Re: Old Trailer

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 38 , Apr 1, 2002
      Bill,

      If I hadn't had this gift, one of those would be the thing.
      And an aluminum trailer, now you're talking!

      Harbor Freight and EZ Loader appear to be two places for a
      good small trailer sans the shipping charges. There may be
      others, yet it looks like shopping in your town or
      regionally is best.

      Here's an excellent trailer source for EVERYTHING trailer,
      located in the Southern tier.
      http://www.championtrailers.com/
      Just the paper catalog's an education.

      You might get a kick out of the tres chic, wooden, Buckboard
      Trailer in WB #s101 & 102. If I remember right, Richard
      Jagels copied the idea from LF Herreshoff.

      Lucky for us, in Oregon a boat trailer doesn't need a
      license up to 1800 lbs.

      Mark

      wmrpage@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 3/31/02 4:54:05 PM Central Standard
      > Time,
      > sbosquette@... writes:
      >
      > > Mark, I bought a utility trailer from Harborfreight, 860
      > lb capacity,
      > > I paid $149 last fall plus $5.95 for shipping I received
      > it in three
      > > days from California, I'm in Maine!!!!
      >
      > Well, this sounds like a real bargain!
      >
      > Last year I bought (on the internet) a very fancy aluminum
      > trailer for my
      > 1914 vintage B.N. Morris canoe . Didn't mind the fancy
      > price - hey, its a
      > very fancy boat and trailers designed for 18' long, 65#
      > loads are not readily
      > available on the used trailer market. (Shipped UPS from
      > Ohio, the shipping
      > costs were, to the best of my recollection an order of
      > magnitude higher than
      > yours, though.)
      >
      > However, the costs of registering a "modified" old trailer
      > v. registering a
      > new one might bear some consideration for penny-pinchers.
      >
      > To get the new trailer registered in good old MN, I paid
      > sales tax,
      > registration fee, local administration fee, license fee
      > and perhaps a couple
      > of other fees as well. It seemed like an awful lot of fees
      > at the time, but I
      > didn't want to piss off the already surly public servant
      > who was processing
      > my paperwork with any unwelcome inquiries. In any case, I
      > was set back to the
      > tune of approximately $125 to license the thing!!!
      >
      > (It boggles the mind to think that our current Govenor
      > (Jesse "The Body"TM
      > "Ventura"TM) won election on the campaign platform that
      > the license fees for
      > his Porsche were excessive!) (The second and, I believe,
      > last, plank of his
      > platform had something to do with PWC's - canoes weren't
      > in the mix,
      > obviously.) Just goes to prove that the folks who settled
      > MN (my ancestors
      > included) were not the elite of the gene pool.
      >
      > Ciao for Niao,
      > Bill in MN

    • Mark Albanese
      Message 38 of 38 , Apr 9, 2002
        Thanks for this, Chuck.

        I expected a four wire, flat harness that went front to back ( hey, let's make our first
        million again ), but this'll work, especially your alternative scheme.

        Mark