hitch extension for long boards

  • rlspell2000
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2, 2002
      I need to pick up some 14 foot boards and haul them home in the 6
      foot bed of the Tacoma.

      I'm going to make an arm that plugs into the reciever for the hitch,
      and extends out about 3 feet. The part where the boards are being
      held up will be in a line with the top of the tailgate and the bottom
      of the bed behind the cab.

      Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?
    • Jeff Blunck
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2002
        Other than hope the police don't see you. It's rare for anyplace to allow more than 3' to extend out past the rear most part of a vehicle, even with a red flag.

        Most officers tend to ignore a few extra feet but 8' might be a bit of a stretch. Get the ends high enough so even pickups can't run them through their windshields and scurry home, you may make it fine.

        Jeff
        I need to pick up some 14 foot boards and haul them home in the 6
        foot bed of the Tacoma.

        I'm going to make an arm that plugs into the reciever for the hitch,
        and extends out about 3 feet. The part where the boards are being
        held up will be in a line with the top of the tailgate and the bottom
        of the bed behind the cab.

        Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Bolger rules!!!

      • rlspell2000
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2002
          Humm. They sell extension that stick out 6 ft online... Have to check
          the local laws.

          --- In bolger@y..., "Jeff Blunck" <boatbuilding@g...> wrote:
          > Other than hope the police don't see you. It's rare for anyplace
          to allow more than 3' to extend out past the rear most part of a
          vehicle, even with a red flag.

          > Most officers tend to ignore a few extra feet but 8' might be a bit
          of a stretch. Get the ends high enough so even pickups can't run
          them through their windshields and scurry home, you may make it fine.

          > Jeff

          Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
          > - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@y...

          Service.

        • Derek Waters
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2, 2002
          • rlspell2000
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2002
              Don't you LOVE the Interent? From the Oklahom Statues:
              §47-12-213.

              Whenever the load upon any vehicle extends to the rear four (4)
              feet
              or more beyond the bed or body of such vehicle, there shall be
              displayed at the extreme rear end of the load, at the time
              specified
              in Section 12-201 hereof, a red light or lantern plainly visible
              from
              a distance of at least five hundred (500) feet to the sides and
              rear.
              The red light or lantern required under this section shall be in
              addition to the red rear light required upon every vehicle. At any
              other time there shall be displayed at the extreme rear end of such
              load a red flag or cloth not less than twelve (12) inches square
              and
              so hung that the entire area is visible to the driver of a vehicle
              approaching from the rear.

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 2002
                Ya, but simpler. No light, cuz will use it in daylight. And want the
                board in at an angle from the top of the tailgate to the bottom of
                the bed behind the cab. May go strait out, haven't decided.

                --- In bolger@y..., "Derek Waters" <dgw@d...> wrote:
                > Like this?
                >
                > http://www.rowmac.com/quickhaul/
                >
                > Derek
              • gem54
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2, 2002
                  Working plumbing with my uncle we would always tie long loads to the
                  passenger side of the truck. We would pad the pipe where it contacted
                  the body and tie it to something under the hood, the passenger side
                  mirror and the rear bumper. Got some heavy loads of 21' long pipe to
                  jobsites that way.

                  George

                  --- In bolger@y..., "rlspell2000" <richard@s...> wrote:
                  > I need to pick up some 14 foot boards and haul them home in the 6
                  > foot bed of the Tacoma.
                  >
                  > I'm going to make an arm that plugs into the reciever for the
                  hitch,
                  > and extends out about 3 feet. The part where the boards are being
                  > held up will be in a line with the top of the tailgate and the
                  bottom
                  > of the bed behind the cab.
                  >
                  > Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?
                • rnlocnil
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 2, 2002
                    Around here, when I see a pickup with a long load, it is generally
                    tied to an overhead frame. Don't they have small square holes in the
                    corners of the beds of pickup trucks for these? Shouldn't take too
                    much trouble to make some pipe or 2X2 frames, should it? Probably good
                    to make sure rear frame is fastened down and maybe add diagonal
                    stringer, rope, or cable to resist braking forces. THese frames would
                    probably be good for plywood or small boats as well, I imagine.
                    --- In bolger@y..., "rlspell2000" <richard@s...> wrote:
                    > I need to pick up some 14 foot boards and haul them home in the 6
                    > foot bed of the Tacoma.
                    >
                    > I'm going to make an arm that plugs into the reciever for the hitch,
                    > and extends out about 3 feet. The part where the boards are being
                    > held up will be in a line with the top of the tailgate and the
                    bottom
                    > of the bed behind the cab.
                    >
                    > Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?
                  • Clyde S. Wisner
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 2, 2002
                      Put them flat in the bed with the tailgate down and put some cement blocks or other weight on them
                      and a flag on tail and go. Clyde

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 2, 2002
                        Actualy, I had some 2" square laying around. 15 minute of welding and
                        a can of spray paint and I now have a 5 ft hitch extender!

                        --- In bolger@y..., "Clyde S. Wisner" <clydewis@c...> wrote:
                        > Put them flat in the bed with the tailgate down and put some cement
                        blocks or other weight on them
                        > and a flag on tail and go. Clyde
                        >
                        > rlspell2000 wrote:
                        >
                        > > I need to pick up some 14 foot boards and haul them home in the 6
                        > > foot bed of the Tacoma.
                        > >
                        > > I'm going to make an arm that plugs into the reciever for the
                        hitch,
                        > > and extends out about 3 feet. The part where the boards are being
                        > > held up will be in a line with the top of the tailgate and the
                        bottom
                        > > of the bed behind the cab.
                        > >
                        > > Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?
                        > >

                        > > Bolger rules!!!
                        > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging dead horses
                        > > - pls take "personals" off-list, stay on topic, and punctuate
                        > > - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts, snip all you
                        like
                        > > - To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
                        Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                        > > - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@y...
                        > >
                        > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                      • roger99a
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 3, 2002
                          I would just run them throught the passenger side window of my
                          wife's station wagon.

                          Roger S