Re: Trailer Considerations

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2002
      I believe that galvanized trailers are worth their price. My current
      trailer for my Pointy Skiff (yes, I know it can go on the roof) and
      Diablo is an 18 year old load rite trailer. It is as good as new,
      although it is now on its 4th set of wheel bearings. the frame is
      solid.

      Diablo sticks off the end of this one about 1 foot. It is not a
      problem with the 10hp motor, however if the motor were heavier, I
      would want some support under the transom and the motor supported.

      David Jost
      "lamenting the loss of a great day of building to cleaning the
      house."

      Galvanized or painted? Is
      > galvanized more expensive? I may decide to haul it to one of the
      > coasts one day to do some salt water sailing. I guess if that ever
      > happens, galvanized would be a necessity. I'd appreciate all
      comments
      > and insights.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Dennis Marshall -- Grand Rapids, MI
    • dnjost
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30, 2002
        Dennis,
        I forgot to mention that this current galvanized trailer is used
        in saltwater 90% of the time.

        David Jost
      • proaconstrictor
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 30, 2002
          --- In bolger@y..., "dnjost" <djost@m...> wrote:
          > Dennis,
          > I forgot to mention that this current galvanized trailer is used
          > in saltwater 90% of the time.
          >
          > David Jost

          I supose that would be a factor, but plain painted trailers just rust
          away from day one, jind of depresing. I use galvi just to deal with
          the road salt alone.
        • boatbuilding@goldencoast.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2002
            --- In bolger@y..., "dnjost" <djost@m...>
            > wrote:
            > > Dennis,
            > >    I forgot to mention that this current
            > galvanized trailer is used > in saltwater 90% of the
            > time.
            > >
            > > David Jost

            If you build your own, build it out of channel steel. No place
            then for the water to stay trapped. If you buying the axles,
            you can go with galvanized springs and fittings.

            Rinse the trailer after use. The box steel has a habit of
            getting water inside where it can't drain out, hence a lot of
            rust of time. Channel steel works fine without galvanizing as
            long as your willing to maintain it occasinally.

            That is for fresh water normally, with an occasional salt water
            dip.

            Jeff
          • Harry W. James
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 31, 2002
              Harbor freight has a boat trailer also for $300.

              http://www.harborfreight.com Item 5002-0VGA

              This is for boats up to 14' and 600#. I wouldn't hesitate to extend the
              tongue for a 16' the weight wasn't exceeded.

              HJ