Re: Queen Mab rig?

  • futabachan
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002
      > But stop looking at little boats and go build I60.

      Well, I would, if I actually had plans for one. I've got all
      this shiny new shop equipment, see, and an enforced wait until
      at least August or September or so. And the last two books
      that I read were _River Horse_ and _Swallows and Amazons_....

      -- Sue --
      (definitely building a Gull in the interim, and eyeing a Cartopper
      or a Peero or a Paradox or some combination thereof)

      --
      Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
    • rnlocnil
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002
        Paradox? Wouldn't one do? I assume the I60 can go on a mooring.
        --- In bolger@y..., "futabachan" <futabachan@y...> wrote:
        snip
        > (definitely building a Gull in the interim, and eyeing a Cartopper
        > or a Peero or a Paradox or some combination thereof)
        >
        > --
        > Susan Davis <futabachan@y...>

        (Didn't see Paradox in database. Curious)
      • porcupinefysh
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002
          Sue,

          To answer your first question, the sails of Queen Mab and Peero are
          different--not by much, but different. I doubt that Bolger
          referred to one when drawing the other; he just likes those
          particular proportions and the boats needed about the same sized
          sails.

          Queen Mab is designed for plywood lapstrake, which is why you may have
          thought there was a sheet plywood version. There isn't, and the
          strip-plank alternative is not detailed in the plans. Stripping is
          easier than lapstrake, but heavier. She will be quite a little handful
          to built: eighteen strakes, six frames, a curved transom, etc. etc.
          I'm looking forward to getting started, probably this week. It'll
          probably take all spring and most of the summer to finish.

          It might be interesting match racing a Peero against a Queen Mab.
          Peero has the greater waterline length, but QM has more stability. Of
          course, if appearance is factored into the meet, the humble pirogue
          wouldn't have a chance,

          porky