Swallows and Amazons (was: Queen Mab rig?)

  • Sal's Dad
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3 2:34 AM
      > And the last two books
      > that I read were _River Horse_ and _Swallows and Amazons_....

      Then you've just got eleven Ransome books to go. _We Didn't Mean to Go to
      Sea_ is the best in the series. _The Big Six_ (or was it _Coot Club_ ?)
      has a nice approach to cruising: the girls/women stay in the big boat, while
      the boys sleep a little way off, in a sailing dinghy/spare room, rigged with
      an awning.

      "WildCat" would be a nice name for the I-60 ( after the schooner in _Peter
      Duck_ ). Or perhaps the pair should be "Peter Duck" and "Missee Lee".

      Curtis
    • futabachan
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3 6:44 AM
        > _The Big Six_ (or was it _Coot Club_ ?)
        > has a nice approach to cruising: the girls/women stay in the big
        > boat, while the boys sleep a little way off, in a sailing
        > dinghy/spare room, rigged with an awning.

        It's _Coot Club_, at least according to PCB in _BWAOM_, in which
        he suggests the Cartopper as a dinghy to use in precisely this
        fashion.

        -- Sue --
        (who has, in fact, been poring over Cartopper plans lately)

        --
        Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
      • pvanderwaart
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3 7:22 AM
          > (who has, in fact, been poring over Cartopper plans lately)

          It's the Japanese Beach Cruiser that was designed with the S&A in
          mind. This boat doesn't seem to have drawn a lot of interest, I
          suppose because it's a little bigger and more complicated than most
          folks want to build. I'm not a fan of the boomless rig myself. Still,
          it looks pretty good....

          Peter