Re: motor mounting board rake, why?

  • rlspell2000
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1 8:00 AM
      Incidentaly, this guy LIED.

      The motor bracket DOES NOT go "negative" as described. At the lowest
      setting there is still "positive" rake. I.E., if mounted on a
      vertical transom, the bottom of the motor would be aft of the mount
      point.

      Glad I bought from the OTHER guys!

      Means I need to make an angled mount. Will cast a couple of wedges
      out of Al...

      --- In bolger@y..., "rlspell2000" <richard@s...> wrote:
      > reply from www.outboardsonline.com
      >
      > Hello,
      >
      > Thanks for your email. To answer your question, no the drive shaft
      > would NOT be parallel with the transom mounting bracket. Tohatsu
      and
      > Nissan motors are designed with slight "negative trim" which allows
      > them to tuck under just a bit. However, there is a mounting
      > positioning pin which you could adjust to have the shaft positioned
      > straight up and down with no variation either way. Please let me
      know
      > if you have any other questions.
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > Chris Collins
      > National Sales Manager
      > www.onlineoutboards.com
      > --- In bolger@y..., <boatbuilding@g...> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > The motor mount cross board in the motor well on the Chebacco is
      > > > offset on a bracket so the board is not vertical but raked aft.
      > > >
      > > > Why?
      > >
      > > Most sterns for outboards have at least a 10 degree rake back.
      > Outboards
      > > are built with this in mind. I was told once that it's to allow
      > the motor
      > > help lift a boat on to a plane or at least keep her nose from
      > digging in.
      > >
      > > My Tanaka worked okay on the Frolic with a vertical motor board
      > because the
      > > boat with it's rocker, would force the nose up. You may have the
      > same
      > > thing with the yours. Probably would not hurt a bit to build it
      > verticle
      > > especially on a sailboat with lot's of rocker.
      > >
      > > On flat skiff, I believe I would put it at the angle designed.
      The