckwork-@...> wrote:
          > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=1919
          > > Tim:
          > >
          > > I have a copy of Leather's "Spritsails and Lugsails" and a scanner.
          > I would
          > > be happy to send any relevant pages if you know what they are. I
          > don't find
          > > anything in the index under "cutting" or "shape".
          > >

          > Well, it's a great book anyway.
          >
          > I think the key is "cut the sail with lots of draft". Another key is
          > only a supposition on my part, have the luff rope made of spectra so
          > you can really tauten that sucka, and use spectra halyards and
          tackline.

        • Chris Crandall
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 27, 2000
            On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Frank San Miguel wrote:
            > I looked on bibliofind.com, bn.com and amazon.com and didn't find
            > "Spritsails and Lugsails" any other books or sugguestions?

            You're unlikely to find it--I've searched for two years. Still, you can
            find what you like in another John Leather book, "The Gaff Rig," which is
            widely available.

            Chris Crandall crandall@... (785) 864-4131
            Department of Psychology University of Kansas Lawrence, KS 66045
            I have data convincingly disconfirming the Duhem-Quine hypothesis.
          • Ford & Mary Ann Walton
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 27, 2000
              Dear Frank,

              For details of traditional rigging, look in various books by Hervey
              Garrett Smith, esp. "The Arts of the Sailor," and (a little more
              modern), "The Rigger's Apprentice" by Brion Toss.

              Ford Walton
            • tjfatchen@ace.net.au