Clam Panga

  • Wade Leftwich
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2002
      Thomas,

      Have you built a Clam Skiff? If so, how is it in rough water? As you probably
      know, the Great Lakes can throw up some nasty short steep waves in a hurry
      when the wind starts to blow.

      I got the Cabin Clam Skiff plans from PCB&F last winter, and do unroll and
      study them from time to time. Maybe I should just build the thing (without
      cabin) and find out for myself ...

      Wade Leftwich
      Ithaca, NY

      >    Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 22:11:18 -0500 (EST)
      >    From: thomas dalzell <proaconstrictor@...>
      > Subject: Re: Panga (como en BC Sur)
      >
      > As you dougtless know, Bolger considers the Clam Skiff
      > etc... to be a V hull.  That is obviously a bit of an
      > exageration, but about 10 years ago I wrote him to see
      > what he thought of the Clam Skiff as a Bonefisher, you
      > know a flats skiff.  The question was sort of "do you
      > think I could get away with using the CS, or wouldn't
      > I be better off getting you to design for me a a real
      > Bonefishing skiff".  He was all for my just adding the
      > decks, consoles, rod carrying gear in a Clam skiff.
    • thomas dalzell
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2002
        No I never did build mine, I am not really a motor
        boat person, though I am an avid fly fisherman, and at
        the time of asking was just back from a trip to the
        keys. Sort of inexplicably (I am just across the lake
        from you) I built a catamaran fishing boat instead.
        I don't know how the Clam skiff would do in the spray,
        but I think that with a large enough center strip, it
        would take the wave action quite well. A number of
        people who drop in here from time to time have built
        them, and maybe they can comment.

        >>>Have you built a Clam Skiff? If so, how is it in
        rough water? As you probably <BR>
        know, the Great Lakes can throw up some nasty short
        steep waves in a hurry <BR>
        when the wind starts to blow.<BR>
        <BR>
        I got the Cabin Clam Skiff plans from PCB&F last
        winter, and do unroll and <BR>
        study them from time to time. Maybe I should just
        build the thing (without <BR>
        cabin) and find out for myself ...<BR>
        <